The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #1401
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Alright, I checked out Nilps last post and all of a sudden he had me thinking I was about to reply to the "battle of the dorks" post. Nilp, you really have some skill in getting people confused, even outside the WW games.

Now, I'm not sure if this has been actually asked before, but how do you guys (and gals) assign reps? Do you wait for that really insightful or extremely funny piece of writing or are you a little more liberal with the kudos?

Personally, I try to rep everything I think good enough... I don't hold back too much with the reps (after all, that's what they are there for... and it makes me happy to get a rep, so why not make others happy as well?) and I specially try to rep people in the RPG forums. I think it's harder to get reps in there and some people *ahem Undome ahem* don't post much elsewhere yet are excelent writers and deserve the aknowledgement. Also, bringing up interesting (even if not completely accurate) ideas in a discussion is rep-worthy. One of the things I like the most over here is that people really have smarts... many know LOTS about Tolkien and Literature in general and the discussions sometimes are far too complex for me to really chip in but even those who are not as scholarly have some brains.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #1402
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Its a miricle!

It’s amazing!
After my first few posts in Assigned to Mordor, I ended up with none of my 10 latest reps being from Crazy Captions!

The End of the world is nigh!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #1403
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
I just got an unsigned rep from some one regarding posting after the deadline in the ww game(not even the one I'm currently in, it came from the No Man Is An Island one). A few others had posted before and after me and I was supposing there would be a cease posting post. Thanks for the rep anyway who ever it was.

Last edited by Naria; 02-06-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #1404
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
It is so unfair that the rep option does not allow me to pat myself on the back for my slacking off in Gondor and my bickering in Books!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:20 AM   #1405
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Heh.

Quote:
It is so unfair that the rep option does not allow me to pat myself on the back for my slacking off in Gondor and my bickering in Books! (Lush)
I concur.

Can someone devise a pat-self-in-the-back rep, which has no points, but almost (but not quite) gives the satisfaction of receiving one with points?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #1406
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Can someone devise a pat-self-in-the-back rep, which has no points, but almost (but not quite) gives the satisfaction of receiving one with points?
Open up 'alter-ego' account, do not post with it so to keep it below 50 posts required to achieve 'rating power' and pat yourself on the back to your heart's content. There is a drawback, though - you'll have to pat someone (ten someones) on the back too in the interim.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #1407
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
It is so unfair that the rep option does not allow me to pat myself on the back for my slacking off in Gondor and my bickering in Books!
I'll gladly pat you on the back if you post in Gondor!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #1408
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
YAY! Finally my long climb has given result! Finally I reached the top of Taniquetil! I've been 3 points from it for a week now.

I want to thank Firefoot especially, as she was the one to give me the last rep I needed... And for finding an old post worth repping I also want to thank all the other's that have given me reps after my comeback not long ago. I guess you know who you are...

But now I'm going to take back my place one the 2nd page in the rep-list so watch out Just kidding. Thanks a lot people!

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #1409
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
YAY! Finally I have a bright green square!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #1410
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Inflation.....

Finally! You only joined in January!!!!

I was lucky in that I joined shortly after the rep system was activated and everyone was awestruck when Fordim (i think was the leader at that point) got a shiny square. I was overwhelmed to get a rep worth 10 whole precious points from Mr Munificent.... and was delighted to be no fool of a took..... *old lady sigh *

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 02-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #1411
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu

I know, I know...but Nogrod only joined in January too, and he has two shiny squares!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #1412
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
I think it must have something to do with your post-count. and your post-per-day average. You're insane, Jenny. Do you have a life apart from the 'Downs?!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #1413
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Of course I do...I'm even married (and men are high-maintenance)

The thing is, I have a job that leaves me with a great deal of free time, and I'm also living in a brand-new city 3 states away from my hometown. I don't really have any RL friends in the area yet apart from my husband...therefore lots of time to post on the 'Downs.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #1414
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Sting

I would like to thank TGWBS for my new shiny 11th box. I feel so awesome now!

...well, in a pathetic, geeky way. But awesome.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #1415
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Gothmog, you're quite welcome. Congrats.

Amazing what reps will do to a person's mental state - about a month or two ago I hit this huge dry streak and it was terribly depressing... And then you get a whole bunch in a week and it makes you ecstatic.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #1416
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
currently at 2730... getting so clsoe to 3000... tahnks to all the people that have repped me so far too, most of them Gurthang
Old 02-16-2006, 01:45 AM   #1417
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Amazing what reps will do to a person's mental state - about a month or two ago I hit this huge dry streak and it was terribly depressing... And then you get a whole bunch in a week and it makes you ecstatic.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying my best not to care too much anymore, but it's really hard...
Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #1418
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Just curious

Is there a way to see the number of reps that people have been given? It would be interesting to see how that list might differ from the list of rep points, if it does. Because if a person gets most of their reps from the people without as many rep points, their rep isn't going to be as high as someone who might not get as many reps but receives most of them from people higher up on the list.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #1419
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Is there a way to see the number of reps that people have been given?
Not that I know of, though it's possible the administration could.

If it is more blessed to give than to receive, it would be interesting to have a list of those who give the most reputations. The Barrow-Wight has compiled a list on occasion in the past, but as far as I know, there's no public access to that information normally. Anyway, if we all concentrated more on giving points than receiving them, we would all have an active, not passive, role in the reputation system.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #1420
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
If it is more blessed to give than to receive, it would be interesting to have a list of those who give the most reputations.
Here, here!
Perhaps there should be a golden rep box for every 100th time you rep someone. I say this as it would be another thing on the 'member's list' page and you could then sort by who is the biggest giver.
Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #1421
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hookbill, you're strangely obsessed with golden rep boxes. It can't be doing you any good...

In any case, rep-given boxes would be down to V-Bulletin, not Mr Wight. I'm not sure they offer them.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #1422
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Hookbill, you're strangely obsessed with golden rep boxes. It can't be doing you any good...
But... they'd be so pretty!

It’s the next logical colour.
Green- positive
Red – Negative
Yellow / Gold – Would look cool!

I suppose white would also work.
Anyway, this is all irrelevant, as you say; it’s not up to Lord Wight. But we can dream… We can dream…

Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #1423
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Question Reps, darn reps, and Statistics

Perhaps we could ask Barrow Wight to invite HerenIstarion to help him compile a data base to supplement HI's Public Research threads?

We could have a statistical compilation of Number of reps given, Number of reps received, posts with highest reps (both in terms of count and actual times repped), which thread/forum sees the most consistent traffic in terms of number of reps given, which thread/forum each repper prefers in giving out reps, which thread/forum receives the highest rep counts.

We could determine patterns in our preferences and tastes. Do old time Downers rep differently from the newer members? Is age a factor in rep history? Do Downers cluster in a few threads or rep across the board?

Who would need maths homework to learn statistics? Not us say the little green Downers.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #1424
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, wouldn't that be a grand thing?!? Then, after statistics are compiled and made available, some astute Downer could model the data and predict (using Bayes's theorem and probabilities) the most likely times, threads, text, etc with which to garner rep. Instead of thinking about specific threads/posts or discussing an issue dear to one's heart, the wielder could simply pop in with a post with the highest probability of being repped, then spend the rest of his/her time watching TV.

The power! in such an algorithm. One could perhaps even overtake Lalwendë without learning/discussing/reading a blessed thing ...ah, to dream .

(yes, that's the sound of scribbling that you hear.)
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #1425
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
I find this Reputation-thing really fantastic. But I must work at me, that I will get all the shiny boxes you all have here.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #1426
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Is there a way to see the number of reps that people have been given? It would be interesting to see how that list might differ from the list of rep points, if it does. Because if a person gets most of their reps from the people without as many rep points, their rep isn't going to be as high as someone who might not get as many reps but receives most of them from people higher up on the list.
Actually, there is a way. That is, if you made the list...

