The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
insanity reigns!!!

I like to consider myself a hardcore lotr fan. But every now and then, I meet someone or hear about something that makes me doubt myself... What is the craziest thing you have ever done in the name of Tolkien and LOTR? Or, what do you wish you could do, if you had the guts (and the means)?

Mine is pretty mild, sadly... Wearing elf ears about in public, not during LOTR release dates, (at which of course I dressed up in full costume.) Teaching my whole camp the quenya alphabet, as a calligraphy project.

And what I wish I could do is kidnap a friend or two, knock them unconcious, drag them off to a forest where I would have gotten lots of actors to dress up as elves, and convince them that they had found a portal to Middle Earth. Oh yeah and maybe "Tolkien" could make an appearance and tell them that he hadn't really died, he was an elf the whole time and just went back home after he got tired of Earth. hehehe...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Alas, I'm not as extreme. The worst thing I've done is yell at my friends for mis-pronouncing people and places from the LOTR movies!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Five days ago, at camp, this guy insulted LotR. I won't repeat what he said, because it's derogitorily insulting to anyone here. But know that it took three guys to hold me back. I still managed to yell "Aiya Elenion Ancalime!" at him.

To date, I think, that's the weirdest thing I've done in the name of Tolkien.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Costumes...

*Thinks* I believe the "weirdest" thing I've done yet is:
For one of my birthday parties I had people dress up as a character from a movie. Needless to say I decided to dress up as Frodo (despite the fact that I'm a girl.) Although I must admit I looked more like a freaky person in a 70s wig and sandals. Then after a little convincing, my friends and I went to the mall and walked around in our strange costumes. I thought it was a lot of fun.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
Alas, I'm not as extreme. The worst thing I've done is yell at my friends for mis-pronouncing people and places from the LOTR movies!
yeah, same here. but i wish to do something MUCH more drastic. i'm still pondering what that should be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraphim
Five days ago, at camp, this guy insulted LotR. I won't repeat what he said, because it's derogitorily insulting to anyone here. But know that it took three guys to hold me back. I still managed to yell "Aiya Elenion Ancalime!" at him.
hmm... i'm going to camp in two days. i genuinely hope that doesn't happen to me.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I once walked through a city in as much of an elven costume as I could put together at short notice. I was laughing too much for anyone to be able to insult me to my face, although one group of girls passed me by and muttered 'gypsy' at me. They were too far away before I could correct them on the fact that I was actually an elf.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Let's see...Randomly wearing band-aid elf ears to school, playing "Quest for the Ice Cream of Doom"(fighting invisible orcs with air swords whilst walking along a rather busy street on the way to the ice cream shop)...that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Well, I'm not as extreme as I'd like to be, but I do walk around everywhere using the gollum and Pippin voices I've learned to do so well. I also quote like, the whole book. And, if I see non-fans, I usually turn my back on them, unless thier my best friend or something. I'd definately get mad if someone insulted LotR, though, definately.

The thing I'd like to do is: Go to all of the cast members' houses, get a bunch of costumes, maybe the ring, and walk around every day in those costumes for the rest of my life (or at least until they fall apart or something ).
Old 07-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
White Tree His preciousss...

Quote:
but I do walk around everywhere using the gollum and Pippin voices I've learned to do so well.
I know someone that can do Gollum impressions extremely well. He doesn't do Pippin, though. It's pretty convincing when my friend goes psycho anytime a "one ring" is nearby. Well...it is until he dives for french fries at lunch. (What'sss taters preciousss?)
Old 07-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
headlessmonk

