The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2002, 04:57 AM   #1
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting Beyond The Ages

What we know of the Forth Age is very slim. Did Tolkien set out to say that the declining of the "sppeaking peoples" (save Men) was how we came about. In other words are we the men from Middle-earth?

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:55 PM   #2
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dūm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That’s debatable. He often stated this, but I think he may have decided it was more of a parallel universe type thing. As always what I am saying is just what I assume feel free to challenge.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Matthew2754
Pile O'Bones

Matthew2754 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I dont know about the parallel universe thing because of the similarities between it and our world. The Man in the moon song. Only some of it is now recited and its just a nursery rhyme. But its still evolved literature from their time to ours. ME is now our world. Also, when describing Hobbits, he said they can disappear when big stupid folk like US come blundering along. I think Tolkien's world is our world long ago
Matthew2754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:36 PM   #4
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dūm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope your not talking literally [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] When he wrote the hobbit it was not set in Middle Earth, or not intentionally, just set in a mythical world/time/area/thing. The Middle Earthiness just crept in because he was an obsessive person, and there was a lot of ME just floating around in his head.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Often quoted, but apparently not nearly often enough:

"I doubt if there would have been much gain; and I hope the, evidently long but undefined, gap* in time between the Fall of Barad-dūr and our Days is sufficient for 'literary credibility', even for readers acquainted with what is known or surmised of 'pre-history'.

----

* I imagine the gap to be about 6000 years : that is we are now at the end of the Fifth Age, if the Ages were of about the same length as S.A. and T.A. But they have, I think, quickened; and I imagine we are actually at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh." (Letter 211)
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It is my understanding that Tolkien's original intent was to invent a mythology for England. I would assume that his myth extended to an unstated presumption that England's inhabitants descendants of those men of Middle Earth.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:47 PM   #7
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

For your further consideration:

Quote:
Letter 165

'Middle-earth', by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world we live in (like the Mercury of Eddison).4 It is just a use of Middle English middel-erde (or erthe), altered from Old English Middangeard: the name for the inhabited lands of Men 'between the seas'. And though I have not attempted to relate the shape of the mountains and land-masses to what geologists may say or surmise about the nearer past, imaginatively this 'history' is supposed to take place in a period of the actual Old World of this planet.
and

Quote:
Letter 183 (notes to W.H.Auden upon his critique of LoTR)

I am historically minded. Middle-earth is not an imaginary world. The name is the modern form (appearing in the 13th century and still in use) of midden-erd > middel-erd, an ancient name for the oikoumenē, the abiding place of Men, the objectively real world, in use specifically opposed to imaginary worlds (as Fairyland) or unseen worlds (as Heaven or Hell). The theatre of my tale is this earth, the one in which we now live, but the historical period is imaginary. The essentials of that abiding place are all there (at any rate for inhabitants of N.W. Europe), so naturally it feels familiar, even if a little glorified by the enchantment of distance in time.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #8
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If...any of you are saying or Tolkien was stating that our world is middle-earth in it's later days and such, what about the End of Times? What about Aman?

Just wondering!

Aylwen
Old 11-03-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Aman was removed from this world and put beyond our reach and our perception. So as far as we are concerned it is gone.

As for The End, the mythology has its own version of it.