The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Tolkien's music

On a lighter note from my last topic I'd like to discuss a topic which is of great interest to me the songs that the characters sing during Lord of the Rings. I love the Tolkien's poetry and I am wondering whether Tolkien had any melodies in mind when he wrote the words. Was he much of a musician?

I've posted below a musician who wrote melodies and sang the songs in the book. I'm wondering whether people think he has done as good job of it as I think he has.

My favourite is his interpetation of Beren and Luthien I think it is very poignant and beautiful. I was wondering if the completed version is anywhere and also if Tolkien ever completed 'the fall of gil galad' (by the way there is an excellent version of this on the bbc's audiobook, I managed to work out the melody on the piano)
Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Tar-Meneldur
Pile O'Bones

Tar-Meneldur has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Tolkien was in a word, one of the greats in my mind.
I mean I know people would maybe pick people such as Poe, and Frost, and Wilde , and many others more, but Tolkien was in my mind great at both writting poetry and writting songs.
Yet, I myself have tryed to make melodies from his songs, really I just try to think about what Tolkien was humming at the moment as he was writting the song, but some of them are hard for me to think of a melody thats goes with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Meneldur
I think Tolkien was in a word, one of the greats in my mind.
I mean I know people would maybe pick people such as Poe, and Frost, and Wilde , and many others more, but Tolkien was in my mind great at both writting poetry and writting songs.
Yet, I myself have tryed to make melodies from his songs, really I just try to think about what Tolkien was humming at the moment as he was writting the song, but some of them are hard for me to think of a melody thats goes with it.
I make up my own melodies whenever I read it, sometimes they stick,other times they are completely new. I'd love to hear a real musicians take on the melodies.

Hewho, did you say you were going to post a musician? Like a link to some MP3's or something(if they exist?) I'd be interested in checking those out.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I'd already posted the link in another topic but its worth having it again the man's a genius http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ngs+colin+rudd
Old 01-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The composer Donald Swann wrote melodies to a number of Tolkien's poems during the professor's lifetime. They were approved by him, and he even added his own melody for Galadriel's Namįriė. The song cycle The Road Goes Ever On was first published in 1967; Tolkien was still alive. It was then recorded by the singer William Elvin (nomen est omen?!). This recording is included in the book version that I own - a book well worth buying, as it also includes Tolkien's notes on translations of some of the Elvish poetry.

Of course, everyone has different mental images of melodies, and no one else's songs will be quite like what one person envisions. I, for example, was not satisfied with Swann's version of Bilbo's walking song "The Road Goes Ever On", nor with the movie melody. I made up my own and have sung it to myself on hiking trips.

For more discussion on Tolkien-based music, check out the Middle-Earth Music Reviews thread. You'll find a number of productions there.

In answer to your question, Tolkien himself was not a musician, but his wife Edith was an accomplished pianist.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

I usually make up different kind of melodies when reading, although some of the movie adaptations stick for me, such as "The Road Goes Ever On and On."

Ted Nasmith, a renowned Tolkien artist for many years, is also a musician and he creates music along with a friend to Tolkien's poems. His official site, http://www.tednasmith.com/, features some of them. They're quite nice.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Matthew, you can hear ol' Ted for free at each Oxonmoot. You just have to be prepared to run when a certain someone gets up to sing with him...

Now I've no idea if Tolkien could actually read music or play anything - there's no record of that as far as I know (but I'll have a rummage in the encyclopaedic Companion & Guide, as it will be in there if it's anywhere). But it's likely he did have an 'ear' for music. He was born in a time when radios and televisions were not around, and gramophones would have been forbiddingly expensive as his family was quite poor, so making your own music would have been the 'norm' - even if he could not read music he could probably sing - my own grandfather could not read music but it didn't stop him from being able to play piano and accordion pretty well. And of course he used to attend a Catholic church and music is always important in services; I imagine they will have had a sung mass.

I actually quite liked that little melody they created for "The Road Goes Ever On" in the films - I found it quite stately.

Last edited by Lalwendė; 01-20-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote