The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien Brand spanking new Tolkien book (honest and true!)

Somewhere, a mod is sighing and moving his/her mouse pointer toward the "close topic" button, muttering, "Yes Diamond, we know about Beowulf..."

But no, I'm actually talking about Simon Tolkien. He just published a novel, "Final Witness" in December. The Tolkien family tradition continues!

Apparently it's a courtroom drama, not fantasy, but I found it interesting that the Prof's grandson is following in his footsteps. It was even mentioned in the flap. Talk about pressure, eh? I would personally be terrified of writing a novel if any of my close relatives had written the book of the century.

So, has anyone seen this or read it? Is it any good? Is there any reason I should drop the LeGuin novel I'm reading now ("The Beginning Place"...) to run out and read "Final Witness"? Does grandbaby live up to grandaddy? Well, does he???

Somewhere, a mod is comtemplating saying that this thread isn't Tolkien related. Aha, but it is, it is. Simon is literally related to J.R.R. Tolkien. Ba dum bum.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read a review of the book in People Magazine, and they actually said that it was a pretty good book. They thought it was a well done first novel. I don't recall which week the review was in, but you could always check if they have reviewed it on Amazon.com.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Hmm...if the critics like it, it can't possibly be that good. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Sounds interesting, but does anyone know what it's about?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Oh, Amazon. Right, what a novel idea. Heh heh. I saw the book at work today but didn't have time to really look at it (c'mon, I was working!)

So anyway, here's what the Editorial Review at Amazon says:

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
A British teenager accuses his stepmother of conspiracy in his mother's murder in Tolkien's absorbing if uneven debut legal drama. The book pits 16-year-old Thomas Robinson against the beautiful, social-climbing Greta Grahame, who married Thomas's father, Sir Peter Robinson, a prominent politician, soon very soon after Lady Anne Robinson was killed. Thomas, who witnessed his mother's murder by two armed robbers, alleges that Greta was behind the killing. His courtroom testimony alternates with Greta's, and with a third-person narrative that at times contradicts both of the witnesses and keeps the reader in suspense. As Tolkien spins his tale, he explores the tense relationship between Greta, formerly Sir Peter's personal assistant and a working-class Manchester girl, and the well-born Lady Anne. The book is fast paced and crisply plotted, with Tolkien elegantly piecing together the different perspectives and introducing unexpected twists. Yet the characterizations are quite thin and stereotyped, and Tolkien relies on elaborate physical descriptions and heavy-handed, oft-repeated epithets ("green-eyed Greta" or a police officer's "sinister smile") to fill in the gaps. Readers may also be disappointed by the ending; after all those nail-biting twists, characters turn out to be more or less as they initially seemed, and tidy reconciliations strain credibility. Still, this is a promising first effort from Tolkien; one hopes that in the future he will be able to handle his characters as masterfully as he does the plot mechanics.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Darkside has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is a "courtroom drama", according to the book jacket. I was curious, so I picked it up. Haven't started reading it, yet. I'll post again when I've started to give a quick review. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hm. Sounds.. interesting I don't mean to be mean, but I hope Simon isn't about to ruin the family name... (not that that is even possible)

Iarwain
Old 03-25-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I just love how often they throw the name "Tolkien" in that Amazon article. That's defenitly a big selling point.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

*Shuddering* I can't even imagine being him-- how terrifying, although it is a really creepy feeling seeing the name Tolkien intertwined with all that court stuff.

It sounds interesting enough, I guess, but does anyone else share my opinion that rushing out to read this book is somehow akin to people looking for Prince William lookalikes? *makes a face* well, maybe that's a bad analogy, but I think I'm going to pass on Simon Tolkien for the time being.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Darkside has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I like a bit of Agatha Christie now and again, kind of light reading for me. Since I've read them all, I thought I would try something new. I can't say that I am enthralled. Not too far into it, maybe 6 or 7 pages and I don't think I'll finish it. Oh well. Thought I would give him a chance. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
"green-eyed Greta"
Maybe he's read 'Revenge of the Entish Bow', Diamond? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 03-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

You never know. He may be our biggest fan.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #13
Iarwain

Boots

Fanfic fans. Hilarious! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I suppose we shouldn't judge poor Simon by the works of his grandfather. He is after all just a youngster (sort of).

Iarwain
Old 03-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #14
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hmmm...
I do believe I saw that book a few days ago in the bookstore. I was looking for Tolkien in the wrong section and stumbled upon it. I had no idea they were related. If Simon got any tips from his grandfather, then it should be a good book.
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
He is after all just a youngster (sort of).
So, how many 50-or-so year old youngsters do you know? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I just got the book from the library today, but haven't started reading it yet, as I'm supposed to be doing homework now [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-07-2003, 09:50 PM   #16
Iarwain

Boots

"How many fifty year old youngsters do you know"

Well, I knew one named Charlie once... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 11:58 PM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Boots

Then again, isn't everyone a youngster to you, Iarwain? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM   #18
Iarwain

Boots

Yes, indeed they are. But some are more youthful than others, in both action and existence.

Iarwain