The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
WWJ VI: Return to Midsomer Mawlin - Kill me again

Rules:

Night and day last 24 hours

3 Werewolves plot (PM) by night and choose a victim.

The Seer choses a fellow villager to dream of each night.

During the day the villagers discuss openly who to lynch.

To vote use a new line and embolden the name of your choice preceded by 2 plus signs, eg

++ Erenor

To retract a vote use the same principle but use minus signs, eg

--Erenor

++ Losrian

If a clear majority is reached, votes become non retractable and that person will be lynched.

In the event of voting closing with no clear majority the person with most votes will die, if there is a tie the Moderator will use her judgement to decide the result. She may most likely toss a coin however if the voting is strong enough (in argument as well as number) she may permit a double lynching. However this will be exceptional. You have retractable votes so you should be able to make a decision.

In the event of continued non-participation/non voting or behaviour inappropriate to the spirit of the game the Moddess will use her discretion to resolve matters as fairly as possible in the best interest of the game.

Absences should notified on the admin thread.

General queries should go there too ... anything confidential should be PMed.

Double posts are fine - please do not edit or delete.

Okies...?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-16-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Beware the Ides of March PT 1

Though Spring was near it was a cold night in Midsomer Mawlin. The tiny village had been repopulated after those unfortunate events of last summer which had so blighted the community's chances of retaining it's crown as winner of "Britain in Bloom's "Small and peculiar village" category. However if the prize was simply for being peculiar Midsomer Mawlin would still win....

The dwellings had either been inherited by relatives who bore a strange resemblance in name and appearance to their previous occupants or had been sold to incomers.... incomers who nevertheless had much in common with the other residents.

They were all alone - not necessarily through choice but because their presence seemed to bring death and disaster to all those around them. Here of all places, they could do no harm. Or so they thought.

Mithalwen was about to retire to bed and was sipping a cup of chamomile tea. She had lately received a anonymous message "Beware the Ides of March" - she was not superstitious yet she had taken particular care that day remembering the dreadful accounts of the deaths in the village last summer - her poor kinswoman had been the first to fall victim. But the ides of March had come and almost gone.

There was a knock at the door - she looked through the window, only three of her fellow villagers - she opened the door. To late did she realise in the light of the full moon they were longer of nose and hirsuter of feature than before.

One carried a noose, another a knife the third a blue glass bottle subtly marked "Poison".

Mithalwen's last thought was "Oh no not again..."

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-15-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Beware the Ides of March Pt 2

For the second time in less than a year the inhabitants of Midsomer Mawlin realised that the inhabitant of Nemesia Cottage was inexplicably missing. Noone answered the door. A check at the window showed a figure slumped over the desk.

Feanor of the Peredhil got the door open "Go go gadget Skeleton key"

Mithalwen was dead. A witless silence fell momentarily then things got very noisy.

Kuruharan and Azaelia of Willowbottom, both ex-CID started to argue about who had seniority.

Boromir88 once of the FBI started to make notes on his tape recorder.

The debate about who was to lead the investigation got hotter...

"As a world renowned cryptologist I am expert at solving clues...."said Mormegil.

"As Professor of Pathology, I can best explain cause of Death" said Oddwen her voice getting more Irish accented as her temper flared.

"As a brilliant diagnostician I could do better" countered Kitanna, leaning on her cane as she swallowed Vicadin.

"As a member of Her Majesty's Secret Service, I should lead " said Sleepy Ranger.

"As a feisty 17 year old californian, I say we should stop arguing" said Diamond 18, "this is no ordinary murder".

"I agree" said Jenny Hallu cleaning her thick rimmed glasses, I think this is supernatural, when I travelled in the Mystery Machine I saw lots of creepy stuff.

Gil-Galad the eccentric heir to Wayne Manor covered the body with his cape.

"I think we need to use our leetle grey cells" said Nogrod (who thought he was French but actually was Belgian).

"In which case I need a pint" said Kuraharan. "So do I", said Azealia the local detective. "It seems the werewolves are back - lets go and discuss this in the Pub."

Firefoot was too stunned to follow for a moment - the writer had left Cabot Cove to avoid this kind of thing. Seemingly that was not possible.

OK guys .... it is all yours. I will give you 24 hours but if a majority (ie 7) agree, I will post the lynching earlier...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-16-2006 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Well to break the no talke. Through deductive reasoning and gathering evidence I'm sure we can pull together and find these perpetraters (sp?) I mean we are all detectives, or of some form are we not?

So, the first order of business with 3 wolves amongst 13 players means there's an approximate 1/4 ratio. So the 4 people who are 3 wolves are:

Now there are always the lamb in wolf's cloting...or is it the other way around? The wolf in lamb's clothing? Or is it sheep? I'm not good with wise aphorisms.

So for the lamb in wolf's clothing, or however you want to say it...

1) Diamond- I mean it's such a sweet name, diamond. Everyone thinks diamonds are pretty and sparkly. But all I see when I think of diamonds is a hefty hole in my wallet. Werewolfs=bad, diamonds=bad, put them together. You're all smart

Then the other 3 people who must be the two remaining wolves are...

1) Jenny- what's this mystery machine she's talking about? How did she come up with this? Only a werewolf could conjure up such a silly thing.

2) Feanor- Why "Go, go Skeleton key," huh fancy stuff? Why don't you say "Go, go, fireball" and blast away the wolves?

3) mormegil- ok mr. cryptologist solve this one for me? Where are the perpetrators?

Well there we are fellow detectives/bogus superheroes. I've said my share, speak up.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well blimey gov'nur who do you think dun it? I know that it wasn't me...or at least I think it wasn't me. Me noggin's been acting a bit funny as of late and I know not whom to trust. I put a trusty little list together meself I did.

Boromir88
Jenny Hallu
Feanor of the Peredhil
Kitanna
Diamond18
Mormegil
Nogrod
Sleepy Ranger
Gil-galad
Firefoot
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Kuruharan
Oddwen

on it as anyone with peepers can see is all the names of those who occupy our little town with the noticable exclusion of poor dear Mith, whom I bemoan. WHY YOU MITH?!? IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!! IT'S JUST NOT FAIR...wait! Will this funeral be a catered affair? Sounds good to me!

Last edited by mormegil; 03-15-2006 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Jeepers! Werewolves!

I agree, Boro, that the Mystery Machine is an odd contraption. But in my defense, it was my friend Fred's idea.

I'm so upset at Mith's death! From my vast experience, I am sure these are only people in werewolf-costumes, however, not real werewolves. They're never real werewolves, and real werewolves would have had a hard time killing Mith without mauling her. However, without my old friends and our trusty dog, I don't know how we'll ever find the murderers.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
AHA! I've put it together. It's not really about werewolves at all. It's a drug war. Let me explain. JennyHallu and her 'mystery machine' is only a front for the mass distrubution of illegal substance. Mith, our 'pilgrim soul' came in and invaded their turf a bit for as we all know, or should know, pilgrim soul was her title but it really was an anagram for 'Grills Opium'. Case solved. Now who are Jenny's accomplises?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
If I were involved in a drug war, Morm, would I have pointed out these could not possibly be real werewolves?

If you are worried about drugs, I would suggest taking a hard look at Sleepy Ranger. How else would the man look so somnolent all the time? Honestly, he's almost as bad as my old friend Shaggy.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Another pint

Quote:
It's a drug war.
Speaking of which...what have you been smoking?

Just because we have werewolves on the loose doesn't mean that we can let all the other laws go all to pot...I mean fall by the wayside (did I say "pot"?)

In other words, I'm still going to be hot on the trail of all you litterbugs, jaywalkers, and those dangerous people who take the tags off of pillows that say "Do not remove under penalty of Law." (I never could stand those people.)

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the recent rash of jaywalking and the outbreak of werewolves is more than coincidental.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Go go gadget bandwagon!

++Kuruharan

I ♥ you, Kuru. *looks sweet*
Old 03-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

*checks pillows* I seem to be good, Kuru!

I also think we should be keeping a close eye on Gil-Galad. The man walks around town dressed as a bat...obviously he has deep-seated issues.

And did anyone have a grudge against Mith? It's always the ones with a grudge...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
1) Diamond- I mean it's such a sweet name, diamond. Everyone thinks diamonds are pretty and sparkly. But all I see when I think of diamonds is a hefty hole in my wallet. Werewolfs=bad, diamonds=bad, put them together. You're all smart
Quote:
I also think we should be keeping a close eye on Gil-Galad. The man walks around town dressed as a bat...obviously he has deep-seated issues.
If we're going to do things like that I think we should watch out for Firefoot. I mean Mith had received a message before her death saying "Beware the Ides of March" a quote made famous by Shakespeare. Shakespeare who was a writer. Mmmm, and Firefoot is a writer. Coincidence? I think not.

Anywho, I see Fea is abusing the retractable votes deal early on. Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna
Anywho, I see Fea is abusing the retractable votes deal early on. Why am I not surprised?
I'm not abusing it, I'm enjoying it. It's a form of recreation. Much like mormy's drugs.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I have further substantiation of my theory.

JennyHallu really means AN HUN's JELLY, which of course the Hun's enjoyed their Opium egro kill Mith means more profit.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Some people here seem to be emptying their pints with quite a haste?

But maybe we should also use our "little grey cells". Well, basically, that is nothing I have invented myself: it surely was that Belgian guy, much more sophisticated than I am. But as I still am an inspector, I would like to propose an idea to be thought of by us all. I know, I almost got lynched the first day in my last game to go on proposing this, but I might try it again, as this company is made out of experts in this inspecting stuff.

So I propose, we start to insert some pressure on the wolves (or drugdealers, or whatever we have here) by voicing our common concern with the silent partners (silent = not posting, or only posting nonsense). We might even "decide" to go for them as the evening draws nearer, if we don't have better ideas.

Why this way?
1) These silent one's are like submarines: they become all the more nauseating and dangerous as the game goes on, and the number of players reduces.
2) The first day lynching is quite random anyhow, with this one, we could have at least something to stand with (not picking randomly the one who is two names down from oneself in the original list of players - I've seen that reasoning in a game!), and in the worst scenario, eg. there really being people who actually don't play, having them removed in the first day, not dragging them all the way to the more critical situations.
3) It would make the wolves posting during the first day: something that could turn out to be useful later on.
4) These silent ones are not good gaming company anyhow. And any specific RL hindrances should be declared in the admin. thread.

I hope this concern is invalid, and all the players turn up, with something to say. The list looks promising, but still...

And I know, that it's hard to make the difference between nonsense and sense, at least on the first day.

But I hope you consider this.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh fine.

--Kuruharan

I tried. *pouts*

Nogrod, I like your idea. Mercilessly slaughter the quiet ones. If you have a legitimate reason to be away, we'll know it. If you don't, you're simply floating. It's better for everyone if all are forced to participate. That way if somebody, for example, says "Fea's a wolf.", they'll actually have some evidence to back them up.

See? I've learned things in my college writing courses. When you make a statement, you have to back it up. All killing quieties does is ascertain that we'll have our works cited page.

So... can I kill you Nogrod? Please? I need somebody onto whom I can latch.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And btw. we really should start with nonsense. I totally agree. What else can we do? But let's just see, who can't come out from it and start making sense as the day goes forwards...

I'll add a piece to this other part of the first day maddness.

Quote:
= Jenny
And did anyone have a grudge against Mith? It's always the ones with a grudge...
Well, she just made me Hercule Poirot in the introduction, as I am not! Grudge-grudge...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #18
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
If we're going to do things like that I think we should watch out for Firefoot. I mean Mith had received a message before her death saying "Beware the Ides of March" a quote made famous by Shakespeare. Shakespeare who was a writer. Mmmm, and Firefoot is a writer. Coincidence? I think not.
You know, if being accused of werewolvery is what it takes to be compared with Shakespeare... I think I can take that. And if you really want to know if I'm a wolf, compare me to JRRT and you won't even have to lynch me - I'll die and go to heaven.

But if you, Kitanna, are a wolf, I will unfortunately have to conclude that you were on drugs when you said that and assume that it is not true, which would be extremely sad. So don't be a wolf.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
= Boromir88
So, the first order of business with 3 wolves amongst 13 players means there's an approximate 1/4 ratio.
This I find both intriguing and most fun. So from every randomly picked four people, we will have one wolf listed with them. That's the probability law. And I know, that this "spreading the first day vote" -tactics, kind of clings to just this fact.

It's quite easy to form a group of four from us lot. And still everytime, it would turn out one wolf by the probabilities.

So if I just say, as a way of probing, that both Feanor and Boromir have been very happy to go on making dire accusations, I could have formed a group of two: meaning that there is a 50% chance of another one of them being a wolf! And add Kitanna to that group of accusers, we have a group of three, and so 75%! That same of course applies, if I say, that me and Jenny have played our first ever two games together, so we form a 50% chance to you others - as do Oddwen and Kuruharan, whose names both end with the letter "n" etc.

For this kind of reasons too, I would be sticking more happily to this "not participating" -tactics as a first reason to go on with the votes this first evening.

There are so far 5 people (Diamond, Sleepy, Gil, Azaelia and Oddwen) who have not yet posted anything, due to the timezones, most probably. But if some people still stand on this kind of list as the day draws to a close?

And a random spread-vote has one great problem in it. We risk lynching a vocal (and thence possibly helpful) villager with a probability of 3/4. That's just too much for us villagers, and would suit the wolves just fine... (they won't be wasting their time, during the nights, on the silent ones)

Last edited by Nogrod; 03-15-2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added "during the nights" to the last sentence, to clear my meaning
Old 03-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++Nogrod

Far too eager to lynch the quiet ones. It's only been 3 to 4 hours and he's worrying about this. I won't retract my vote at this point today unless something major comes to light wot wot.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #21
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So if I just say, as a way of probing, that both Feanor and Boromir have been very happy to go on making dire accusations, I could have formed a group of two: meaning that there is a 50% chance of another one of them being a wolf!
Um... It's been over a year since I've taken maths and I rather loathed it through highschool, ergo I could be wrong. But if a ratio is 1:4 out of a randomly chosen group, then shouldn't the corresponding ratio of a smaller randomly chosen group be .5:2?

Following Nogrod's example, Boro or I would only be half-lupine by probability.

Or I'm misunderstanding the example?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #22
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
For this kind of reasons too, I would be sticking more happily to this "not participating" -tactics as a first reason to go on with the votes this first evening.

There are so far 5 people (Diamond, Sleepy, Gil, Azaelia and Oddwen) who have not yet posted anything, due to the timezones, most probably. But if some people still stand on this kind of list as the day draws to a close?

And a random spread-vote has one great problem in it. We risk lynching a vocal (and thence possibly helpful) villager with a probability of 3/4. That's just too much for us villagers, and would suit the wolves just fine... (they won't be wasting their time, during the nights, on the silent ones)
I'm sorry, but I honestly don't see where you're coming from. I live in an area (EST) which makes it so hard for me to get online right after the start of the game. My entry times will vary each day, but expect me right around this time on weekdays.

I think your call to lynch the quiet ones came just a bit too early. I can see if maybe I didn't show up until right before the deadline, or had missed the first day entirely without advance notice, then yes. There might be some justification there to lynch me (though I wouldn't be happy about it, of course). But just a few hours late? I'm sure I speak for all of us "silent ones" when I say, please, a little grace period would be wonderful.

And before anyone picks on me for voting early, this is a heads-up. I am going to be voting in a few hours, possibly sooner, because of time constraints again.

And allow me to say, if nothing changes, I will probably be voting for you, Norgod, just because your eagerness to get rid of the people who may not be able to get online for a few more hours just doesn't sit right with me.

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Quote:
I'm sure I speak for all of us "silent ones" when I say, please, a little grace period would be wonderful.~Azaelia
When we have wolves no one deserves a grace period, darling. Though I do agree that timezones and other RL reasons should be taken into consideration and not make "quietness" the soul reason to lynch someone.

Quote:
That way if somebody, for example, says "Fea's a wolf.", they'll actually have some evidence to back them up.~Fea
You know my tape recorder is still playing? Do we have a confession!

Quote:
Far too eager to lynch the quiet ones. It's only been 3 to 4 hours and he's worrying about this. I won't retract my vote at this point today unless something major comes to light wot wot.~mormegil
Fine deduction mormegil. In fact it's very unusual to have wolves laying back quietly the first day. Now I know this goes to incriminate me, but wolves like to stick their paws in business. Eventhough, there is typically a quiet, flying under the radar, type wolf, to obscure from discussion on Day 1 for wolves is unusual. They have an advantage we don't, they know who they are and they already come into the day with a strategy and a plan for how they can stick their paws in the situation.

So, I would agree with mormegil and say that Nogrod you are definitely looking odd with your persistance to get us focused on the "quiet" ones. We aren't hear to lynch quiet people, we're here to lynch wolves.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #24
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Well. My time is up, as I have other things that must get done this evening (ie homework, talking with family members, etc). I've been sitting here waiting for anyone to post, but no such luck.

So here's my vote.

++Norgod

Because I said I would, and nothing has happened to change my mind. I hate voting this early on, since I don't have a good sense of who anyone is yet. First days are always tough, and time restrictions don't make it any easier. My vote actually has a reason behind it: so far, he seems to be the most aggressive toward silent members, and that sent up a red flag, since it was so early on in the day, and in the life of this village.

Norgod, there is a hole in your reasoning: you claim that spreading out the vote will cause us to lynch a vocal, and therefore helpful villager. Sure, perhaps in terms of outward appearance. But what if that person whose vocal-ness (ha! new word!) you value so much is really a wolf, masquerading as a helpful, talkative villager?

Granted, a quiet villager could be a wolf trying to fly under the radar, as it were. There's two sides to any argument.

I'm not saying lynch the loud ones. I'm not saying lynch the quiet ones. I'm saying, think, and think hard before voting, even on the first day.

I realize that being hte second vote for someone looks suspicious especially to a person in favor of spreading out the vote. I don't trust anyone's innocence but my own at this point, and am voting for the person who I find most suspicious. I'm not going to try to spread out the vote and go after someone who hasn't even had a chance to speak yet, because it isn't fair.

Edit: Cross-posted with Boro.

Boro, perhaps my wording was off, in that statement in question. What I meant to say is that I think that an early call to lynch people who haven't spoken yet is not necessarily the right way to go about it, and to give people a chance to speak before crying wolf. Who knows, maybe our seer is one of the people who haven't spoken yet.

Last edited by Azaelia of Willowbottom; 03-15-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Azaelia of Willowbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Oh one more thing...
Quote:
I agree, Boro, that the Mystery Machine is an odd contraption. But in my defense, it was my friend Fred's idea.~Jenny
Well aiding and abedding my dear should not go unpunished. So, he goes by Fred, hey, I wonder what person in this village would go by that alias. Well, there was this famous female author, that I forget, who used a male name as a pen name, because ladies weren't allowed to be writing back in the day or something. Is it the same case with this Fred? Doe was have a female going by a male alias? Hmm...

Feanor
Azaelia
Jenny
Firefoot
Kitanna
Diamond
Oddwen

Those are all the female villager (I hope at least if I'm wrong please correct me and you'll have my full apology). So, which one goes by Fred? Well can't be Jenny, unless she has a multiple personality...in the day she's Jenny, and by night she's Fred? Hmmm...

I would imagine Feanor to use a much more sophisticated name then Fred, since she's Fea.

To figure this out, I do have a female friend who named her horse Mr. Fred...how funny is that? Firefoot is the name of a horse, therefor Firefoot is this Fred, so Firefoot is Fred! By golly I did it. Firefoot, there a secret you want to tell us? Where were you on the night of December 15, 1995?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #26
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
First person to speak up accuses me right off the bat. Why am I not surprised it's Boromir? He was the first to express a desire to kill, before this black day even started. A sure sign of unnatural, beastly blood lust.

But does this mean he's a werewolf? Does his seeming obsession with Wile E. Coyote indicate a certain proclivity for doggishness, stemming from his wolfish true nature? Who can say? He might just be your average male.

Here's some food for thought: if I am killed in the night, it might either be Boro or someone trying to look like Boro. Or Boro trying to look like someone trying to look like Boro. Which means, in essence, any logic behind my death will be canceled out. Which means, I'm an easy kill -- when I die you'll be too busy trying to figure out the logic behind it to see other, clearer hints that point toward the wolves.

In essence, you should not lynch me today because I am the perfect ambiguous kill for the werewolves in the night. Maybe not this night, but eventually, mark my words. If you lynch me in hopes that the wolves will pick another victim, you'll be hanging an innocent on purpose and that's just nasty.

If you think I'm a wolf, well, there's really no evidence for or against at this point, so all you have is a guess.

But wouldn't you rather wait to see who the wolves kill first? Boro or me?

I'm not exactly advocating that you not lynch Boro. I realize that standing up for any fellow villager casts pack suspicion on me. Of course, since I know that, would I as a werewolf endanger myself so? Or would I do it on purpose in the assurance that you'll think I couldn't possibly be that stupid? There is no sure answer. So if I say, "Don't lynch me or Boro today," I leave it to you guess whether it's due to the above stated reasons or secret werewolf plotting. Though, if you'd like my opinion, if I were a werewolf I'd find the whole "They won't think I'd do the obvious" scheme to be a little too cheeky. Mainly, I'm just trying save my own derriere by convincing you I'm too interesting to kill.

I don't have anyone exactly in mind for lynching yet.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it okay for me to say which detective I am? Because I'm pretty sure most of you have no idea, since I picked someone rather obscure.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #27
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

PS -- if you want any hints, I am running off to watch her on TV right this minute.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #28
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
To figure this out, I do have a female friend who named her horse Mr. Fred...how funny is that? Firefoot is the name of a horse, therefor Firefoot is this Fred, so Firefoot is Fred! By golly I did it. Firefoot, there a secret you want to tell us? Where were you on the night of December 15, 1995?
Fred? How dull a name (no offense if any of your names is Fred...). My name isn't Fred. Case in point.

While I can see where many of you are coming from with your points about Nogrod, I'm not sure that it merits lynching him. The problem with retractable votes is people are so eager to get votes out there you can't tell if they're completely serious or just trying to put them out there. You say that Nogrod's too eager to lynch the quiet ones, but some of you seem extremely eager to lynch Nogrod... on the other hand, I'm not sure a wolf would be that forward.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #29
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
You say that Nogrod's too eager to lynch the quiet ones, but some of you seem extremely eager to lynch Nogrod... on the other hand, I'm not sure a wolf would be that forward.~Firefoot
Usually that's not the case, though again who knows what the wolves strategy is as far as sticking out there and voting first?

Now I would usually hone in on Azaelia because she quickly followed mormegil's vote for Nogrod. However, if this is the last chance she'll be on, and as she has given viable reason to suspect him (and really that is the most suspicious thing-even though I agree that it doesn't constitute a "let's throw Nogrod in the middle for a public stoning.") then she seems more innocent then some as of right now.

Well through some deductions, as far as this moment I am inclined to believe that Azaelia, Diamond, and Firefoot are innocent (at this moment in time, doesn't mean I can't change.

Azaelia, as explained above. Firefoot for her sensible post, I hope she continues to make contributions like that. Diamond, because of her response to my comment on diamonds being bad.

So for me, as of right now before I retire, this leaves:

Jenny Hallu
Feanor of the Peredhil
Kitanna
Mormegil
Nogrod
Sleepy Ranger
Gil-galad
Kuruharan
Oddwen

Sleepy, Gil-galad, and Oddwen have yet to say something. Oddwen was going to have difficulty finding time, so for now I can't hold anything against her. Gil-galad is going to be Gil-galad he'll be an easy target to be lynched...well because he's Gil-galad. Sleepy I have yet to encounter with so I will with hold judgement on him for now.

Kuru and mormegil unless one of them is a kind wolf and admits it I won't cry for lynching them as their input would be valuable. But, I must say I expect more from mormegil his behavior seems rather eccentric. I don't know I expect him to post more, if you get what I mean. He has made his random accusations, like most everyone else, but usually he posts something of substance and I haven't seen it. But, since this is Day 1 and there isn't much substance I can give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Jenny and Fea are in a lighthearted mood. Which doesn't seem too suspicious, I would expect wolves to act more sorrowfully (I love making up words) acting as they are so depressed and sad over our Mithalwen's death, when really their grinning underneath their tears. I haven't encountered Jenny until now, but I don't put anything past the wheeling and deeling Fea.

Kitanna comes on does a random accusation of Firefoot, not much to say on her.

Nogrod, most suspicious looking, but nothing that cries out that he's a werewolf.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #30
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
Fine deduction mormegil
Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
I expect more from mormegil his behavior seems rather eccentric. I don't know I expect him to post more, if you get what I mean. He has made his random accusations, like most everyone else, but usually he posts something of substance and I haven't seen it.
A bit of a contradiction. You compliment my deduction and later say I've posted nothing of substance. My friend verbosity does not equate to substance. Now my dear Boro do you care to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
While I can see where many of you are coming from with your points about Nogrod, I'm not sure that it merits lynching him.
Oh yes it does!

Quote:
The problem with retractable votes is people are so eager to get votes out there you can't tell if they're completely serious or just trying to put them out there.
True but know that I am.

Quote:
I'm not sure a wolf would be that forward.
Yes they would.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #31
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
alas it is a bad time for this village... during times like these plagues democarcy is vacant and many innocents lose their lives
Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #32
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Time has come today / Young hearts can go that way

Well well nae, mah wee bairns, seems we have a fouul murrrrrrrder on aer hands...

True - Nogrod seems hasty to accuse the quiet ones early - and Morm & B88 - sparring off?

Quote:
We risk lynching a vocal (and thence possibly helpful) villager with a probability of 3/4. That's just too much for us villagers, and would suit the wolves just fine... (they won't be wasting their time, during the nights, on the silent ones)
Who says all the vocal people are helpful? And how do you know the wolves think the quiet ones are a "waste"? So early in the game? And again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b88
Doe was have a female going by a male alias? Hmm...
What if this "Fred" is short for "Alfreda", hmm?
Bah.

I'll see about more in the morning.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #33
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm not so sure that Nogrod is really on such a wrong track in wanting to focus on quiet ones to begin with. They...how to put this...don't exactly help the proceedings along very much. However, this also makes them an easy early target for wolf guided lynching.

There is, unfortunately, only one test to determine the intentions of those who propose lynching quiet ones. It is a bit drastic and unreliable because the only thing you really prove is whether that person was or was not a wolf. Since it is more likely that any one person is innocent, if the accuser turns out to be innocent, then you haven't proven a thing and have just cast a chill over people speaking their minds.

Of course, on the other hand, they might be a wolf.

However, now there don't really seem to be any "quiet ones" left. At least I think everybody has posted...

The good news is that we at least have an opening theory to work from...sort of.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #34
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I see Nogrod has made quite a name for himself since I last checked. His "lynch the silent villagers" plan seems more malicious than wolfish to me.
Quote:
Why this way?
1) These silent one's are like submarines: they become all the more nauseating and dangerous as the game goes on, and the number of players reduces.
2) The first day lynching is quite random anyhow, with this one, we could have at least something to stand with (not picking randomly the one who is two names down from oneself in the original list of players - I've seen that reasoning in a game!), and in the worst scenario, eg. there really being people who actually don't play, having them removed in the first day, not dragging them all the way to the more critical situations.
3) It would make the wolves posting during the first day: something that could turn out to be useful later on.
4) These silent ones are not good gaming company anyhow. And any specific RL hindrances should be declared in the admin. thread.
His first three points can be seen as reasonable, but his fourth point is more of an attack on anyone who can't get on often. Despite his overeagerness to get the silent ones I'd hesitate voting for him (at this point at least). I feel this move on his part is too wreckless for a wolf. But still Nogrod has raised a few warning flags, yet, for me it is too early to make a desicion that can comdemn him.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #35
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

tired...

Just thought I'd check in. I'm still around; watching. I'm uncertain of my thoughts toward Nogrod. The inexplicably random part of me is calling for a closer look at him. Nobody addressed my maths question, and that makes me sad, since I don't know if I'm right or wrong about the whole probability thing.

The nice calm (read: exhausted) part of me says "Let's let it all wait until tomorrow. We'll think about Nogrod then." The awake part (read: I had caffiene recently) says "It already is tomorrow. It turned tomorrow while you were outlining your term paper in the studio as your screen-filler dried and you were trying to come up with next week's lesson plan. Just lynch him, see if he's a wolf trying to manipulate us, and if he's innocent, feel a bit bad and then take his advice as what it then would obviously be: that of an outspoken innocent. And if he IS innocent, you can take close looks at anybody that voted for him. Evidence is evidence no matter the circumstances under which it is gained."

