The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2002, 01:54 PM   #1
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe of dragons and wings

I believe that this has been disscussed before, but I didn't find anything when I did a search.

It is clear that Smaug had wings, but I have just read in Of the Fifth Battle, a description of the attack by the father of dragons, Glaurung, and it is unclear if he had wings or not. In fact it sounds more like he didn't have wings.

Is there any definative or implied evidence for if all dragons had wings? And which ones did not have wings and why?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM   #2
Dark-Caranthir
Haunting Spirit

Dark-Caranthir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first dragons (of whom Glaurung was the greatest and first) did not have wings, presumably because Morgoth hadn't gotten the hang of making them with wings, or something like that. However by the War of Wrath, the first winged dragons (led by Ancaglon the Black) had appeared. Although they didn't help Morgoth very much. Smaug was one of this breed but he escaped the devestation at the end of the Wor of Wrath, along with some other dragons, Balrogs and orcs.
Dark-Caranthir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were essentially four types of dragens: Cold Drakes, Fire Drakes, Winged Dragons, and Winged Fire Dragons (I am not entirley sure if you get none-firebreathing winged dragons)

Glaurung was the first and he could breath fire. His children (spawn?) varied a lot, some were very traditional looking dragons, and some were much more sluglike (more like Glaurung himself).
Old 12-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

thats not true that the winged dragons didnt help him at all.....i remember reading that they were overwhelmed for a sec but then the host of the west continued woopin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:48 PM   #5
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

They actually totally held them back, and for quite a while. I assume many elves and men lost their lives on the onslaught. It wasn't until Earendel and the Eagles came that the side was turned.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:30 PM   #6
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Wait.... if Glaurung was the first, and the rest were his spawn, what did he mate with to produce these? Is there some untold female dragon, or a big crocodile, or Ungoliant, or what? Anyone?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:39 AM   #7
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Who knows, who knows. Dragons, or at least Glaurung, may well be asexaul. It is said somewhere "he reproduced, in the strange way dragons do". I am not sure if that was a JRRT quote, or from another book, or maybe even from the Downs. Any idea?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey maybe we all should get together and write a book an ME genetics! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It dosent give much info as to creation and reproduction of Morgoth's creatures. Maybe that's why they live so long. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
Types of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galorme
There were essentially four types of dragens: Cold Drakes, Fire Drakes, Winged Dragons, and Winged Fire Dragons (I am not entirley sure if you get none-firebreathing winged dragons)

Glaurung was the first and he could breath fire. His children (spawn?) varied a lot, some were very traditional looking dragons, and some were much more sluglike (more like Glaurung himself).
So, were there combos of any of these? Winged cold-drakes? We are told about Scatha, who was a cold-drake, and the dragon who drove the drove Thorin's folk from the Grey Mountains was presumably a cold-drake. I have also heard mentioned somewhere "long wyrms" in a reference to Tolkien. Were there ever any true wyrms, with no legs or wings?
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Here is a thread that you might find interesting.

The Source of Dragons

Personally, I thought that maybe Morgoth twisted some pre-existing creature to form dragons. It would be sort of like the mythical 'twisting of the elves' except to make dragons. That could explain how he was able to better them over time.