The craziest thing I've ever done? Hmmmmm well I'm not so obsessed w/ lotr anymore (plz don't throw fruit! Well, maybe raspberries-) but I'd have 2 say that the craziest thing I've ever done is probably stand on a lunch table at my summer camp and scream: 'I LOVE SAMWISE GAMGEE!!" (sure, that wuz Sam, not lotr, but wuteva) all the teachers looked amused, and the kids were-well, let's just say I'll never live it down. anyways, Sam isn't my fave character anymore, not after the 3rd movie. (Am I the only 1 who thinks that Sam and Frodo looked a little-CHUMMY in that movie???) MERRY AND FARAMIR ROCK!! yeah
Old 07-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love it when people do mad things all in the name of Tolkien! When I was fourteen I got my school overcoat and embroidered the White Tree of Gondor across the back. My mum went nuts and tried to make me undo it all, so I then added the eye of Sauron onto it, for spite. I used to write things like "Frodo Lives" all over my school bag, too, having to redo it every time she had put the bag in the washing machine (it was one of those canvas army bags, very non-girly). She made amends when I was nineteen by making me a hobbit cape, which I loved wearing despite it being deeply uncool at the time. Alas, this item is now lost and I badly want another cape or cloak, although nowadays I'd probably come across as some mad witch lady rather than a hobbit wannabe, but I don't care.

If I win the national lottery I'd love to go and buy Tolkien's old house in Oxford and do something inspired with it, like open a Tolkien centre/museum, and everyone who is a member of this site would get in free!
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Wow I wish I could do sooo many crazy things if I had the guts, well maybe not the guts just the resources and the money.

I havn't really done anything crazy per-se but I have mimicked Gollum before, just the "preciousss" thing though. And I have called my friends mellon and have bidded them namarie before but not lately, considering they're all very far from being as devoted to Tolkien as I am. I have dressed up as an Elf for Halloween.

What I wish I could do: Almost anything my twisted mind could possibly come up with That would be dressing up as an Elf every day or walking around clad in Aragorn-esque clothing, yes I'm a girl but I think I'd look rather good as a Ranger, that would also include a sword and a bow. I'd want to memorize more Elvish and learn to write in Elvish. I'd really want to get dressed up as a Ranger with a couple of friends (though I'd doubt they'd do it considering what I've mentioned above, but if I had friends like myself) and go to the mall and start asking people questions in Elvish or something, Where am I? What is this strange structure called? Why are you all wearing such strange clothing? Where is that music coming from?
Oh Boy, I have so many ideas about what I could do. With one last thought my brother who likes to make up hypothetical scenarios was talking with a friend about how they would each die, he said that I would more than likely die re-inacting a scene of LOR with my sword. That won't happen for as of yet I have no sword.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #13
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I haven`t really done anything crazy yet, but one thing I would love to do is maybe sing Nimrodel`s song or the bath song at the school talent show or something. Well actually I have spoken elfish to some of my friends before, and after graduation at the restaurant with my friends I did get up and quote some of Bilbo`s farewell speach. That`s all I`ve done. I also yell "Crebain from Dunland" everytime I see any kind of bird(I said it to my freinds canary once, she got a little scared)
Old 07-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #14
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

yay lots of insanity happily blossoming... I really want an elvish cloak like Arwen's for this winter! Or, maybe just fall, because winters here can be surprisingly cold. I'll have to make it myself though... But I did see a pattern somewhere. Sure I'll look really weird but I will stand out and thats the point!

Quote:
one thing I would love to do is maybe sing Nimrodel`s song or the bath song at the school talent show or something.
I was actually half considering singing a lotr song at my school's talent show next year but because I will be a freshman in a new highschool, I don't think it would advisable to jump-start my reputation like that...
Old 07-25-2004, 04:17 PM   #15
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Politics yikes

Quote:
I'd want to memorize more Elvish and learn to write in Elvish.
I wanted to for a long time, then I fell in love with hobbits. I do know someone who gave me a piece of paper with my name in elvish text. (Not it's phonetic translation, like here on the Downs) I think I still have it somewhere...
Old 07-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #16
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've remembered another...singing Hobbit drinking songs whilst walking through the grocery store...(wearing Hobbit cloak). And I once burned my feet walking barefoot across hot asphalt. Blisters on the bottom of your feet is not fun! I could barely walk at all the next day.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:24 AM   #17
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya Crazy things.

I write in Tengwar. Beleriandic, Sindarin, Quenya modes...you name it. Except Rúmilian.

It's become so much of a habit that I'm scared - and secretly thrilled - of what would happen if I ever wrote in Tengwar on tests.

But no, I can't speak Eldarin - Quenya or Sindarin - despite language lessons. And I haven't finished my First Age Noldorin garment. Nor have I even begun.

Oh, yeah - and I've deluded myself into thinking that I'm some silly son of Finrod.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:26 AM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

a kid in myt class dissed lotr so i got up and my shoe got caught on mydesk i basicly tripped and i started yellin at him pretending it didnt happen but it didnt work. if i could i would learn old entish
Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #19
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Well if you did learn old Entish which would be a fine thing indeed you couldn't really say anything unless it took a long time to say, then again that would make what you said far more important I wager.

I would love to learn how to write in Tengwar, especially my name for starters, I did plan on doing it but it sort of went to the backburner. *Sigh*
Old 07-31-2004, 03:03 PM   #20
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
:takes a fat sharpie and scribbles Tengwar characters all over Esgallhugwen's hand:

that's A,B,C...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:30 PM   #21
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Thanks very much InklingElf. What did you mean by a sharpie I looked it up because I didn't know, this is what I found.

1. Sharp"ie\, n. (Naut.) A long, sharp, flat-bottomed boat, with one or two masts carrying a triangular sail. They are often called Fair Haven sharpies, after the place on the coast of Connecticut where they originated. [Local, U.S.]

2. 1: an alert and energetic person [syn: eager beaver, busy bee, live wire, sharpy] 2: a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud [syn: swindler, chiseller, chiseler, gouger, scammer, grifter, sharper, sharpy] 3: a long narrow shallow-draft boat with a flat bottom and a triangular sail; formerly used along the northern Atlantic coast of the United States.

Did you use a boat to write on me? How in earth did you lift it?

Or am I just being being silly and its some name of a marker that I havn't heard of or don't recall.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

a sharpie is like a very fine permanent marker

and of course anything said in old entish is important

"We dont say anything unless it is worth takeing a long timee to say...."
Old 08-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #23
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sharpies are very permanent...I don't recommend using a sharpie to colour your fingernails unless you want them to be black for a long time...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #24
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Sharpies and Hobbit feet

Quote:
Sharpies are very permanent...I don't recommend using a sharpie to colour your fingernails unless you want them to be black for a long time...
That reminds me:
One time at a party (mostly a harmless LOTR movie marathon of FOTR and TTT) I brought a bag of multi color sharpies. Me and my friends decided to draw on ourselves (don't ask). And since we' were going to ROTK the next day, I decided to draw brown hobbit hairs on my left foot. Everything else I drew washed off within a week or so. But the "hobbit foot" didn't even fade for at least a month. It was kinda embarrassing when I was in the ER a few weeks later.

So I don't suggest drawing on yourself unless your parents don't mind...the stuff might stick for a while.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #25
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Geometry-Haters LOTR-lovers

The insanest thing I've done? Well, for others it's not but here goes....

I fell asleep during a Geometry class.... then my teacher roused me.... then I said....
Mom, I don't wanna stop reading the Sil.... I love Feanor.... I wanna read the LOTR.... I hate math....
Ok, I know it's... I got the facts from my seatmate, who heard it... but I don't actually remember saying those.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #26
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Some one insulted LOTR(actually they merely said they werent fond of iut) but We got angry precious and yelled at them in black speech! Can't remember what it was exactly but I remember It was one of the Burzenyd battle cries I had made up
Old 08-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #27
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
a sharpie is like a very fine permanent marker

and of course anything said in old entish is important

"We dont say anything unless it is worth takeing a long timee to say...."
Esgallhugen:...what he said -- Don't they sell Sharpies where you're from?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:03 PM   #28
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

sharpies.... hahaha... My friend has a pair of jeans which she ripped at the knees. It was too tempting. I made her knees into faces. And then the ink wouldnt come off for like four days.

i think that plastic surgery for elf ears would be very cool. but not like, you know, serious sticky out ones, just subtly pointed.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #29
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Plastic surgery? That's extreme -- but then again Leonard Nimoy (look at my avatar!) lived through a huge portion of his life well-loved with pointy ears...prosthetic ones of course.I don't know about plastic surgery...
Old 08-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #30
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think there is something seriously attractive about pointed ears....what's up with that? Am I just insane?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:20 PM   #31
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

You're not insane Elennar -- that was true for Mr. Nimoy the first time he wore the prosthetics aswell -- a lady came up to him (later his wife) and said they were attractive.

I suppose the extra cartilage helps to sharpen facial features. And I suppose that is the only reason they exist. Perhaps it makes you hear better?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #32
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I apologize, I'm running on whats known as Super Ultra Dumb (SUD) mode lately, and I can't think straight about anything, Gah! Boy do I feel like an idiot, yes they do sell sharpie's where I'm from and thanks but I don't really want permanent marker on my hands, telling from what you other people have said. And besides my Dad doesn't even like it when I write on my hands in pen, well if I have no paper they're the next best thing and very convient too.

Also I havn't used markers in ages so the name was unfamiliar to me at first glance, but please bear with me I hope to recover from SUD mode eventually.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #33
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esgallhugwen
I apologize, I'm running on whats known as Super Ultra Dumb (SUD) mode lately, and I can't think straight about anything, Gah! Boy do I feel like an idiot, yes they do sell sharpie's where I'm from and thanks but I don't really want permanent marker on my hands, telling from what you other people have said. And besides my Dad doesn't even like it when I write on my hands in pen, well if I have no paper they're the next best thing and very convient too.

Also I havn't used markers in ages so the name was unfamiliar to me at first glance, but please bear with me I hope to recover from SUD mode eventually.
my mom tells me I can get cancer from writing on my hands with pen too much -- don't worry I DON'T lol And there are ways to remove Sharpie marks one method would be incessant-srubbing-with-soap hehe...Then you could always try Oxy-Clean -- but that isn't really for the skin is it?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 PM   #34
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Whew...that's two insanities cleared today...I'm feeling much saner....
Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 AM   #35
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Cheating Tips ME Style

I used Quenya for my cheating tecqs... pasted that text on my desk
ALIBI: THis is art, my good classmates and lovely teacher....
[I only said that to flatter those people]
I remember the different formulas for area & poligon stuff writings...

It's advisable cos no one else understood Quenya in school. If there were any, I'm sorry, I already cheated!
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 AM   #36
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I think there is something seriously attractive about pointed ears....what's up with that? Am I just insane?
If you're insane, Elennar, then so am I! Pointed ears are definitely awesome.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #37
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good to know I'm not alone!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #38
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Lifestyles of the Lunatics

I once loved pointed ears, but alas that I noticed that George W. Bush, foe to the forests, has slightly pointed ears. That compleatly ruined it for me, so now I'm going on to ruin it for everyone else.

On a happier note, here are some of my favorite insanities:

~My kitten is named Isildur. This creates all sorts of hassles as I must explain who Isildur is to every person who meets my kitten as well as why I felt it necessary to name my kitten after what they consider an obscure movie character. "Isildur? Hey, he was a Jedi Knight, right?" ARRRGGG!

~Every Haloween I attened class in full LOTR dress, a warrior elf, Yavanna...it might not be that outrageous except that not a great many people still dress up once they're in college.

~I consider LOTR a lifestyle. THE lifestyle
Old 08-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #39
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I once loved pointed ears, but alas that I noticed that George W. Bush, foe to the forests, has slightly pointed ears. That compleatly ruined it for me, so now I'm going on to ruin it for everyone else.
cheers, mate.... ew.

but orcs have pointy ears too!

unfortunately the infallible logic behind that reminds me that orcs were elves once.

i hate arguing with myself, I always lose.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #40
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This may sound pretty crazy, but last year I got my hair curled into the style of a Hobbit. However I was forced to have it cut dew to annoying people pulling on it and throwing things at me:'(