The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2002, 04:49 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril The Magic of Singing

Singing so powerful that it creates the earth – isn’t the Ainulindale (in the Silmarillion) an awesome and beautiful story?! It moves and touches me. Interestingly, there’s a definite parallel in C. S. Lewis’ Narnia (Book 6 of the Chronicles of Narnia, The Magician’s Nephew) – it’s created by singing as well.

In LotR, Tom Bombadil’s singing has magical powers, though not quite as earthshaking (maybe because it’s so nonsensical?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Even the non-magical singing has the power to preserve and pass on memories – sung history. That’s magic we’ve all experienced – words are memorized and remembered so much more easily when they’re put to music.

What do you think about the magic of singing? Are there other examples in Tolkien’s books, or did he write about it in his letters? Do you know of myths that mention something similar? Has that concept shown up in other books you’ve read? I’d love to hear more about it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:05 AM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

all I can think of is the Sirens...and remember Aslan in the Magician's Nephew, singing to awaken the plants and animals??? and the deer that came out of the grass antlers first????? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
singing...there is a sort of magic to it; it's pure voice, if that makes sense-almost pure soul sometimes
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:35 AM   #3
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Luthien's singing was noted for its power.
Quote:
Then suddenly she eluded his {Morgoth's} sight, and out of the shadows began a song of such blinding power that he listened perforce; and a blindness came upon him, as his eyes roamed to and fro, seeking her.
All his court were cast down in slumber, an dll the fires faded and were quenched; but the Silmarils in the crown on Morgoth's head blazed forth suddenly with a radiance of white flame; and the burden of that crown and the jewels bowed his head, as though the world were set upon it, laden with a weight of care, of fear, and of desire, that even the will of Morgoth could not support
Also, earlier in the same story, Finrod Felagund and Sauron have a battle of songs.
Quote:
For Felegund strove with Sauron in songs of power, and the power of the King was very great; but Sauron had the mastery ...
The power of song was also used in the creation of the Two Trees, Telperion and Laurelin.
Quote:
Before its {Valinor's}western gate there was a green mound, Ezellohar, that is named also Corollaire; and Yavanna hallowed it, and she sat there long upon the green grass and sang a song of power, in which was set all her thoughts of things that grow in the earth. ...In that time the Valar were gathered together to hear the song of Yavanna ... and Yavanna Kementari sang before them and they watched.
And as they watched, upon the mound there came forth two slender shoots; and silence was over all in that hour, nor was there any sound save the chanting of Yavanna. Under her song the saplings grew and became fair and tall, and came to flower; and thus there awoke in the world the Two Trees of Valinor. Of all things which Yavanna made they have most renown, and about their fate all the Tales of the Elder Days are woven.
[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-11-2002, 06:11 AM   #4
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When the elves sing at Rivendell Frodo sees wonderful visions.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:22 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Neat topic!

Of course, Frodo and Sam wouldn't have gotten far into Mordor without singing.

In our own world, who can forget the story of Orpheus and Eurydice? The tribes of North America all have Creation stories involving song.

In fact, in most of the religions of the world, the power of the Spirit is in song.

It just goes on and on...
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 08:44 AM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

And Maglor's singing, flowers sprung up when he sang.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 03:54 PM   #7
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Luthien also sang to make her hair grow long when she was trapped in Hirilorn. And Felagund sang a spell to disguise Beren and their companions as Orcs.

I believe I read somewhere that there were singing wizards in the Kalevala, one of Tolkien's main inspirations.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Singing is praying twice.

Good topic! I think you're on to something! Singing seems so much better! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #9
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Well, the best defence in a spiritual battle is to sing praises to God. Demons hate that. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

One of my big time fave scenes in all of LotR is Sam singing his song in the tower of Cirith Ungol. He never would've found Frodo without that song.

And, before I read "The Silmarillion" or "The Magician's Nephew", I determined that the creation of my little fantasy world, R'dao, was done mostly by Sion's singing. There was some writing of names, too, but R'dao came about by song. And the equivelant of the gospels in R'dao is "the song"; Jesus is represented by the first ever wandering minstrel/bard known simply as "Mwimbaje" (Swahili for "singer"). He never says much, if anything at all, but when he comes around, he's always playing a song on his guitar that speaks to people who listen far more effectively than any sung words could. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I love songs. *contented sigh*
Old 09-28-2002, 08:08 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I found another example of magical, creative singing in FotR - Galadriel sings in 'Farewell to Lórien':
Quote:
I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew:
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew.
The closing lines are poignant, as if the magic now failed:
Quote:
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:49 AM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think singing is an awesome power. Well, "power", I guess.
After being in many choirs, and such, I realize how much joy I am now missing by not being part of them anymore. Even if singing in the real world cannot awaken a life form, it certainly can awaken emotions and memories of all kinds.
In acting, sometimes people choose songs that fit their characters' personalities to be able to understand that character more deeply. It is a very useful tool. It is amazing that song can get us to such emotional heights so quickly.
I think it's great that many ancient cultures used singing as a way of passing down their heritage and their history. It is also proof that singing has had a great affect over that ages because there are still songs in the world today that have existed for hundreds of years.

