The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Am I missing something?

Does Bilbo ever mention the Shire to Gollum I don't recall it nor is it in the Hobbit He says his name not where he's from soo how does gollum know?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I don't think so. But this from 'The Shadow of the Past' seems to answer how he found out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter two: The Shadow of the past
"He hated Bilbo and cursed his name. What is more, he knew where he came from."
"But how did he find that out?" asked Frodo.
"Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself; and after that it would not be difficult to discover his country, once Gollum came out. Oh yes, he came out. His longing for The Ring proved stronger than his fear of Orcs, or even the light. After a year or two he left the Mountains.
"But from the snarls I even gathered that his padding feet had taken him at last to Esgaroth, and even to the streets of Dale, listening and peering. Well, news of the great events went far and wide in Wilderland, and many had heard Bilbo's name and where he came from. We made no secret of our journey to his home in the west. Gollum's sharp ears would soon learn what he wanted."
Hope that clears things up Master Morsul.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thanks Hookbill

I am reading The Hobbit and I was wondering why Bilbo did not say anything about The Shire. . .

(It is the first time I read The Hobbit in Danish)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I've always wondered how Gollum knew to head East towards Esgaroth, instead of north or south.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
After the Battle of the Five Armies it would be fairly certain that Bilbo's travelling from the Misty Mountains to the Lonely Mountain, followed by his return journey home and the direction he took to the Shire would not be a secret in Dale or Mirkwood .

Gollum would have picked up on that information sooner or later .
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #6
Alcarin
Pile O'Bones

Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Gollem wandered the earth for quite some time...who can tell where he has been...
“By the Way of the warrior is meant death. The Way of the warrior is death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this. It means to see things through, being resolved.”
Alcarin is offline   Reply With Quote