The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #1081
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
When you see a Wheel Barrow painted white and think "Ha-ha! Wheel Barrow Wight! "
When this suddenly reminds you of this post*, for example: "Its a wheel bawow wight!"

*It might be because its Hookbilll's thread, or it might be because I go on the Downs too much...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #1082
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Does this count: for the last two days or so, I've been mistyping every single word ending in -mit as -mith, like just a while ago I wrote admith. And I don't even realise the typo before reading through it again...
This sounds to me like like a classic case of Mithalwen addiction.

Maybe we should start a new thread "Are you addicted to a Downer's name?" or something like that.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #1083
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I was copying political songs on to my computer: My player automatically downloads the titles for the songs, but this time it downloaded them without capital letters so I had to edit them. At the song "Kommunismin ylistys" (Praise to Communism) I typoed an L instead of a K in the beginning and found Praise to Lommunism quite amusing.

EDIT: Oh, and this was also amusing when it got to Xyzzy.

Last edited by Volo; 05-02-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #1084
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
This sounds to me like like a classic case of Mithalwen addiction.

Maybe we should start a new thread "Are you addicted to a Downer's name?" or something like that.
I was aware of having a potentially addictive personality - I didn't realise it was contagious. FOr Lommie's sake I hope there is a 12 step programme.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #1085
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
When you are at your friend's place and her dad is watching a Denmark - Czech Republic ice hockey match and you think "Oooh Rune is losing, the game is 4-2 for Legate!"
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #1086
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you only have eight contacts on your temporary mobile phone...and they all happen to be BDers...
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #1087
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
When you are at your friend's place and her dad is watching a Denmark - Czech Republic ice hockey match and you think "Oooh Rune is losing, the game is 4-2 for Legate!"
Hey we played great in that game!

We never ever expected to have a chance against the Czechs, our turnament only really started against Italy. (Which we beat last night 6-2)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #1088
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Hey we played great in that game!

We never ever expected to have a chance against the Czechs, our turnament only really started against Italy. (Which we beat last night 6-2)
...and then you start wondering if there's an Italian BDer.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #1089
Volo

I saw a disk by a band called Lush in the library and was quite amused.

But apart from that I'm annoyed that a person who is not Lommy is using a painting by Mucha as her messenger avatar. :/
Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #1090
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, I'm not sure if this is a sign of addiction or, rather, being able to profit from knowing also foreign people, but as it's BD related I guess I can post it anyway.

In my German lesson today we had to write a short letter of invitation to an (imaginary) German friend. I've never been very fond of inventing friends to write a letter to in these kind of assignments, so I decided to write a letter to Macalaure instead. I invited him (and also Rikae, if she happens to be in Germany at the same time) to Finland in the summer.

Willkommen!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #1091
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I was watching a game of ice hockey yesterday. It was Russia vs. Czech republic. On the lower left corner of the TV there was an information-box which had in it the time-count of the game and the scoreline + the shorthands for the teams. It said Russia - Czech rep!

Czech rep?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #1092
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I saw a disk by a band called Lush in the library and was quite amused.

:/
I think of lush when ever I buy my favourite bath stuff http://www.lush.co.uk/

But that was a pre-existing interest ... more worrying is when you develop an interest in poker from and enquiry about an avatar I wouldn't risk real money but another way to waste more time is not what I need...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #1093
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Czech rep
Is that the same as normal rep or is it worth double? (now I know why Legate is at the top)

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-07-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Legate starts with a capital
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #1094
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you read a post in the "Books" area of the forum, you swear you could see the scythe on Morthoron's avvie move.

I must be on this website too much! But I love it!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #1095
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
When you've just started your 12th and 13th courses of the year (in a normal 10 course year), you're utterly exhausted, and you can barely manage to talk to people anymore... and not only are you still checking the 'Downs daily, you've started posting occasionally again.

That's when you know you're addicted.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #1096
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I was messing about on GallifreyOne when I noticed that someone's signature contained a link called: littlegreenshop. Go figure. Why does everyone keep stealing that name?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #1097
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathie
I was messing about on GallifreyOne when I noticed that someone's signature contained a link called: littlegreenshop. Go figure. Why does everyone keep stealing that name?
Indeed! I didn't think about that possibility in choosing my screenname...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #1098
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Emily and I were driving today and a black car in front of us stopped suddenly. Emily said something about the person in the Volvo, but I heard Volo.

Alternatively, I am writing a play and keep wanting to name one of my characters Kitanna. This is especially odd because I don't believe I've interacted with Kitanna on the board at all. Oh well.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #1099
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
For some reason that reminded me first of Elempi, and then A Little Green a split second after. Maybe it's how the words were written...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #1100
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was closing some papers I'd been working on, and my Office asked me if I wanted to save my work since the document had been modified.

I read it as modfired.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #1101
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I was closing some papers I'd been working on, and my Office asked me if I wanted to save my work since the document had been modified.

I read it as modfired.
I read your modified as modfired as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #1102
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post

I read it as modfired.
Sadly, anything modfired cannot be saved.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #1103
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

AAAGH! I realised my obsession has reached odd heights today...

Watching some random quiz show on television I heard a few questions as I did other things (namely reading), one of them was; What is the traditional state of an undead human said to bring horror and dread.
I, of course, said "Barrow Wight!" right away. *shakes head*

Moreover, I saw a car with "BWH" in the registration plate and thought "It's The Barrow Wight Himself's car!"
Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #1104
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I still think Artemis Fowl is a mixture of Anguirel, tgwbs, and - this time - Gwathagor.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #1105
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The word "makaaberi" (Finnish for "macabre") makes me immediately think of McCaber. I think associating the English word is quite understandable as it sounds the same, but that Finnish one isn't that close to McCaber...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #1106
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I just had an English exam and one of the sentences I had to translate was:
"Do you believe that journalists cook up exaggerated stories in order to sell more newspapers?"
For some reason, I was reminded of something. *flees*
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 AM   #1107
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I just had an English exam and one of the sentences I had to translate was:
"Do you believe that journalists cook up exaggerated stories in order to sell more newspapers?"
For some reason, I was reminded of something. *flees*
... *shifty eyes*... I have no idea what you mean...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #1108
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I still think Artemis Fowl is a mixture of Anguirel, tgwbs, and - this time - Gwathagor.
Whaaat?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #1109
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Today, one of my classmates showed me something on his notebook in school, and while he was doing that, he was connected to the internet and has his icq (messenger) on; and during that time several contacts of his appeared online and at these times always a pop-up window appeared, saying "X is online". One of his friends, whose nick was Lenny, even appeared twice (he probably was offline meanwhile). And both times, I was horribly startled when I saw that, and I twitched - because both times I read it as "Lommy"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #1110
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Whaaat?
Well, someone needed to be Irish.

(Or does this mean "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!"?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Today, one of my classmates showed me something on his notebook in school, and while he was doing that, he was connected to the internet and has his icq (messenger) on; and during that time several contacts of his appeared online and at these times always a pop-up window appeared, saying "X is online". One of his friends, whose nick was Lenny, even appeared twice (he probably was offline meanwhile). And both times, I was horribly startled when I saw that, and I twitched - because both times I read it as "Lommy"
Elennar Starfire! I can't remember if 'Leny or Lenny was the proper way of writing her nick, though.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1111
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
You are (or were, as you can see) addicted to the Barrow-Downs when every time you pass a sign that says Rilke, you think Rikae...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #1112
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Well, someone needed to be Irish.

(Or does this mean "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!"?)
This means "how do I partially remind you of Artemis Fowl?" I haven't read those books.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #1113
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
... *shifty eyes*... I have no idea what you mean...
Step aside, love. Lightning strikes often prove fatal.

Yeah. I'm sitting in a parking lot to get wireless signal. Granted, I'm doing other things besides check the Downs, but still....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #1114
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
This means "how do I partially remind you of Artemis Fowl?" I haven't read those books.
You should. Well, Artemis Fowl is Irish, for one.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #1115
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh, I see. All is clear.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #1116
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Narya Procrastination

I find myself reading posts and updating my profile when I've got an essay due in two days...

Start to think of barrow downs at breakfast, first site I check when I get home...

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #1117
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Last night, I was watching the Eurovision Soing Contest. It greatly amused me that Serbia's song was named Oro, but I had even more fun when I started imagining that the horrid girl band quartet from Germany were Estelyn, The Might, Mac and Rikae... (I'm so sorry...) Oh, here's a picture: from left to right: Rikae, Estelyn, Macalaure and The Might.

Again, my apologies.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-25-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #1118
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Lommy. What a dubious compliment! I wouldn't mind the appearance, but as a musician I must protest at being put in one boat with a group that sang so horribly off-key at the competition!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #1119
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

This is not so much a sign of obsession as a reason I love the Downs, so it's more or less related.

I was re-reading (actually, re-browsing would be more accurate) RotK the other day, and I skipped to the calendar in the appendix. When I saw the three attacks on Lorien I thought it would probably make a good story for an RPG. And then later while wandering in the fair lands of Elvenhome I chanced upon Bloodstained Elanor! I'm just disappointed I had never taken part in writing it, but that's okay; I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it just as much, if not more.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #1120
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to WW

I was revising for an English exam some day last week and there were lists of words and prepositions that go with them. Under the heading "adjectives" and the subheading "of" there was the following list:

ashamed of
aware of
capable of
characteristic of
conscious of
guilty of
independent of
innocent of
jealous of
sick of
suspicious of
typical of