'Top 'Reputation Givers (scroll to #127)

That is a list of the 'Top' members by number of reputations (not the points) given and received up to that point. I do hope a new one comes soon. *cough*hint*cough*
Old 02-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #1427
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Ah, thanks for that. It might be nice to see an updated version, though...
Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 AM   #1428
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Narya

Gahhh, I got another unsigned rep for the Outracing the Flames rpg. Please let me know who you are--even pm me if you'd like. I like to thank people for giving rep points! Pleeeeezzze let me know, it's driving me nuts
Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #1429
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, whoever you are, for the anonymous rep for the Assigned to Mordor rpg. Nice to know somebody's reading it besides us players and mods....
Old 02-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #1430
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks for all the reps! I'm just 5 under 1000!! Oh and I'd just like to say I am not Strange!!! (ok maybe a little)
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #1431
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Anakronist
Thanks, whoever you are, for the anonymous rep for the Assigned to Mordor rpg.
Oddly enough, I got one too. Perhaps there's a serial, uh, nameless ATM repper around?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #1432
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Question

This is getting mysterious. I also had an anonymous rep for the Outracing the Flames rpg. What's going on?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #1433
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria
Gahhh, I got another unsigned rep for the Outracing the Flames rpg. Please let me know who you are--even pm me if you'd like. I like to thank people for giving rep points! Pleeeeezzze let me know, it's driving me nuts
Same here!! but it doesn't bug me as much as an unsigned neg rep....

Thank you, misterious repper!!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #1434
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Oddly enough, I got one too. Perhaps there's a serial, uh, nameless ATM repper around?
Me three. It's an intriguing mystery. Thanks, whoever you are!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #1435
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, come on, BD'ers!

The reps are designed to be given to POSTS not posters . . . AND they are designed so that one can choose to be anonymous.

Just enjoy the fact that someone thought a particular post of your making was funny/well written/well thought out/& etc . . . and leave it at that . . .
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #1436
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Oh, come on, BD'ers!

The reps are designed to be given to POSTS not posters . . . AND they are designed so that one can choose to be anonymous.

Just enjoy the fact that someone thought a particular post of your making was funny/well written/well thought out/& etc . . . and leave it at that . . .
Here, here!

One should give without expecting to receive in kind, otherwise the giving is selfish... or something like that. I think I'm trying to say the reputation system shouldn't be used as an ego booster for givers... but for receivers...
yeah... Just ignore me...
Old 02-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #1437
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Me three. It's an intriguing mystery. Thanks, whoever you are!
Me four and ditto.

Pio, we usually only wish to know in order that we might thank the person for their kindness. Since it's impossible to do so directly we do it through this thread.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #1438
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Narya

Quote:
One should give without expecting to receive in kind, otherwise the giving is selfish... or something like that. I think I'm trying to say the reputation system shouldn't be used as an ego booster for givers... but for receivers...
Good point Hookbill, I like to see that I have received a rep it makes me feel good that someone took the time to read a post that I have made. And in turn I like to thank that person. But alas, if this person wishes to remain nameless that is ok with me.

Thank you annonymous repper!!

Oh yeah almost forgot again. Talking about not signing reps that's what I did yesterday, am I red in the face . All of the people from the last ww game I repped would have "great game" in the comment box. That was me...I'll finish giving more out from that game today.

Last edited by Naria; 02-17-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #1439
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh my! I go to school for six hours, come home and I find about seven new reps!! How flattering!! I thank you everyone for reps for the last game and that 1 rep from Saucy for my 1st deathday ( ). It sure does pay off to make it to the end. Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #1440
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Me four and ditto.

Pio, we usually only wish to know in order that we might thank the person for their kindness. Since it's impossible to do so directly we do it through this thread.

Too risk stating the blatantly obvious - people may wish to give anonymously. That is their right.

Personally, I hate it if people publicise my reps to them here - so much so that if I notice I ask them to edit their post. For me it is a private gift not a public award.

While I usually sign my reps this practice would encourage me to rep anonymously anyone I couldn't trust to be discreet. I ALWAYS sign my occasional neg reps.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Closed Thread