The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Post war of ring history

In the movie is there going to be anything that says what happens to the chief characters in the story as what happens in the appendices or is he just going to end it as the story finishes. One way it could be done is by having a narrator like he did at the begginning of the first movie to explain the history behind the rings of power.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the director's and writers' commentary on the EE Fellowship, there is mention that Cate Blanchette will bookend the trilogy, pretty much saying that there will be an epilogue style naration. I firmly believe though that PJ will end with Grey Havens. I can't see having such an emotional conclusion and then defusing that by talking about Legolas and Gimli.<P>You could have a naration talking about Aragorn and Arwen, Legolas and Gimli and then have something like, "but as for the Ringbearer ..." and drift into the Grey Havens chapter.<P>I don't know if we'll get this though. In TTT, we essentially saw the fates of Aragorn and Arwen. Are they going to show it again? I doubt it, and if they're not going to show Arwen's and Aragorn's fates, how can they show the less important fates of Legolas and Gimli (as much as we all like it)?<P>I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this. It's very important for PJ to leave them crying at the end and he is too good a film-maker to screw that up.<P>H.C.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I think it would be fine if they had the Grey Havens chapter, then Aragorn, then Legolas and Gimli, then Merry and Pippin, and finally Sam. That would be the best way to do it IMO, even if it meant slightly mixing up the order.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You could have a naration talking about Aragorn and Arwen, Legolas and Gimli and then have something like, "but as for the Ringbearer ..." and drift into the Grey Havens chapter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I like that quite a lot HC... I also can't imagien any ending except the Grey Havens. To show such an emotionally charged scene and then talk about Gimli and Legolas would sort of kill the effect don't you think? As long as it isn't anything like those fabricated pages of the end of the script (See the horror <A HREF="http://pages.emerson.edu/students/jesse_hill/rotk1.html" TARGET=_blank>HERE</A> )I'm sure PJ will show the Grey Havens the repect they deserve!
Old 09-15-2003, 07:56 PM   #5
Enorėiel
Wight

Enorėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really like your ending idea, HCIsland; I think that would be perfect. They really need to show what happens to the main characters and saving Frodo's fate for last would be a great ending as well as a tear jerker.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorėiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, man, that would be wonderful. I'm just sitting here wondering if this will be the first film since 'the lion king' to make me cry.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I don't know why you guys would think that telling about the others' fates after the Grey Haven scene would ruin everything. After all, this is exactly what happens in the book. Chronologically, what happens to the others - Gimli and Legolas sailing over the sea, the death of Arwen, etc comes after the Grey Haven scene and they provide the sort of closure that is even more of a tear jerker -, well at least for me...<BR>EDIT: Cinderella, I just read the 'fabricated' pages, as you call them. They are wonderful. If by any chance they are for real, well - I cannot hope for a better way to end it all.<p>[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]