The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
luingon

Silmaril Why and how does Gandalf come back as Gandalf the White?

Best part in the book so far... made better by the fact I actually thought it was Saruman! Please can someone explain how he came back? And where had he gone? Thankyou...
sorry for being ignorant!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #2
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Where are you in the book? As far as I am concerned it explains it perfectly later on. But I'm a little rusty on TTT (I last read it about 3 weeks ago [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), so I may be wrong. Keep reading is all I can say. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome to the downs, by ther way! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Enjoy your new grave (hee hee) and serious forum-mates' replies and posts! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Sad, I know... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Aaanyway. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
luingon

Silmaril

cheers
well, Gandalf only just came back but I was too impatient to wait! And got confusing explanation I didnt understand at all when I asked my best friend, who I'm reading lotr for anyway! But really really enjoying it, so thanks for reassuring me that I'll reach it sooner or later...
Old 12-04-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
sheELF

The Eye

my dad told me this because i didn't understand the explanation that the book had told me. When gandalf fell from the bridge he fell for a long way then once he finally hit the bottom he battled the ballrog to the death and how he became gandalf the white is he sacraficed himself for the sake of others and doing this and winning against the ballrog had him "evolove" into gandalf the white. or sumthing like that.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:15 PM   #5
Sauron999
Animated Skeleton

Sauron999 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First, Gandalf fell down the bridge, then he fell into deep water. the Balrog's fire went out, Gandalf tells Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli later on that now the Balrog was like a snake when they fought on. Finally the Balrog tries to escape from Gandalf, Gandalf runs after him, so he is safed by the Balrog because he doesn't know the way out. They go up the Great Stair and come out at the top of a mountain (was it Caradhras?) where they fight on again. I think the Balrog has got it's fire again. After a long fight, with thunder and firestorms, the Balrog falls down from the mountain-top. Gandalf, too dies because of his wounds.
Now he doesn't tell exactly on which ways he wandered, but he gets to Valinor in the west and obviously meets the Valar (or even Eru, I can't say sorry). After all, he is sent backto Middle-Earth to end his quest in defeating Sauron.
He is no longer Gandalf the Grey, but Gandalf the white, because the treason of Saruman (being the White, head of the Istari and of the White Council) is made clear. Saruman has openly declared war upon Middle-Earth, so he can't be the White anymore. He's evil now. That's why Gandalf becomes The White now. You will read what happens to Saruman later on.

I hope i could answer your question properly.