The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Appendix where Gandalf and the hobbits discuss their adventure

Some time ago someone here at BD posted a link to an appendix written by JRRT where Gandalf and the hobbits are discussing the aftermath of their adventures. I believe Merry asks him what caused him to choose Bilbo to accompany the dwarves to Erebor and Gandalf goes on to explain some of the decisions he had to make leading up to their quest.

Could someone please tell me in which book this appendix can be found, and perhaps the link also?

Thank you.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Don't know about the link, but a part of the discussion is (briefly) included in LotR itself; in Appendix A, III: Durin's Folk, and in larger length in the Unfinished Tales - the whole chapter "Quest of Erebor".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
About the link, I guess its illegal to post links to copyrighted works on the net...I mean I don't care about other authors, but at least in Tolkien's case you could go buy the book.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You're referring to the text "The Quest of Erebor" of which there are four known versions, three of which are in print. As said above, the last, very condensed, version is in Appendix A. A longer narrative was printed in Unfinished Tales (with descriptions of the variant versions); and yet a third appears in the 2nd Edition of Doug Anderson's "Annotated Hobbit."
Old 09-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Don't confuse this 'appendix' with the Epilogue Tolkien wrote for LotR but also left out, which is a whole other, er, thing......
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
I'd say the one to look at is The Quest of Erebor in the Unfinished Tales...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
It's in the Unfinished Tales. I know this because I have the book and I've read the chapter The Quest for Erebor. I hope that was helpful.