The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2002, 09:34 AM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Birthday Party - Barrow-Downs Style!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BARROW-DOWNS!
On May 1, 2002, the forums at the Barrow-Downs reached the ripe (and I do mean ripe!)old age of TWO! While the site itself is a bit older, the second anniversary of the opening of the forums is a cause to CELEBRATE!!!!! Therefore, we will have a PARTY in celebration of the second birthday (uh, deathday?) of the Barrow-Downs forums and all members are invited!!!!!
PLACE: The Fields of Cormallen (the Freestyle RPG Room in a thread to be opened there).

TIME: Monday, May 20, 2002 beginning at 9:00am until ????

DRESS: Formal Middle Earth Wear.

There will be an open bar, and meals will be served buffet style.

COME CELEBRATE THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE BARROW-WIGHT AND THE BARROW-DOWNS!

RSVP
Old 05-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Sting

Oooh. Sounds like fun. Could you possibly put up a link to where it will be?

-- Fėanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #3
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ask and ye shall receive...

The party will be here.

The thread has been opened, an intro post made and the thread locked to prevent premature partying (all you Hobbits have a bad reputation). The thread will be opened Monday morning and will remain open until it winds down (the last party thread ran for about 15 days). Let's all stop by and show the Wight how much he's appreciated!
Old 05-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Guo Si has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guo Si
Sting

Umm.... not to sound stupid or anything, but exactly what is Middle-Earth formal wear? I mean, the closest thing I can think of is fancy mithril armor or something like that.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:41 PM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I mean, the closest thing I can think of is fancy mithril armor or something like that.
If you plan on being particularly rambunctious that's probably the best thing you could wear. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ummmm.... I think the Barrow Wight appreciated it so much he closed the thread [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #7
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

An unexpected voice is heard behind Gimli (Son of Gloin). The speaker is hard to make out behind the cloud of pipe smoke.

"Nope. You haven't read the rest of the notice, it seems. Says the party's closed until Monday." The fellow gestures to a long line of hobbits, a unicorn, various people and creatures from the era, if not precisely Middle Earth. Word has travelled fast. They're all talking and laughing in their campsites, saving their place for the party. Hobbits (of course) by far make up the majority.

"Gonna be a corker," the fellow smiles, "Line begins up there by old Furfoot's boy. No cuts, mind you."

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 05-17-2002, 07:33 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awesome! I'll be there!
Old 05-17-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli sheepeshley retracts to a corner...
Old 05-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The old hobbit glances at Gimli in the corner. "Whatcha doin' there, son? You're not going to get into the party that way!" He pats the grass next to him.

"Have a seat, Mr. - ? It's going to a looooong two days..." he winked.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:54 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Stands behind Mithadan as the party notice is skewered to the locked door.

'Hmmm . . . a party!', whispers piosenniel to her self, a certain shiver of anticipation running down her spine.

'What shall I wear? Something made for springle-ring dancing, I'm sure! & I wonder, shall I bring something for the buffet table - perhaps a wild mushroom stew with herbed dumplings? & I think I'd better unearth that cask of dwarf spirits to get the party spirit well lit . . .yes . . .so much to do before Monday! &, oh yes, I must oil up my dancing shoes . . . hmm . . . I wonder if the BarrowWight is free for a dance?!'
Old 05-17-2002, 09:04 PM   #12
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland runs around checking all the windows, (locked and blacked out), climbs onto the roof to peek down the chimney (puff of smoke puts pay to that), peers in the keyhole, (finger to eye), and squints under the door (rug pushed to crack).

"Well, guess it DOESN'T start 'til Monday." She sits down next to Maril and Gimli, and pulls a paperback book out of her pocket.

Suddenly, a confused figure in a cheesy black cloak and a plastic Darth Vader mask appears. "Is this the line for "AoTC?" he breathes raspily.

"Nope. It's two web pages over, and you're a day late", says Maril dismissively.

"Oh. OK. Thanks, dude." says "Darth" sheepishly.

"Amateur," mutters Birdland.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 11:05 PM   #13
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Guo Si has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guo Si
Sting

Suddenly, a dashing figure wearing the spiffiest of mithril armor strides into the line. He mistakes the gawking of the crowd for looks of awe as he repositions his plumed helmet and toys with his scabbard. He then trips over a hobbit, and sprawls onto the ground. Mustering the remains of his dignity, the odd looking pseudo-warrior takes off his helmet and waves to the mob of soon-to-be partygoers

"Hello, My name is Guo Si, whats yours?" He says to a random hobbit. "Ah yes, nice to meet you, yes this will be my first barrowdowns party, no, I don't believe we've met in Rivendell," Guo Si says, and other greetings are exchanged between him and the crowd.

Then, a large shadow appears over Guo Si as a troll indignently says, "I hope ya got some extra clothes thar, thet stuff just aint gonna cut it." "Why errmmm... I believe I have another pair in the car" Guo Si says as he hurries to look for a seat somewhere. Finding a tree, Guo Si sits under the shade and watches as a group of hobbits dance around a bonfire.

"Well, I suppose I'll just take a little rest here for the duration of my wait..."

[ May 18, 2002: Message edited by: Guo Si ]
Old 05-18-2002, 07:28 AM   #14
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

..and many leagues away, past the misty mountains and over east where the stars are strange, languid with the sweltering heat of the most merciless of all summers, amarinth catches wind of the party and is catapulted off her rattan talan, screaming "ai! ai! a party at last!"---

but then, she is suddenly stricken with the realization of that cosmically unjust element called time lag, and gets down to do the math first. "hmmm, that's about right, evening it is for me! so! i shall shun the beach wear and defy this confounded weather with a lavish coat of goldleaf and a hat of amaranth blooms!" she runs down to pour water in her pool and check if her mirror is in good working condition --"mayhap if it goes awry, there is the great vastness of the sea to commune with all of my fellow barrow-downers to mine heart's content..."
Old 05-18-2002, 08:29 AM   #15
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Far off in Hobbiton Rose Cotton quietly eats her second breakfast untill a young Took runs in.
"Rosie, you better get a move on. There's going to be a party." he says.
" What's the party for?" she asks him.
" The Barrowdown forum's second birthday. The entire Shire will be there."
"Really?! I better get going!" She puts on her best party dress and sets off with some other hobbits on the way to the party.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:24 AM   #16
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elanor has finally arrives to the party site. She could have arrived sooner, but convincing mommy and daddy to let her leave early all alone took some time, and the Gaffer was no help at all ("You Ninnyhammer, you'd let her sail to the moon if she took the notion to her curly-haired pate!"). She sets up her tent and starts sewing on her party dress.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:39 AM   #17
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

I AM IN! Sounds like fun..hum, the 20th is a...a..NONDAY?! Ah! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I won't be there until late, but I will! Peace!
Old 05-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #18
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

Did I say Nonday? I ment Monday [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 10:07 AM   #19
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

can i come? im the harpist at the elf party thread. will there b hobbit tossing?
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:55 AM   #20
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

From Wooton's edge of Faerie
the poet hears of a party:
the dead celebrate
a site that's first-rate;
he hopes he won't be tardy.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:58 AM   #21
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

a poet & a harpist - - this should be grand!!!
Old 05-18-2002, 11:22 AM   #22
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose Cotton arives and sits next to Elanor and complements the dress she is making.
" I don't know where your father is. Perhaps he is still on his way." She says to Elanor.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:58 AM   #23
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elanor greets Rose and thanks her for the compliment. "I imagine that Daddy has been held up by all my little brothers and sisters. That's a lot of snack and potty breaks!" she says.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:17 PM   #24
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dūm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yay! party. no hobbit tossing this time, as could be v. dangerous.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:16 PM   #25
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gayalondiel, in a very un-Elfin fasion, jumps up and down in excitement. he offers this rather garbled explanation as she weaves a grey silk cocktail dress:

"The 20th May is not only the date of the B-D's party, but my very own birthday too!" She will be the equivalent of nineteen years among men. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gaya suddenly stops jumping and weaving (a very complex task when done simultaneously), to ask in a confused voice "but does 9:00 refer to USA standarn? what would that be among those who go by greenwich mean time?" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 03:30 PM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Sting

A beautiful Elf maiden steps carefully in. She is in a beautiful flowing gown, and has blonde hair and blue-green-amber (don't ask...I don't know how I currently have all the eye colors) eyes. She says (translation will follow):
Aaye il'er! Mae govannen! Amin tulan a' merendellie, manka amin aa'! Naa' il nat' amin melan ner tul! Elean llie Elenya, san'!

Hail everyone! Well met! I will come to your festival, if I may! There is nothing I will love more than to come. I will see you Monday, then!

The beautiful maiden sits down, greeting Guo Si, her friend, then waits for the party to begin.

She gets up, quickly exits, then returns with a young man, who she introduces as Legolas:
I am not good yet at the Common Tongue, so stay with me if you can. This is the Prince of Mirkwood, and he would love to come to the gathering on Monday! He will be watching!

Menelduliniel (for that is the Elf maiden's name), sits back down next to Guo, with Legolas sitting on her other side (and she looks for Aralaithiel to come join on Legolas's other side).

Well: until the party, then!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #27
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

*gets out her bestest party dress*

Ooh, it's been aages since I was at a party. And they didn't get me drink the last time! Just cos I'm a lass...hmph. Well, not this time. I has a card that says I can drink - yippee!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

piosenniel checks in at the party site. the gates are still closed, but in the field outside them, a small pre-party festival has sprung up. there are bright banners and ribbons flying in the warm breeze, and music and poetry fill the air intermingling with the scents of foods and spirits. on the gates themselves, she notices that ancalagon's fire has set up a game of darts featuring a very unusual target - a dual centered target: one bullseye reading 'nature', the other reading 'choice'. a large group has gathered about to watch the two most recent competitors throw their missiles - stone of vision and kalessin . . . shouts of 'good shot' trail after her as she wanders toward the booth run by nufaciel and avarrogion. smiling, she stops to make smalltalk with the other beanfans and barters for a small silver necklace with a tree of gondor and seven stars finely engraved on the pendant. moving on, she waves to joy, busy with her young cousins writing a small playlet to present at the party. finally, to pass the time - she settles down with susan d and tigerlilly to share some riddles, and drink some miruvor . . . a pleasant way to pass the time until the long expected party . . .
Old 05-19-2002, 02:36 PM   #29
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aduchil sees his friend Legolas and greets him. Tomorrow is the great party, and they are both anxious. Aduchil sees Piosenniel in good company and walks over to joiin them. Oh yah, this is going to be a party to remember!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel checks back in, seeing if festivities have started in the waiting area. Seeing that not much has happened, she takes out her flute, given to her by Elrond, and plays a beautiful, sad love song. Following, she starts playing a lively dancing song, and waits to see if anyone dances.

(Got the impression I'm bored?)
Old 05-19-2002, 03:57 PM   #31
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, since Aduchil is equally bored, he walks over and asks VanimaEdhel for a dance. Is she interested? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #32
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

"Seamstress! I need my dress NOW! There is to be a party! And as any elf knows (or should know, or will know after the party), a celebration just isn't a celebration without Nevfeniel!"
A few hours later, Nevfeniel arrives in a stately manner wearing her beautiful elvin dress and walks towards the large crowd waiting for the party to start.
"Yes, I have arrived, and if the party was to start early, it can do so now."
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:55 PM   #33
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course I'm coming! What would this party be without a violinist? (or two, dragongirlG) Ah, of course! *snaps figures, is suddenly transformed to party costume as Rohirrim, wearing flowing green dress, hair up in braidy-bun thing with a few strands and braids out, and a golden circlet*
If Daniel Telcontar (or anyone) would like to dance, so would I! *smiles*
Knowing the Downs and the Down-ers, this will be one heck of a party!

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: Aosama, the Wandering Star ]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 07:07 PM   #34
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Samwise Gamgee arrives with a group of young hobbits. He greets Elanor then Rose Cotton pulls him over to where some hobbits are dancing around a fire and join in.

Unfortunally I will have to go to school tommorow and will not beable to celebrate till late so I will see you when I am done.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:18 PM   #35
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

What would this party be without a pianist to provide background music in addition to the string quartet? hahaha...Yes, I, Jessica Jade have arrived at my first Barrow Downs party. I'm wearing uh...something elvish and beautiful? hehh heh...*says hello to everyone* happy birthday Barrow Downs!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #36
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Spying Aduchil attempting to interest an elf maiden in a dance, piosenniel runs up behind him, taps him lightly on the shoulder, and invites him to learn a sprightly dance within the faerie ring.

'Come. m'lord, you've not danced truly until you've lasted a springle-ring dance with a Dark Elf!'

The hobbit band picks up the tempo. piosenniel offers the young lord her hand, a sly smile crinkling the corners of her eyes.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:20 AM   #37
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">A pitch black figure on a horse of night rides up to the glade, and looks at the notice on the door

"I take it that the party has not yet begun."

Morauko sits on the ground next to some of the hobbits, who shuffle away from the menacing figure.

"Do not fear, my friends. For such a great event as this is a truce between all lands and races"

With that, she starts talking to some of the elves.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:20 AM   #38
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Piosenniel you flatter me with your interest. It is may 20, and the party should begin!! Let us all celebrate at this wonderful event!!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:30 AM   #39
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

The sun rises. It is almost time for the party.

Unforutnatly Rose Cotton just realizes she forgot to bring some of her famous pies(apple, cherry, blueberry, etc.) So she must rush home to fetch the goodies. She may not return till tomorow but wishes everyone plesent partying and to not have too much fun without her.

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 AM   #40
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sindacuion hears noise from nearby. "What on earth is going on?!" Sind comes to check what is happening and discovers that a party is being set. "Great! Another party! Can't wait to see what is Kate dressed as!" He greets the crowd and sits down beside Guo Si. "Greetings, Guo! Can't wait for the party to start!" Sind gets out his FotR and starts reading. "Gah. The waiting is the worst part.."