The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Light of Eärendil
Pile O'Bones

Light of Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Strange that I already have it in my hands

Hello everyone! Yesterday, sunday, I found The Return of the King in a video store, I was so happy and surprised that I didn't give it a second thought and bought it. But the strange thing is not the fact that tomorrow is released, but it's that I live in México and the mexican edition is supposed to come out until next friday.
Has anyone else gotten it before its release?
Anyway, I won't have the time to see it until next wednesday, meanwhile I'll drool everytime I see it in my dvd shelf.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Was it a reputable store? Or one that doesn't mind selling pirated versions . Or is it an official version? I had a friend who got me TTT in Hong Kong for $1, it was great, but obviously pirated (especially when you turned on the captions ). If you have an official version, then I'd envy you, except I'll be getting my version in 3 hours, 3 minutes, & 1 second .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
I actually recieved mine in the mail today. I pre-ordered it from Walmart.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

eh, you're Narnian time must be ahead of my Central US time then, starkat...or else you're just lucky .
Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Light of Eärendil
Pile O'Bones

Light of Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, it's the official version! I would never get a pirated one, I've had terrible experiences with those, like crappy image, horrible sound, and errors in the translation and subtitles. If I had known it was pirated, I would have waited until friday. I guess they already had it and didn't mind put it up for sale.
But anyway, I'm glad.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
starkat
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
eh, you're Narnian time must be ahead of my Central US time then, starkat...or else you're just lucky .
Just lucky. I'm actually in Central Time as well.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

All I know is I bought mine at midnight this morning, and watched and- eventually falling asleep at 4 in the morning... Then i woke up at 7 to go to school..hehe
Old 05-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I did the same thing, Bombadil! I stayed up with my friend at her house and waited until ten til twelve, thenour other friend drove us to the video store, we bought the precious, then went back to her house for a three-hour marathon.

Needless to say, we were tired at school this morning.

I just came back from watching it again, and this time with the special features. Tomorrow, I'm going back to watch it with the commentary.

We're just a little bit avid.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:23 PM   #9
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

My brother and I convinced our mom to take us to Walgreens (they had a coupon for $10 off if you bought batteries as well as the movie) at midnight. The only problem was that my brother set his alarm for 11:45, since we decided to go to bed and then get up again, and our mom would pick us up from our dad's house at midnight. The only problem was that neither one of us heard the alarm, so we were still asleep when our mom came! We got to the store at around 12:20, and were the third or fourth to buy it, instead of the first, but we didn't mind too much. There hasn't been any time to watch it yet, though, because of too much evil schoolwork.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 05-26-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
My brother and I convinced our mom to take us to Walgreens (they had a coupon for $10 off if you bought batteries as well as the movie) at midnight.
I was going to do that, but I figured I'd only end up saving $5 anyway, the batteries are $5 after all...so I went to Hastings & got it with a 'free lithograph' (fancy picture) included. Unfortunately, the lithograph wasn't worth the $19.99 they upped the movie to, it was acutally pretty cheesy . Just like the free 'One Ring' I got with TTT at Wal Mart last year...I must have a knack for picking 'good' deals .

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 05-27-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I got mine after school yesterday at Target. So I don't have any exciting stories, but I am very glad to have it. I just can't believe that I already have all three of the theatricals though. Last night I sat with all three of them and looked at them, and compaired them, and went through mixed emotions. I can't believe I have all three, and I am excited about it, but I am still kind of sad. It just seems too soon.

I am going to hopefully watch all three this weekend though. If I have enough time. I have been very, very busy with schoolwork.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Woohoo! I got mine today! But I could only watch half of it before my dad turned it off. Curse you, dratted dad! I'd just got to Sam vs Shelob!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #13
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Lucky, lucky people...I'm waiting for the Extended...
Old 05-29-2004, 08:58 AM   #14
starkat
Wight

I am too. I bought the theatrical primarily because I wanted the second disc stuff. Since it is different from the EE.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I am too. I bought the theatrical primarily because I wanted the second disc stuff. Since it is different from the EE.
I had to go ahead & get the theatrical, because I don't think I could last until Nov. without RotK. Of course, I could just rent it, but I'm sure the rent money would end up exceeding the cost of the DVD itself . Ah, that's good to know that the documentary on the DVD is different from the stuff on the EE, I hadn't been 100% sure on that.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #16
starkat
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
I had to go ahead & get the theatrical, because I don't think I could last until Nov. without RotK. Of course, I could just rent it, but I'm sure the rent money would end up exceeding the cost of the DVD itself
I know my rental costs would have exceeded the price of the DVD too. That was the other reason I bought it. You know, for someone (meaning myself) so new to Tolkien I'm a little surprised at how much I enjoy his books now.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
I had to go ahead & get the theatrical, because I don't think I could last until Nov. without RotK.
Me neither! And I have already watched it three times. Of course, when the EE comes out, the theatrical version will be consigned to the shelf to gather dust.

I must say that I was VERY disappointed with the additional material. There was very little there that I had not seen already. I was hoping for more stuff on the making of RotK, but the documentaries just covered the making of the trilogy. And one of them just seemed to be a shorter version of the other. As for the other material, the "shorts" I found rather dull, and once you've seen the film, who wants to see the trailers and TV spots? All in all very poor, I thought.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:45 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Me neither! And I have already watched it three times. Of course, when the EE comes out, the theatrical version will be consigned to the shelf to gather dust.
Well, I guess you can keep the theatrical version as a collector's item .

Quote:
As for the other material, the "shorts" I found rather dull, and once you've seen the film, who wants to see the trailers and TV spots? All in all very poor, I thought.
Although I haven't seen any of the documentaries yet (saving the 'best' [hopefully so] until last), I'm agreeing with you so far. Most of the stuff I've seen is pretty poor, & there was only maybe one or two trailers that actually held my attention. Besides, when practically every one contains the line 'ever path you have tread, through wilderness, through war, has led you to this point', it gets pretty dull after, oh-about the 3rd one. Not to mention the fact that just about all of the trailers contain the same scenes, in different order or not. All in all I really thought the trailers were lame, although the 'supertrailer' was pretty cool. But not cool enough to withstand more than 2 or 3 viewings of it (if that).

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 05-31-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:09 PM   #19
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Yay!!!

Yay!!! I finally got to see the RotK! I had to wait till it came out on dvd (my family doesn't believe in going to Theaters) So my Grandparents invited me over and then gave me the dvd as an early birthday present! It was really good! I loved Pippin's face when sam saw Rosie and the face he made when he caught the bouqet!
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 PM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I loved Pippin's face when sam saw Rosie and the face he made when he caught the bouqet!
lol, I agree with both of those ! I loved the Sam in the inn scene, partly because it reminds me of my three best friends & I. I've got to favor Merry's look over Pippin's, though, mostly because that's the look I give the other two when our chicken friend gets up to go...well, do what Sam was getting up to do. But he always comes back in a few second
Anyways, all their faces were priceless, but I'd have to take Merry's
Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 AM   #21
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
My 5 year old son has now seen ROTK more times than I have. I just haven't had the chance to devote 3 1/2 hours (reasons are new sprog, new plasma screen not working correctly with dvds, Hell's Kitchen on, missus needs to watch her soaps, etc) so the dvd is permanently residing in my son's playroom. I have to obviously reset it past the opening sequence with Gollum (he is only 5!). His Ninja Turtles, power rangers and Big cook little cook vidoes are now consigned to a dusty shelf, never to be watched for the forseeable future! (Although the Saveums gets a look in now and then!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote