The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien The Video Games

I am not a huge gamer- I own PS2, and the only video games I play are from The Lord of the Rings and the Ninja Turtles.

Out of all the titles in The Lord of the Rings video games, which do you like best? I own The Fellowship, and the movie related Two Towers and Return of the King. The two movie related games are awesome, but my favorite is definitely The Fellowship. I'm glad The Fellowship isn't based on the movies. It's freedom to roam around in the almost boundless areas is great. The scenery we get in this game is closest to Tolkien than the other two (blatantly) and you actually fight alongside all the Fellowship. Although you only get to be a few characters (Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn) you still get to see, fight, and even talk with the other members of the Company. There are endless little things you can find in the game while wandering that will make you smile, and I for one feel a close affinity with the books while playing this game. Further, a lot of the events PJ excluded from the trilogy are in this game...Leaving Crickhollow, Farmer Maggot, The Old Forest, Tom Bombadil, the Barrow-Downs, fighting Wolves, etc.

A lot of people have negative feelings towards the game, perhaps because it isn't mainly a hack 'em up action based game like the two movie related games. People also complain about getting lost, and so on and so forth. If you play it enough, you will not get lost!

The Two Towers and The Return of the King are great games as well. The graphics and the fighting are well worth the play time. TTT gets some negative feedback in you can only be Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and eventually Isildur (why?!) so in that aspect I agree. RotK is better in my opinion, with the full range of characters available to play with. These games take a drastic turn from the books though and even from the movies, which is obviously deserving of negative feedback.

Incase you haven't noticed, I'm really only talking about PS2 games. There are heaps of other LotR games for the PC, etc. I stopped collecting them after playing a couple of hours worth of some bogus game entitled something like "Quest for Middle-earth" which took completely made up mock Fellowship characters, and pretended that their Quest went hand in hand with The Fellowship's. Never get that game, let me tell you.

So, what is your favorite Middle-earth game? Do you play them often? Which did you like least?