One piece that I really enjoy that involves singing is "Meadowlark" by Stephen Schwartz. It speaks of a blind woman who really only expressed herself by singing, and the king loved her...
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:54 PM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The old testament is replete with examples of worship music that invited the presence of God, and his presence comes, ften in power and glory. I'm always reminded of that whenever Frodo hears elvish singing and his heart opens to it, and he is pierced by it.

In the New Testament, it was during Paul and Silas's imprisonment that they worshipped and sang, and the doors of the jail sprung open. Reminds me of Sam and Frodo in Cirith Ungol; the song was what began Frodo's freedom.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:11 AM   #13
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Silmaril

WOAH!! great topic!! but music seems to convey feelings better than any thing else
Quote:
"My spirit and my voice in one combined" phantom of the opera
Old 09-29-2002, 04:27 AM   #14
Glorfinniel the Lost
Wight

Glorfinniel the Lost has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only examples of magical singing in mythology I can think of now, besides the Sirens, is of Aonghus, the Celtic equiavalent of Eros who could calm rough seas with his rather whimisical singing and Orpheus who could move even inanimate objects by playing his Lyra and singing.

I believe that not only is laughter the music of the soul but also song, as it can express what words cannot, reveal emotions and feelings and stir courage, hope and bravery in the face of oppression.And that in itself is magic.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:01 AM   #15
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

The power of choral singing is well known in western music. Think of Handel's Messiah.

Taking Tolkien's cue and thinking of the bible as true myth, think of all the singing the Hebrews did in their psalms and in many of their stories. Singing is rite. Ritual looses mythic (psychic/spiritual) power. Done chorally increases its power.

Gregorian chant has ritual power to it, too. I've felt it when chanted live.

I wish Peter what's-his-name (Jackson?) could have incorporated that in the movie. The two Enya songs are pretty good, but I could imagine a suite of choruses of the Elves. Someone needs to compose that.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:11 AM   #16
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Somehow I don't see the Elves as being the choral chanting type. I think they were more solo bardish types. Choral chanting seems more Dwarvish to me. (Wonder why I'd think that?)
Old 09-29-2002, 11:13 AM   #17
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The one example in the movie I can think of is the Elves choral chanting of the Lament for Mithrandir, though it was in the background softly, under the dialog.

I think P.J. avoided it for fear people would think he was creating a "musical". Though I understand he will have Strider singing of Gil-Galad in the extended version.

I wonder if Sam will sing in Mordor?

Oooops, this is turning into a "cross-over" post. Sorry.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:20 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahhh, a topic after my own name!

The passage in FotR in Rivendell as Frodo and Bilbo are slipping out [ they are crazy I always think] captures more of the feeling that JRRT tries to convey re: Elvish singing than any other I can think of.

I saw the title of this thread on my way out the door and had time to contemplate it and my as yet unstarted fanfic. Th thread must have caught me a t a right time as it finally gelled my ideas re: the storylines. I give below a rough outline as much to spur myself on as anything else. Anyone who might have further suggestions is welcome to put them on my Osanwe board where I will post the rough draft today [ article of the 'week' forum]

The Tale of Linuial and the transmission of Linosanwe including the
the 32 aphorisms of Maglor and Daeron

Linuial is an Arthedainian Court Minstrel to Arvedui who becomes apprenticed to the previous minstril in his old age but before he can go far on his training the mentor dies so he is sent to Rivendell to study w/ Tarlin the last direct disciple of the singing and osanwe traditions of Daeron and Maglor.

He learns much on repeated trips to Imladris. Is sent in the embassy of Arvedui to claim the Crown of Gondor and his singing though not able to woo the hard hearts of Gondor still has it's effect, which will last through the ages.

Linuial is one of the few to survive the fall of Arthedain and through his story we are given glimpses of Fornost Erain and the debate among the Dunedain wether to accept Elronds offer of sanctuary or not and the decision to remove to the hidden fastness of the Cheiftans where the remnants of the Dunedain of Cardolan and Arthedain remove to.

Much of the text will focus on the 10 aphorisms of Maglor in which he formulated the Vanyarin approach [ they were not sytematizers as where the Noldor] to Linosanwe [ the transmission of thought through singing] much of this lore is said to have come form the Valar themselves; the 22 aphorisms of Daeron where found in his dwelling after he disappeared and wherer treasured by the Sindar [ and later the sylvan elves who came into contact w/ the Sindar in Rhovanion and Lindon] in it are said to contain the essence of the teaching of Melian. Melian in particular was very skilled in Linosanwe and shared her lore of Valinor eagerly in the early days of the Kingdom of Doriath before the return of Morgoth and the Noldor.

Well there is my ambitious outline - wish me luck!!! I will need it and a lot of stick-to-itness.

A further note [ a little off topic] re: elvish singing. I read in a very interesting interview w/ Jon Anderson the singer/lyricist of Yes that for him 'everything he has tried to do musically has been a reflection of elvish culture of Tolkien'.paraphrase.

