The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
John of the Race of Men

Sting Alternate ending to LotR...

Ive seen the move twice now and Im something of an expert on LotR at work so everyone at works keep asking me questions like: is Gandalf really dead or what happens at the end? Like you couldnt guess its going to have a happy ending?<P>So today while I was out splitting wood I started thinking about what to tell them so as not to ruin the movie. How about this:<P>Gandalf is dead...<BR>Everyone else dies in the big war...<BR>Frodo loses the Ring and Sauron get it...<BR>People alive today are actually descendents <BR>of evil men and orcs from ME...<BR>Notice how Saruman is the high tech guy? Hes the reason our society is obsessed with technology today...<P>Then when their mouths drop open you can say that LotR is "very famous for its social commentary and didnt you know?"<P>
Old 01-05-2002, 02:35 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Try adding to that "And Princess Diana was the descendant of Arwen and Aragorn!" <BR>"And Mini-Me is the true heir of Gimli!"
Old 01-05-2002, 02:38 PM   #3
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

that could be fun.. ^_^ or what about this:<P>"Gandalf is alive.." *everybody seems happy* "..he comes back and joins Saruman" *everybody faints*<P>or something like that.. cruel, I know but fun..
Old 01-06-2002, 02:59 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Just tell them to read the books or just wait and see, if you tell them some big fabricated fib, they may not be your friends next year.<p>[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:30 PM   #5
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

it's hard not to tell them anything. very hard. especially when there are people who dont want to read the books until they saw all three movies first (don't ask me why, there are some odd people about this world).<P>well, he technically does not come back as Gandalf the Grey, he has a new name and different clothes and has changed quite a bit.<P>so one could play with that...
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Go ahead and tell them Gandalf's dead. Also say that Frodo dies. That way when we get to the Shelob part in the movie next year they'll be in for a big suprise. That's a good idea. I'm gonna tell my friends that!!
Old 01-06-2002, 10:33 PM   #7
FilmHobbit

Sting

Ack, for me it's hard to keep my mouth shut and NOT tell people what happens. Love the books and the movie so much, I just like to freakin talk about it. Now all the sudden everyone is interested in what I've been interested in all along and I finally have people to talk to it about. Hard not to spoil the entire thing for them, especially when they ask.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:11 PM   #8
Gayahithwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Hhhhmmm.. what about 'Frodo dies and Gollum runs off with the ring'?<BR>or perhaps 'you know, Aragorn abandons arwen for a pretty human girl named Eowyn'?<P>hhhmmm.. any other suggestions?<P>(bringing this topic back up on top from page 20 where it has been burried for a while)
Old 11-01-2002, 10:08 PM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Going along with what Gayahithwen said, "And Arwen hooks up with Boromir's brother, Faramir." And/or "Pippin, tired of being thought of as the clumsy hobbit-fool, kills several orcs, but accidently kills Merry, too." Yikes. I'm glad that didn't <I>really</I> happen. Anyone who actually uses these, be sure to post their reactions.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #10
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Heh...I told some girl that Frodo gets eaten by a spider, and she started crying.<P>Eru, I love this job.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:16 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Evil, evil, evil! I wish I knew people I could do that to....
Old 11-02-2002, 04:20 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My alternate ending would be that Frodo throws the ring into the fire without Golumms help, then Golumm is free at last. They all go to Minas Tirith for Aragorn's wedding. Then they all go there separate ways. The elves all stay in ME for a couple more years and then slowly leave. Arwen and Elrond's last meeting was full of love. Gandalf and Saruman and Radagast all leave with the last ship along with Legolas and Gimli and Elrond. Frodo and Bilbo stay in the shire until the end of their days. The end
Old 11-03-2002, 02:47 PM   #13
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I already "let slip" to two of my roommates that Frodo dies at the end of TTT. One read far enough that she knows what the actual outcome is. The other...well, I think she's caught on from hearing the other three of us talk that there's more to it than that, but she's still working through reading FOTR, so she doesn't know <I>what.</I> But that's okay, because she read the back of a version of TTT that had a major spoiler in its summary and let slip that Gandalf wasn't dead before I either read the books or saw the movie. So I guess that makes us even.<P>If I remember the look on her face correctly, though, she was really freaked out that Frodo was pushing up daisies just over halfway through the trilogy. It was highly amusing...until my one roommate who knew better accused me of doing it deliberately. Now, granted, I <I>did</I>, but that's hardly the point!
Old 11-11-2002, 02:55 PM   #14
Gayahithwen
Wight

Sting

Ok, my little brother was pestering me, so I had to do something evil against him.. Since he often asks me about what'll happen in the next movie, and is to lazy to read the books, I told him following:<BR>1. Aragorn and Eowyn falls in love and Aragorn completely forgets about Arwen.<BR>2. When Arwen realises that Aragorn has abandoned her, she ends up with Boromirs brother Faramir.<BR>3. Merry gets mortally wounded in a battle, and Pippin gets scared and run away.<BR>4. Saruman wins the battle against the ents, with all his hidden machinery and lava things.<BR>5. Frodo gets killed by a spider.<BR>6. Gollum is purely evil, without any good traits at all, and he kills Sam.<BR>7. Gandalf is changed after coming back (as the white) and begins to act violently. (and my brother from this derived the idea that Gandalf becomes evil. heh!)<P>You should have seen his face! :