The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Question Data loss, or what?

A random question - has anyone else noticed, possibly sometime yesterday between (at least from what I know) something like 8PM GMT-2AM GMT (very roughly), loss of some posts you have posted or things you have changed at that time?

Does perhaps any of the admins know what happened? I am just curious and puzzled...

I know at least about the threads I've been posting in - basically the things I have posted/changed at that point are now gone (one post at Scarburg Mead Hall, one post at Scarburg Mead Hall discussion thread, followed by at least one post by Folwren, one PM I have sent, and the change of my signature). So... does perhaps somebody have a similar experience, have you noticed something like that happening in other threads in which you were posting?

And what might have been the reason? Some server-data-backup kicking off or whatever?

A good reminder, probably, that technology is not always as reliable as we often take for granted...?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I seem to have lost a post in this forum as well... I edited it, which worked, but later it vanished; and so far, it's still missing.

I wasn't going to note it, but since you brought it up
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I posted at the Golden perch and I was sure that it had loaded and then when I checked later it had gone. I thought I was going mad (er). I did have to top up my PAYG dongle at about that time and thought maybe I had missed it not actually posting save that I was sure I had seen other RPG posts since Nogrods . I was busy this morning so I hadn't had time to repost but pio may be able to rescue "ghosts". Fortuanately in my case it wasn't a long or sophisticated post but.. I am glad I wasn't losing the plot ..as well as the posts...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh and if there is a benevolent admin playing around with the RPG Forum - I have noticed (and I don't think it is only my techno-idiocy here) that you can't rate threads in the RPG section anymore which is rather a shame, IMO, given the sustained effort needed to produce good RPGs. And it is a way of showing appreciation to the ensemble rather than to individual posters.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes, I noticed that too. I asked about it in the BD forum. Weird...

Also, during approximately in that time period, the smileys rearranged themselves, which is even weirder. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Okay, so I'm not crazy (or at least any more so than usual). Weird.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Me too. I wrote three or four posts yesterday - one to the Riddles thread, one to the King's Players Discussion thread, one wishing Boro a happy birthday and some nugae that escape me at the moment - , and all of them are gone. Nothing world-shaking there, but I'd hate it if the same had happened to an RP post or one to a serious Books discussion.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...the same thing happened to me too. But since I was harrassing a potential spam (I say potential, because the spammer failed to set up his sig line properly), I just naturally thought the mods came by and deleted it.