The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Elrond and Arwen in RotK

The thing I'm trying to wrap my head around the most for this upcoming film is the roll that Arwen and Elrond have to play. This is the way I figure it.<P>Arwen returns to Rivendell and confronts Elrond regarding Anduril and the fate of Aragorn.<P>Elrond delivers Anduril to Aragorn and likely the banner as well. This is obviously before the Paths of the Dead so it seems reasonable that it is Elrond who suggests the Paths to Aragorn.<P>Elrond and Arwen arrive in Lothlorien. I suspect that Arwen was with Elrond the whole time but I'm guessing she will hide her presence from Aragorn. There are definately pics of Arwen with Galadriel floating around, I'm just wondering why they would go there. Is Lothlorien in trouble? (They were in the books.) Is Galadriel going to play the matriarch and do a little family healing? Maybe they need to call in Dr. Phil? I don't know.<P>In Lothlorien, Elrond ends up giving his blessing to Arwen and her marriage to Aragorn and they skip down to Minas Tirith for the wedding.<P>Thoughts?<P>Please, lets keep this from degenerating into judgmental comments. I'm just trying to get closer to what is going to happen. Let's discuss the merits of such changes after we have seen them.<P>H.C.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That's pretty much what I've come up with.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Yes, I pretty much go along with your thinking on this too, HC. I wonder though whether the scenes with Anduril being reforged and Arwen telling Elrond that the King must have his sword will be done by flashback, ie whether they took place before Arwen left Rivendell.<P>I am not sure that I would like it if it turned out that Arwen had decided to leave for the Grey Havens following the discussion with her father in TTT. The fact that she even considered turning her back on Aragorn would seem to me to be rather a betrayal of him, even if she did change her mind and come back.<P>So, I wonder whether, when we see Arwen leaving Rivendell in TTT, it is after having agreed with Elrond that he will take Anduril to Aragorn, while she takes refuge with her grandmother (presumably because he would not be in Rivendell to protect her).<P>Edit: It's a nice touch, given that it now seems almost certain that Elladan and Elrohir will not be in the film, to have Elrond take their place, although doubtless he will not travel the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn or fight at the Pelennor. I agree that it seems most likely that he will return to Lothorien having deleivered the sword reforged to Aragorn.<p>[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 09-26-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> So, I wonder whether, when we see Arwen leaving Rivendell in TTT, it is after having agreed with Elrond that he will take Anduril to Aragorn, while she takes refuge with her grandmother (presumably because he would not be in Rivendell to protect her). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Interesting thought, Saucepan. I wonder how this would come across to the audience if she turns out to be heading to Lothlorien afterall and all the characters involved know it. It makes the scene in Towers rather deceptive and cheap.<P>H.C.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It makes the scene in Towers rather deceptive and cheap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not so sure. Recent popular opinion has had it that Arwen was not leaving for the Grey Havens, but was in fact off to take Anduril to Aragorn. The only difference here is that she is leaving with Elrond's blessing and I think that I prefer that to her going either against his will, or having deceived him into thinking that she was headed for the Grey Havens.<P>I think that, for the audience, it would be more a feeling of relief that she is not leaving Aragorn after all, rather than a sense of having been misled. After all, no one ever said that she was headed for the Grey Havens, did they?
Old 09-27-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

More random thoughts as to why Elrond and Arwen head to Lothlorien.<P>I'm liking your flashback idea Saucy. What if Elrond meets up with Aragorn not only to deliver the sword but to collect whatever elves may have survived and take them to defend Lothlorien. Rivendell appears to be emptying in the film so leaving Arwen there is no longer an option and neither is sending her to Grey Havens alone. Safest place is taking her to Lothlorien.<P>Gotta put more thought into this.<P>H.C.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Maybe they need to call in Dr. Phil? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Who's that?<P><BR>The main thing I have against Arwen going to Lothlórien for 'protection' is that PJ has made her character into a warrior princess-y thing, with her own sword. Like at the ford. But I suppose it could be that...
Old 09-27-2003, 01:21 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I really don't see how people can call Movie-Arwen a warrior princess just because she held her ground at the fords.<P>I guess Frodo is a warrior hobbit in the book at the fords as he does essentially the same thing.<P>If Arwen had shown up at Helm's Deep (as originally envisioned) or shows up at Pelennor or the Black Gates in RotK, then the label is apt. Other than the fords, all her scenes have been at Rivendell with comfortable furniture and flowing dresses.<P>She ain't Xena.<P>H.C.<P>Editted to add: Oh, Dr. Phil is a popular american day-time talk show where folks with messed up lives get straightened out by a tough-love psychiatrist.<p>[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]