Yes' album 'Going for the One' has 3 tunes [3/4ths of the album] that are as Elvish as almost anything I have ever heard. As are a few things on the Windham Hill Label.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #19
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Lindil: Interesting idea for a fan-fiction. I'm eager to find out what the 32 aphorisms are (maybe I can apply them to my own writing!). Just don't let it distract you from the Translations from the Elvish project!

Interesting also about Jon Anderson. Somehow I just wouldn't associate his voice with Elvish singing, though there is a moment in the middle of 'Roundabout' (from Fragile) where his voice comes in softly over the organ, sounding rather Elvish. I unfortunately have never heard Going for the One.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:00 PM   #20
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Something I don't see mentioned here is the presence of singing in Irish and Welsh legend, as in the tales of Taliesin, the greatest bard. It was told that he gained his knowlege thru the caldron of Cerridwen, from which he was given (or stole) 3 drops of an enchanted elixir. From this he learned "The Song of Making" which was the tale of how the world was made, containing the true names of all the creatures and plants of the Earth. When Taliesin sang it he mesmerized Kings and beggars alike, placing visions before their eyes and sending them into dreams. It is said that one who know a person's "true" name (from the song/spell of making) has power over that person. More than once, Tolkien mentioned this, in the case of Smaug the Dragon, Smaug scolds Bilbo for giving his true name. In the Silm, the world is made through music, conjuring the "Song of Making" once again. I also point to Felagund's singing against the power of Sauron, as well as Luthien's powerful gate-busting melody! Sam's singing for Frodo echoes both stories.
Music is indeed a key to unlocking the power of the heart.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 AM   #21
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Busted !! and within 24 hrs! well, I can only say Aiwendil, I will try not to let it distract me too much. Ihave actually been gestating this idea for nearly a year now, and it want's to come out.

The first 10 aphorisms are up and a wholly unsatisfactory version of the begining of the story can all be found at Osanwe see link below [ weekly articles].

The 22 aphorisms of Daeron will be trickier.

I will be happy to take any and all criticism,and now that I think on it [ and anyone who looks at my first section is bound to agree] what i need is a writing partner, and I have just the person in mind. As my fellow Revised Silm workers have probably figured out I am more of an idea's and outline person than a brass tacker. But we [try and] do what we must!

back to singing...

In the "etymological notes to the Osanwe Kenta" Vinyar Tengwar #41 [ published 2 issues after the Osanwe-Kenta itself] I came across the phrase 'sanwe-menta' to describe a thought sending. I have prefaced it w/ "lin" to denote a musical thought sending, thus linsanwe-kenta would denote a thought sending through singing. If any one can improve upon my elvish...

Tirned Tinnu _ I will have to look into this Taliesin iz. Any recommended works?

W/in the Legendarium we have Queen Arwen singing a song of Valinor before the white Tree in the courtyard of the Citadel.

Also that recently mentioned 'Bilbo's Last song' a small book, nicely illustrated by Pauline baynes, showing Bilbo's [ and the High-Elves] last journey through the Shire to the Grey Havens. Boy, I sure hope PJ doesn't botch that one, it is a deeply touching scene.

Atthe end of time [or just before] in the Book of Revelations we are told that all of the Elect will sing a new song and be given a new name upon a white stone. There is quite a bit more about song in Heaven in that book.

I am always amazed how the Church [wether through the Liturgy, Divine Services or the Bible brings myth to reality. Or as I think JRRT has said Myth finds it's ultimate expression and realization through God's Revelation. Tolkien of course with the benefit of massively wide and deep learning, immense creativity and sensitivity was able to craft a new myth that still find's it's Fulfillment in Christ.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:44 AM   #22
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, here is link to a translation of the welsh legends, however, it is better to read them in their original form,(Welsh Prose) though it is a hard read! This is easier.
I know that Tolkien did not forsake these works, although many have argued that these were tainted by the time they were translated. Look for the link to Taliesin on the right near the bottom. Welsh Legends site

Another earlier version of the tale, more often compared to Irish folk tales:
Taliesin and Cerridwen

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 10-02-2002, 05:53 AM   #23
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! If pj cuts out sam's song ill murder him!!........With a frying pan!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 08:20 AM   #24
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It's not by chance that Christians sing their praises to their Lord and Creator.

Thank you, Tirned Tinnu, for the link to the tales from the Mabinogi. As an English hobbit with Viking ancestry, I've always though of the Welsh tales as as much a part of my heritage as the Norse Sagas or the story of Beowolf.

Selmo.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:03 PM   #25
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

I have always seen Elven singing- and other's- as orenda. It's a foreign word that roughly translates to "singing magic". As powerful as prayer, but more ambigous- not so central to any particular deity or power.

Which, I think, is a bit shown in LotR. After all, the singing may be to one or several of the Valar- but unless you know the Sil. and such, this isn't really appearent. More like a plea for help, or a cry of joy to Everything than one source. (There are, of course, perhaps a few contradictions, but like I said, it's fairly deep.)

Just my "two wafers of lembas." [Someone mentioned that, though I do not know who, and I just thought it was great. Kudos to them!]
Old 10-03-2002, 07:34 AM   #26
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Yesss! Anna! Thank you! orenda - even the word has its own beauty. I knew there was something missing in my own faerie tale. Not for long.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote