The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Elven blades

While I prefer the more Tolkien-accurate leaf-shaped blades of Sting and Glamdring, I do find the curving blades of the majority of the elven weapons in the LotR films to be astheticaly pleasing, but I've noticed there's a bit of a problem in the film makers explanation of why most of these blades are curved.
If we accept that the curved blade is universal throughout the various elven cultures of Middle-Earth, why are Glamdring and Sting leaf-shaped?

It could be argued that since they came from Gondolin, that the Gondolindhrim had developed a unique leaf-shape style of sword, but why then, is Hadhafang, a sword supposedly created for Idril, princess of Gondolin, made in the movie's commoner "curved branch" style, when her father's sword is leaf-bladed?

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well since they don't explain the origins of Glamdring and Sting in the book so I guess they don't feel the same need to be consistent. Also Sting was intended as a dagger - it is only a sword for a hobbit.

I think the lovely curved blades are to fit in with the somewhat oriental style of costume and fighting given to the elves. I guess you could rationalise it by saying that elves preferred the two handed curved sword for fighting on foot but their knights also used straight swords? Maybe.......?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well since they don't explain the origins of Glamdring and Sting in the book so I guess they don't feel the same need to be consistent. Also Sting was intended as a dagger - it is only a sword for a hobbit.

I think the lovely curved blades are to fit in with the somewhat oriental style of costume and fighting given to the elves. I guess you could rationalise it by saying that elves preferred the two handed curved sword for fighting on foot but their knights also used straight swords? Maybe.......?
Perhaps. While there is some Japanese influence in some of the elven design asthetics though, their fighting styles are more or less European as far as I can tell, just altered to seem somewhat more "Otherworldly". Legolas' fighting style, for instance, is based on medieval French dagger fighting methods.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well we don't see a lot of elvish sword fighting ( I must retrieve my copy of TTT ) ... pity as I would have liked to seen Hugo do a Crouching Tiger routine Didn't the saracens use a pair of short blades? not as east as Japan certainly...

Old 02-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
Well we don't see a lot of elvish sword fighting ( I must retrieve my copy of TTT ) ... pity as I would have liked to seen Hugo do a Crouching Tiger routine
AACKK!

Old 02-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Well we don't see a lot of elvish sword fighting ( I must retrieve my copy of TTT ) ... pity as I would have liked to seen Hugo do a Crouching Tiger routine Didn't the saracens use a pair of short blades? not as east as Japan certainly...
No offence, but if they had that in the films I think there would be even more bad feelings about certain Elves……

Quis ut Deus

Last edited by Beleg Cuthalion; 02-14-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry, I meant to insert a smilie to indicate I wasn't being at all serious. Much as I love, Hugo and Crouching Tiger, and indeed elves generally, in general I am firmly on the side of Tolkien authenticity (although I have to say the elvish film stuff was beautiful). My blood pressure rose to dangerous levels when Haldir turned up at Helms Deep - I was grateful it wasn't Arwen though......

Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to insert a smilie to indicate I wasn't being at all serious. Much as I love, Hugo and Crouching Tiger, and indeed elves generally, in general I am firmly on the side of Tolkien authenticity (although I have to say the elvish film stuff was beautiful). My blood pressure rose to dangerous levels when Haldir turned up at Helms Deep - I was grateful it wasn't Arwen though......
Right on!

Quis ut Deus
Old 02-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to insert a smilie to indicate I wasn't being at all serious. Much as I love, Hugo and Crouching Tiger, and indeed elves generally, in general I am firmly on the side of Tolkien authenticity (although I have to say the elvish film stuff was beautiful).
Ah yes. I think Daniel Falconer and all the rest really nailed the otherworldlieness of the Elves.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye It's over

All right to set everyone’s minds to rest on this subject, I have the answer: The Elves did not carry curved swords save one Egalmoth of the house of the Heavenly Arch.

From The Book of Lost Tales part 2: “Egalmoth was their chieftain, and wore a blue mantle upon which the stars were broidered in crystal, and his sword was bent- now none else of the Noldoli carried curved swords”

Tolkien did, of course, write this very early, and many elements of his mythology changed over the years. However, as he never wrote anything that contradicts this, and ever after continued to write of the leaf-shaped blades of the Elven swords, I say it stands.

Quis ut Deus