The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2002, 07:46 PM   #1
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Elves Aging

I have a question about the aging process of Elves. Is it like,at 1000 years they look 1yr old? Or do they age normally, then stop at a certain age and look like that for the rest of their existance? This has been bugging me for ages to please help!
Old 12-14-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the back of Return of the King, in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, it said something about Arwen having 'passed her mortal years.' So I'm assuming your second guess was right, though I don't know. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Obviously Elves have mortal years at a stage in their lives, though.

~Nurumaiel
Old 12-15-2002, 06:20 AM   #3
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If you read HoME i can't remember which one possible 10 then it has a whole essay on custumes and traditions of the elves. In this it states that elven children look just like mortals just slimmer and more graceful having more control over their bodies than humans. elves grow slower than humans, staying in the 'spring of youth' longer. so they could look 7 and be 20.

okay not having the book in front of me really doesn't help but it was basically that. Does it make sense? No it doesn't but you could get the book i think its no.10,or of course ask someone else to explain!

the only thing i remember really clearly was that elven children have two names and can pick a thrid themsleves when they're 7. that would be fun!!

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-17-2002, 02:39 AM   #4
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't know if this means anything but (once again) in the tale of Aragorn and Arwen it says that Aragorn when he was 49 Aragorn returned to Imladris after travelling since he was 20 or so and upon viewing Arwen:

"She was little changed, for the mortal years had passed her by"

I don't know what this means in relation to ageing, but i might mean something...
Old 12-17-2002, 08:29 AM   #5
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think
Quote:
the mortal years passed her by
means that she did not age as mortals do. The years of mortal people mean nothing to her, therefore they pass by her with no effect, thus she is little changed.
That's my two cents anyway. Doesn't mean I'm right.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
Elves are only imortal because the one ring is in existance, so once it is destroyed I believe they are mortal. But they can sail to the imortal lands.
________
ASIAN TEEN

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The elves were immortal before the rings of power ever came to be! Immortally was a gift from Eru - the one, Illuvater, father of all things except dwarves cause they were created by Aule. Which is why elves and men are called children.

Sorry this is totally off subject! And I still can't find my HoME ten so still can't give you the quote from the book to back up what i was saying about aging. it was a really cool essay though, wish we could do ones like that in school! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #8
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"She was little changed, for the mortal years had passed her by"
I think it means that till a certain age the elves constantly change their appearance like mortals do but just slower as arelendil
said about them being 20 but looking 7 and when they reach maturity (whatever that age is for elves) they stop aging in looks and only their sort of aura thingy can really give an impression of how old they are because if they are really wise like Galadriel they can somehow give you an impression that they are really old and have seen loads of things and have learnt much just by looking at them......i think......something like that maybe
Old 12-21-2002, 01:24 PM   #9
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
But they can sail to the imortal lands
uh, i'm probably wrong, but isn't that the undying lands?? sorry if i'm wrong, i just have this feeling about it.....
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote