The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2002, 06:36 AM   #1
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien Finished

I have Just finished the four books for the first time the Hobbit, fotr, tt, and rotk,. i have been reading them for the past year and now that im done i feel at a loss, not disapointed or angry, but more as if i have lost about 15 to 20 of the best friends one could make in a life time all at once, i have started the Silmarillion and it has already sheded light on much of the things said in ME, but i still feel i will not see these friends of mine again until i read the books again and even then it will not be like the adventures we had together for the first time. Does any one share my views, or consider me to attached.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 07:23 AM   #2
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

By no means are you too attached. There's no experience quite like the first reading of any novel, and to some extent knowing how things are going to turn out can remove some of the freshness from subsequent visits. I've found, however, that Middle-earth has a lot to offer the habitual tourist: such is the depth and complexity of Tolkien's world that one journey there will barely scrape the surface of what there is to be seen and enjoyed; and there's always something new to be discovered.
I suppose that the experience may be likened to visiting a foreign country: at first what grasps the attention is the newness and strangeness of everything, but on subsequent occasions, perhaps knowing more of the history, or having learned more of the language, new sides of the place reveal themselves that make it seem entirely new again.
The last time that I read The Lord of the Rings, for example, I began to see subtleties of characterisation and plot that I had missed completely on every previous occasion; new information that I couldn't believe I missed before was suddenly startlingly clear to me, and familiar scenes seemed subtly different.

Therefore do not despair. To some extent every reading of the books is like the first; in some ways it's even more enjoyable to return and visit the old people and places, and perhaps to discover them anew.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:48 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Guildo, I know exacly what you are saying. When I finish LOTR (I've read it many times) I think about the ending for a while, and then I close the back cover, turn the book over so I'm looking at the front cover, skim a few pages from "A Long Expected Party" and remind myself, "See, they're still here."

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #4
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Whenever I read I book, I find myself rushing to the end, and when I get there, I really want it to be longer. I usually end up reading the back of the book, and stuff written just inside the cover, trying to find something that I still haven't read...hehe.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:24 AM   #5
Kaszul
Pile O'Bones

Kaszul has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with Squatter, there's plenty of enjoyment left in the books when you go back to the beginning.

I know that I've read them over 5 times, and I still pick up on things that I'd missed in my earlier readings.

I would advise you to read all the supplimentary mateial in Return of the King. It has some facinating histroy there.
Kaszul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:39 AM   #6
Bradley Roy

Sting

Hi you all. I'm rather knew to this, but agree that you get more out of the books every time you read them! I have read the books 13 times! and I still get more out of it.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're defenitly not to attached, good books have the ability to take you to another place.
Reading it the first time and re-reading it is completly different. I've read the books three times, and even though the second and third time was enjoyable and I discovered new things, it was not the same as the first time I read it. I mean, it's not so sad when Gandalf dies the second time you read it because you know he will come back. And all the time you know what's happening in the end, so the thrill is just not there. But still, when re-reading the books you get to "live" in Middle earth once again, to visit your old friends, it's just not as exciting as the first time. A bit sad, luckilly Tolkien wrote more books and there are other great writers.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Sting

there is no doubt i will find more things and rediscover places when i read them again, but im saying i feel i have developed a relationship with the characters (my Friends) like i was "fatty" but i went with them and i feel as Sam did when Frodo, Gandalf, and Biblo, left my friends are gone and even though im reading the books im only reading them like Sam reading "There and Back again" im sure im being to sentemental but i guess its a good thing no book or any movie has made me feel this way, i also find it kind of ironic that it took me a year to finish them, the same amount of time Frodo, Sam, Meryy, Pippin, and Fatty(me) left the shire and returned. any way thank for your input guys i will continue to go on journeys and travel to every corner of Middle Earth.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 05:34 PM   #9
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my, I know *exactly* how you feel! I will actually walk into a bookstore and visit the fantasy section...just in case something new by Tolkien has magically appeared!

Here's my advice for you. Explore Tolkien's other works...Letters from Father Christmas, Roverandom, Farmer Giles, etc. And when you get to the end of LOTR, start over! I still notice new things, each time I read the novel.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: BeeBombadil ]
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:56 AM   #10
Karina

Sting

I hate to just restate what has already been said, but...

I can't even count how many times I have read those books, and they never lose the original enjoyment. The books seem to grow and mature with the reader, always taking a different perspective according to one's current situation. And so every time you read them, it is like reading them for the first time all over again because new details and new aspects are revealed that may not have been apparent before. Anyway, I hope you get my drift...