The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2000, 09:12 AM   #1
Grond
Shade of Carn Dûm

Grond has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Fourth Silmaril?

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
I´ve already posted this at the quiz room, consecuence of a question I made.
The matter is this:
It is said that the colour of the hair of Galadriel was like the ligths of the Two Trees of Valinor when mixed (that first gave Feanor the idea of Silmarils), Feanor asked Galadriel for a strand of her hair but Galadriel declined, probably adding to Feanor's hatred of that side of the family. But, as we all know, when leaving Lorien, Gimli asked for and received three strands of Galadriel's hair.
Since the first idea of Feanor was putting the hair of Galadriel inside a Crystal (in this case, made of Silma), the same Gimli said he was going to do with those strands, do we have a fourth Silmaril? Is it related with the prophecy of Mandos about the return of Morgoth and the end of the world?

</p>
Grond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 10:35 AM   #2
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
Fourth silmaril?

I don't think so, Gimli would put them in quartz, not in Silma. I always think of that story when I see rutiel quartz. (Sorry, lost my dictionary)

</p>
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 11:32 AM   #3
Saulotus
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saulotus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
Re: Fourth Silmaril?

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Posted by Grond
'do we have a fourth Silmaril?'<hr></blockquote>
No.
Gimli does not have the knowledge of the construction of Silma, only Feanor had that knowledge.
The Silmarilli were gems that captured the mingled light of the Two Trees.
The hair of Galadriel was the inspiration, not an ingredient.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Posted by Grond
'Is it related with the prophecy of Mandos about the return of Morgoth and the end of the world?'<hr></blockquote>
No.
The Prophecy of Mandos concerning the End was converted into the 'Old Hope' of ATHRABETH. It no longer is used in its original presentation, other than an eventual Last Battle (in which Turin does NOT appear) as an eventuality. This is not to say that the Silmarilli will not be recovered at the End, only that Turin as the redemptive force of Man against Melkor is gone. How much of the original Prophecy ingredients remain is in doubt.

</p>
Saulotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 10:34 PM   #4
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Essence of Darkness

The idea of a fourth Silmaril is, if I am permitted to say so, absurd. For the elf-hair crystal of Gimli to be as a Silmaril, Galadriel's hair would have to shine as brightly as the Two Trees of Valinor.

Usually keeping a lookout over http://pub24.ezboard.com/bmountgundabadMount Gundabad</a> and http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi The Barrowdowns</a> Middle-Earth Discussion Boards</p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 01:26 PM   #5
Feanor
Pile O'Bones

Feanor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased

Sounds pretty impossible to me. No one had the knowledge required to make the Silmarils, save Feanor alone. And, sad as it may be, he's long dead, and won't be coming back from Mandos any time soon. Also, the silmarils were made by capturing the light of the two trees. From what I understand, those no longer give off any light. So I find the possibility highly unlikely, if not altogether impossible.

</p>
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Since the first idea of Feanor was putting the hair of Galadriel inside a Crystal (in this case, made of Silma), the same Gimli said he was going to do with those strands, do we have a fourth Silmaril? Is it related with the prophecy of Mandos about the return of Morgoth and the end of the world?
I don't think so. Only Fëanor could make the Silmarils, and he stated that after he made the original 3, he was unable to make them again.
No disrespect to Gimli, but he couldn't equal the skill of Fëanor, no one could.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:32 PM   #7
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for your vital insight, Maédhros. If you hadn't posted I think that this unresolved thread would have festered in the pits of my mind until forever. I am greatly in your debt.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Were you just being sarcastic Burra?
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Thanks for your vital insight, Maédhros. If you hadn't posted I think that this unresolved thread would have festered in the pits of my mind until forever. I am greatly in your debt.
Always glad to help. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 08:43 PM   #10
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think clearly Gimli's cystal encasement of Galadriel's lock is no more a Silmaril than the vial given to Frodo.

But I've always wondered about the Arkenstone.

At least it seems to be a "working-man's" version of Silmaril, apparently obtained from more natural means than Feanor's manufacturing process.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote