The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #2881
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien not the GREATEST WRITER EVER??! Blasphemy! Well..., not really.

Welcome to the Downs Feanorsdoom!

Last edited by Morwen; 06-03-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #2882
MarkJohn

I was brought here by a strange dream

I was brought here by a strange dream.

But now that I find myself in this place, it seems far more welcoming than I had supposed.

Firstly, let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hockley and I am an author of sorts. I have just published my debut novel and my only hope for it is that someone (just a handful would do!!) will be generous enough to take the time to read it. I also hope that I will make some new friends here, as I have a genuine passion for Tolkien and the fantasy genre and would love to get to know others who feel the same way.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #2883
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi, MarkJohn, and welcome to the Downs! We hope you will enjoy yourself here.

I'm closing this thread and will move your post to the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread (top of the Novices and Newcomers forum), where members can read your introduction and welcome you. Individual greeting threads are routinely closed and deleted or merged, so that the forum doesn't get cluttered with them.

If you have any questions that aren't answered in the Forum FAQ and Forum Policies threads, feel free to write me or any of the other moderators a PM and we will do our best to help. For more ideas on posting here, you can check out the Guidelines for Forum Posting thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #2884
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*The Dark Elf bows*

I am perhaps new to this forum, but not to Middle-earth on the web, having been about the internet in the guise of Morthoron since the 1990's. The question remains as to why I haven't stopped by sooner, but let's just say I stumbled on the Barrow Downs site while enroute to looking up something completely different; late, but fortuitous nonetheless.

I am a writer of note in some circles (and infamous in others *shrugs*). Oddly enough, I first read about Tolkien while in grade school (actually, it was his obituary in the Detroit Free Press in 1973). The paper clipping (which I still have) led me to reading the Hobbit, and now I keep the Tolkien estate subsidized through annual purchases of their product (which has grown quite voluminous).

Thank you for the opportunity to post here.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #2885
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Warm welcome to Feanorsdoom, MarkJohn and Morthoron! Enjoy being dead, as we say here.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #2886
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Like Morthorond, I'm from Michigan. Not much to say about me, except that I make knives as a hobby and hope to become a real professional someday.

I'm a lifelong fan of Tolkien and I particularly like stories from the First Age.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #2887
blood of angels
Newly Deceased

blood of angels has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril hi there im new to this site as well

hi to everyone im new to this site and would like to say hi to everyone, my name is blood of angels but most people call me angel, (i know werid name but its something i was call when i was in high school for no reason and it stuck) even though my realy name is joey lol. im from glasgow in scotland and at the moment iam sitting in a resure centre due to the rain that has flooded my house so managed to save my laptop and my books thank the gods!!! , so just a friend hello and hope i get the hang of using this site soon.
blood of angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #2888
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the Downs all newcomers I've missed during my sojourn! Hope you have a dead good time here!

Blood of Angels: hey brilliant another Scot! (though one from Glasgow kidding, kidding) I didn't know it was that rainy down your way.

Last edited by hewhoarisesinmight; 06-21-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #2889
Finarfin

Hi. My name is Finarfin. I chose Finarfin because he was the only Noldorin leader the didn't leave Valinor. Anyhow, I joined this forum because I'm a Tolkien freak. My favorite book of his works is the Silmarillion. I hope I can learn a lot of what I don't know.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #2890
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yes what a pansy Finarfin was. . .

Welcome to these barrows of ours, I hope you will enjoy your long and cold death with us.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #2891
sallkid
Animated Skeleton

sallkid has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, I just joined this site to discuss tolkien and his works, and also to get verification on certain holes in my knowledge. (it seems that a lot of tolkien lore has been diluted since the films)
sallkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #2892
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Though a bit late, I offer you a warm welcome, sallkid. May you have fun here.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #2893
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
*Runs, runs, runs, runs headlong into wall instead of through the door* OUCH!! Again!! Dang....

Anyway, just letting everyone know that I've returned!! Don't know if you noticed my absence to begin with, but whatever. See things haven't changed much since I left, so I can somewhat pick up where I left off! See everyone around!!

And a cold, dead welcome to all the new members around here!!

Yours truly,
~ Glirdy ~
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #2894
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Hey ya'all!

I don't come around much any more, but this is a most excellent site. I hope all of you newcomers enjoy your stay here!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #2895
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to all new members and I hope you'll have fun here!
angel, sorry to hear about your house, seems you ended up pretty much like Saruman.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #2896
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hi I'm new hehehe. My Name Is Tabby, and I live in Alaska, and am a Tolkien fanatic.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-26-2007 at 01:58 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #2897
Pieeyeddragon

The Eye slithering in

I was looking for the Seven Other Dwarves.
Now, I'll just test my sig and avatar. This is an active board.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #2898
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
hey,
i am new. my name is christopher. i live in germany and i am a student of history.
i have only red the hobbit and the lord of the rings by now.

and if have seen the movies at least 30 times. i know some people hate them, but i love them. i wish i could see them more often... but all my friends got sick and tired of having to watch them so often... and i do not want to watch them alone.

my favourite character is smeagol.
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #2899
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieeyeddragon View Post
This is an active board.
It is indeed, and welcome to it Pieeyeddragon and smeagollives. Hopefully there's enough here to keep both of you with us for a long time!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #2900
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
! i just saw that i was called "newly deceased". how comes?
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #2901
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagollives View Post
! i just saw that i was called "newly deceased". how comes?
Welcome to the Downs, Smeagol. Check out the FAQs about your status as a Newly dead...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=6010

I hop it answers your questions.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #2902
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Boots

Welcome Pieeyeddragon and smeagollives!

Pieeyeddragon - I love your nick, it's got to be the most adorable ever.
smeagollives - I see you've made yourself home at here already, that's great. Keep up the good work!

Enjoy being dead!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #2903
Pieeyeddragon

nick

It's not REALLY my name. After I hatched in western Iceland (over seven millenia ago) the local elves brought naming gifts - which included a basket of pastries (crowberry and bearberry tarts, call them pies). My wobbly legs made me fall face first into the basket. I came out licking the sticky mixture. The elves were laughing with good humor at the pie-eyed dragon. The rest, as they say, is mythology.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #2904
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
White Tree

Hello, my access to the internets is fully functional once again and I find myself coming here. Did I miss anything?
Damrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #2905
Uni

Pipe

Mae govannen, all. As a lifelong Tolkien fan, literature buff, and fantasy writer, I despise that it's taken me this long to find this place. I'm pleased to have done so at last, however, and proud to be so newly deceased.

Looking forward to getting to know all you "deadheads," and maybe trying my hand at some of the roleplaying.

- Uni
Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #2906
twinkle
Animated Skeleton

twinkle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril To those who remember...

hi sweet people,

dropping by for a hello and how are you after a really long time that blows my mind.
i hope you're all doing well and living in the happiness you deserve...
i looked into the downs channel for a bit and was surprised how quiet it was, but glad to find goldie there to chat with...
big hugs from me and maybe i'll be able to see some of you again in the not so distant future, i have fond memories of this place and you...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #2907
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome back, twinkle! It's nice to have you around again.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-09-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #2908
Master Morgoth

Hello,

I am Master Morgoth. I have been a fan of all things Middle Earth for quite some time. I tend to take more of an interest in the darker creatures the Professor has given us, but I do not ignore the more "noble" at their expense. I will admit that I would have no reservations if Morgoth would have unseated the rest of the Valar and usurped power from the gelding Manwe, but we will save that conversation for another time.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #2909
Lady_Arwen
Newly Deceased

Lady_Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, just signed up. Name's Lady_Arwen, I love the LOTR movies, Arwen and Aragorn are awesomnester than all others in the trilogy, they rock, Hadhafang is the most awesome sword ever, tried getting it once, didn't have enough money, Anduril rocks as well, Eowyn's cool too, and I sincerely hope I visit this forum enough that my password is stuck in my head forever.

Last edited by Lady_Arwen; 08-26-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Lady_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #2910
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
THis is funny, it's like the third time in a few years I have posted.

Hi, I'm not new, just an old member that found her BDs teeshirt.

Well, I am glad to be back. And now a newb.

Hi.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #2911
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Hello to the newcomers, may your experience here strengthen you in all things Tolkien.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #2912
Lady_Arwen
Newly Deceased

Lady_Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, I was wondering, is there anyone here that can teach me Elvish? Cuz that would be just so cool as a second language.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #2913
Wooley Gamgee
Newly Deceased

Wooley Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings To All From Canada

I've just joined the group and look forward to getting more involved. Have been a Tolkien fan for quite some time now, indeed I was a member (and intend to renew), of the Tolkien Society in England. Oops, sorry, I'm Wooley Gamgee by the way.

Aside from Tolkien, I am also into writing poetry, and nature studies. (A real outdoors type person. It's nice to be here though.
Wooley Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #2914
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Greetings and Welcome, Master Gamgee! Hope you have great times here.

-Finduilas-
Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #2915
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome Uni, Master Morgoth, Lady_Arwen, Annalaliath and Wooley Gamgee! May you all enjoy your stay here - or "enjoy being dead" as we sometimes say here.

Uni - where does your name come from? This made me curious, because "uni" means dream in Finnish and I don't know if someone would name him/herself after the word "university"...

Lady_Arwen - there was this Quenya group once. I guess it might be reactivated, if there's enough interested people.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #2916
entwife89

Introduction

Hello,

I am an MA student doing a thesis on Tolkien's LotR. I am working in the Gender Studies discipline, and examining the concept of homosocial desire, with the possibility of covering the idea of performative gender as seen in the books (if space permits).

Now before anyone gets all mad and starts sending me "But JRRT would never" emails or posts -- I know all about that and as much as I respect another's rights to their beliefs, I will ask that you respect mine and my work.

I would love to engage in discussion about the kinds of relationships between men in the books and welcome anyone to discuss this with me -- I will even listen to those who disagree as long as I don't get a theology lecture or have to listen to anti-gay propaganda.

Respectfully,
Angie
Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 PM   #2917
Squire
Newly Deceased

Squire has just left Hobbiton.
New Guy

Yeah...I'm the new guy. I'm not really sure how many times I've read LOTR but it's a lot. I'm going to try to be as fanatic as the rest of you. Not sure if I'll succeed. But I'm here and I'm newly deceased.
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #2918
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome entwife89 and Squire! May you both enjoy your stay here, I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the forums!

entwife89 - there was this one thread http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13433 on why people think that the movies are homoerotic. Even though the topic sounds maybe too movie-ish for you, I recommend having a look at the thread since it swayed quite a lot from the original topic, closer to your thesis topic. Anyway, I'm very intrigued to hear your thoughts on the topic, feel free to start a new thread about it or to contribute to some older one.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #2919
tumhalad2
Haunting Spirit

tumhalad2 has just left Hobbiton.
Hey

I've already made a couple of posts in the Book section, so I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm from Australia, Victoria to be exact, and a great Tolkien fan. I was introduced to Tolkien by my father, I was captivated and have never lost interest since.
tumhalad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #2920
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome to join the ranks of the wights, tumhalad2, hope you enjoy your stay here!