As you can see, when I'm tired, the voices in my head argue as to what I ought to be thinking about villagers that everybody else thinks are suspicious. I'm rather of the opinion that I should ignore the caffiene, since it's also saying that I should cartwheel down my hall. I haven't seen anything of Nogrod to make me nervous. All of Nogrod's points seemed and still seem pretty valid. What's got me wondering at all is that Zali and Morm seem so worried. Maybe they've seen something I haven't.

Which is why, after this meandering post, I've decided to wait until after class tomorrow (I'll be back around 12:30 PM EST) to make any decisions. In theory, by that point I'll be a bit rested. Try not to kill anyone without me. But talk a lot. Especially the wolves. It would be very nice of you to come out and reveal yourselves. Please? It would be fun. You like fun. Right?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #36
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Well, I for one still have no idea who to vote for. Everyone seems equal parts suspicious and innocent. I would have to read over everything a few more times to find any clues, but my brain is slowly dying. Posts swim before my eyes as they glaze over. My eyes, not the posts. See? Even my participles are dangling in a weary fasion. Maybe I'll have some of that caffiene Fea is operating on....

I could do the totally random thing and throw out a vote for just anyone, or jump on the Nogrod bandwagon, but I am paralyzed with the fear that whatever I do will cast suspicion. Curses and bother. I think I will check back in the morning (or, as it is in the hallowed hereafter where the ghost of our beloved Mith dwells and dictactes the fates of us all, the evening) to see what other people with more initiative have decided.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:41 AM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I thought of opening some discussion. Well, I surely seem to have succeeded. Thanks people for your confidence!

But just to mend some quite clear misunderstandings.

Mormegil: Far too eager to lynch... It's only been 3 to 4 hours and he's worrying this...
Azaelia: ...call for lynch... came just a bit too early.

I think I said it quite clearly: we should consider this, and then make decisions: not on the third hour, but at the time anyone has to make her/his decision.

And Azaelia. See what I write here (in a paragraph you yourself quoted)

Quote:
= Nogrod
So I was not forgetting that people have different timezones: on the contrary, I openly discussed the matter, as you see.

Quote:
= Oddwen
Who says all the vocal people are helpful? And how do you know the wolves think the quiet ones are a "waste"? So early in the game? And again?
Vocal wolf is helpful for us - at least more helpful than a silent one. And a vocal villager is of help (if s/he's having some substance - I admit that "vocalness" was a wrong choice of a word here: "substantial" is better), as a silent one is not.

And I can't see any reason for a wolf to kill a silent villager during the night. They cause no threat to them, and can be left freefloating for the villagers to be worried about.

And for my "bloodlust" again. Don't be hypocritical about us not needing to vote today. You can think about your reasons for voting at the first minute. I think one should!

And if you search for a quick to hunger blood, take a look at Morm. f.ex.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 AM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Why this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna
His first three points can be seen as reasonable, but his fourth point is more of an attack on anyone who can't get on often.
Well, that was not intended like that. I have been in two games, and at both ones, there have been people who write max. once a day, and say only "Oh how sad X died... boohoohoo..." And that's it. All of it! I don't think anyone likes to play with that kind of players - then see reason 1). We seem to be having something like an example on Gil (again) today. If there are no other posts by him today, then you see what I mean with "silent" or "nonsubstantial"...

I really enjoy playing with someone, who only posts once a day, if there really is substance in that post (well, at least twice should of course be better).
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #39
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin
there have been people who write max. once a day, and say only "Oh how sad X died... boohoohoo..." And that's it.
True...those people aren't helpful...

And dang, that's all I can think of to say.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #40
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

The names Ranger, Sleepy Ranger... I'll have a mountain dew, shaken not stirred.

As it is the first day and seeing how someone has to die, don't worry you only live twice, and seeing how I doubt I'll be able to post much more today I've decided to shoot at random. Not that it really matters since I have a license to kill.

++Feanor of the Peredhil

Nothing personal, dear, just about the whole WWJ I thing you see... oh wait... I guess it is personal.