The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
Ugluk

Pipe Oscars

Lotr is up for 11 oscars (or is it 13). anyway, anyone got any ideas on how the film will do?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

13 it is. I certainly hope they take every one of them. I really hope Ian McKellan wins. He deserves it for his way of portraying Gandalf. And of course Enya, for her song "May It Be", which she's also going to perform live.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
starbreeze

Silmaril

It should get all of the ones it was nominated for - it deserves everyone of them, and more - but then I would say that wouldn't I...?!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I sure hope it wins them all but if they do i'm gonna have no voice on monday morning as I am gonna scream the house down every timne it wins one

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I am gonna scream the house down every timne it wins one <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Count me in on that one. Maybe we end up hearing each other!?!?
Old 03-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ummm...Ian McKellan might take home a statue and it might win for Best Cinematography or whatever but I don't think it will win Best Picture or any of those other big ones.Why?Because it's a fantasy movie(people have lots of bias against fantasy and often shun it in favor of more...cultured films.) and it's up against movies like A Beautiful Mind and In The Bedroom(hated that movie ). Judges consider these movies to be more...artistic and thoughtful, and unfortunately, although FOTR deserves to win every single nomination, the sad truth is it may not win anything at all. Anyway, that's my two cents, and I couldn't care less what judges think of it, I KNOW it's a great movie.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:24 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, got to go for the realism, like "Gladiator" or "Moulin Rouge".
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:15 PM   #8
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think LotR should win a lot of awards, especially Best Picture, but most of the critics I've read or heard seem to think that "A Beautiful Mind" will win. I don't know why, but the writers for the movie section in the <I>Dallas Morning News</I> (my local newspaper) seem really biased against LotR. They also gave it a "B+" rating when nearly every other source I've seen has given it at least an "A"...kind of annoys me.<p>[ March 22, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 03-22-2002, 08:50 PM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's very strange, but I've gone out of my way to read every <I>negative</I> review of the FotR I could find. Across the board I've found that there is a certain group of people who routinely give it a bad rating. They are almost always: women. And: reference some past bias against the books. Their issue is with the "sort of person who read Tolkien" - in their experience - not the movie. They just hate Tolkien. Period. One woman called it "still a story for 13-year old boys" petulance showing, and I could see the former 13-year-old girl stamping her feet at those obnoxious 'D&D nerds'. Another said "it became popular in the '60s, in a cloud of ganga smoke" and the aging smug former-hippie looking back, and down, on the things he wasn't involved in thank goodness, was quite apparent.<P>I'm off-topic, aren't I?<P>A Beautiful Mind will take best picture, because it's Ron Howard, and because the LotR is 1/3 of a movie, not a whole movie, and they'll be thinking there are two more movies to go. But it will sweep all the costume and cinematography awards. Ian McKellen won't get best supporting actor I don't think, there have been a lot of good performances this year.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:21 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i doubt the movie will do well - it's not the sort that appeals to the hearts and minds of the academy. in my thinking, though, it deserves every one of them!!!!!
Old 03-23-2002, 03:12 AM   #11
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

For some reason, the judges just LOVE those "authentic-real-life-I'm-being-mental-or-having-a-disease" movies. No care if the oh so true story has been rewritten to the point, where you barely recognize it. As it is with "A Beautiful Mind". See the movie and then think of the REAL story and it's like: "Uhm sorry, but why should we tell it the way it was? Who wants to know that the wife actually filed for divorce, and got it? And so on and on and on and.....<BR>OK, I'm getting quite off topic here. I just hate this concept with "reality" movies always getting the Oscar, no matter how bad it is. <BR>I really think FOTR deserves to win in all of the 13 categories it's been nominated.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:47 AM   #12
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I really hope FOTR wins them all!! I'm beginning to dislike all those realistic sappy movies. Things like "A Walk to Remember" at one point in my life would have made me jump for joy to go see. Now, if it's not action/adventure/horror/comedy I do not want to see it. Though I usually end up getting dragged to see them anyways. But movies like A Beautiful Mind just look sooo BORING!!<BR>But back to the topic, when it comes to costume and special effects, FOTR will definately win, no question about it. Ian McKellen actually has a pretty good chance in my mind for Best Supporting Actor. And if FOTR does NOT win Best Movie, you know something will be breaking in my house. Let's just hope it's not anything like the TV. *note to self: stay away from TV when in violent rage*
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:58 AM   #13
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

I'm sorry to say this, but then I'm truly afraid something's going to break in your house, Thinhyandoiel. Honestly, I really believe (no matter how much I hate to say this) that "A Beautiful Mind" is going away with that. First, it's reality (well, basically), second, it's Russel Crowe. Now I really don't know why, but Hollywood seems to love that guy. <BR>But know that if this is what happens, then I will be with you in my thoughts, screaming my lungs out. And possibly hitting on something.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:21 AM   #14
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Sting

*pouts* I really want them to win that one though, yet I see your point. Russell Crowe has been like a Hollywood fave ever since Gladiator. Before then I never heard about him, and then it's all Russell Crowe this, and Russell Crowe that. I'm really starting to think I should go see A Beautiful Mind, just to see what all the fuss is all about. Have to wait until payday though. Argh.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:52 AM   #15
Merrique

Tolkien

I guess it will sweep most of the technical categories, even if you intensely dislike fantasy, you have to admire the organization of it... but then, they might choose to spread those awards over the next two movies (I am sure this will be considered, however wrong it seems)<P>Beautiful Mind is a good movie, come on, guys, although I love FoTR so infinitely more, but I wonder how it is possible to compare two things so different... I certainly can't. Perhaps that is the difficulty this year. The movies in running are so different in what they offer to a spectator.<P>I guess in reality FoTR will get 5-6, and mostly technical categories, although I would also like it to be more, but the others also don't deserve to do that bad...
Old 03-23-2002, 05:16 AM   #16
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Eye

Yeah, I guess I can't be all judgmental until I've seen the rest of the nominee movies. Though *so far* I do feel that nothing can compare to it. Though, I did just watch Resident Evil and it could actually rival FOTR for special effects, if it was released in time for the oscars that is. Was it released in time?? *shrugs* i don't know. but I loved that movie too. Just made me want to pick up the game again. Which I did! And LOTR? Made me want to read the book again! In my opinion, if a movie makes you want TO DO something, it's a damn good movie. Like the Matrix, sure it's all actiony and all, but did anyone notice the parallelism between it and the bible? I just went right to the Good Book and read a few pages after I watched that movie. Same with LOTR. Also made me want to become an archer, and live in the woods so I can become so agile that I can balance on chains and shoot trolls. ^.^ Or at least learn how to hold a sword! All the actors did so well and committed themselves wholly to the making of these masterpieces!
Old 03-23-2002, 07:09 AM   #17
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't see how critics can whinge about the lack of strong female roles in the movie when PJ shoved arwen into protecting Frodo and Galadriel did that whole mega pwerful/scary/green thing and Gladiator phff don't even get me started for one thing you couldn't hear a word the actors were saying, there was little or no plot, and absolutely not a strong female charicter anywhere to be seen. If that could win anything LOTR should take home every single oscar nomination although I doubt it with all these twisted "real life" films about like Iris and A Beutiful Mind. *sigh* PJ's ikkle baby'snot gonna get what she deserves and thats very sad I'll prolly lose my voice anyway though from yelling obcenities at the TV

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:25 PM   #18
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A Beautiful Mind will most likely win the best picture category, though I've heard complaints that it's highly overrated and just "okay." I haven't seen it so I can't judge. I agree that Hollywood seems to love Crowe. Gladiator was a good movie, and I liked it a lot. As for no female characters in Gladiator, you have to give credit to Commodus's sister (can't remember her name) to being strong...okay, I don't want to get this off topic. Anyway, A Beautiful Mind will most likely get the award, seeing how LOTR is a little discriminated because of its genre and the fact that it has two more years to go.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:33 PM   #19
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Well, there will definitely be lots of obscene yelling at the TV at my house (am preparing my vocal chords), because we'll be ducking snowballs in hell when FotR wins Best Picture. Sad, I know. Maybe I'm just trying not to get my hopes up.<BR>Besides that, I doubt that good Sir Ian will win. Why? Because he's playing a <I>wizard in a pointy hat</I>, and you know how those Academy voters tend to bristle at anything that shows it has the slightest bit of unusual imagination behind it, brilliant acting or no brilliant acting. Ugh.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:57 PM   #20
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Seems like it should get more than it will, but I think it's biggest areas would be in cinematography, best supporting actor, etc. Let's face it, the film was literally beautiful. But I agree that there seem to be a certain faction of people (although this woman isn't one of them!!) who didn't like it before they saw it. A Beautiful Mind I think is what will give it the stiffest competetion.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:49 AM   #21
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I have been stocking up on Oscar's mags and watching E all week, and here's what people say...<BR>Most votes have gone to A Beautiful Mind for best pic - but there are still sceptics - I think that the award could go to almost any movie nominated - I would rather any movie BUT abm win, surprises are nice!<BR>Ian McKellen should have his in the bag according to most.<BR>Entertainment Weekly guesses that Peter Jackson will win<BR>Most everyone predicts that LOTR will get all of the tech awards except for the Costuming (which will probably go to Moulin Rouge)<P>All I know is that I am rooting on LOTR all the way, I even have my new Arwen necklace to wear for the occasion. I am having an Oscar's party tonight!<BR>Well, I am nsure I'll see ya'll on a new topic after tonight!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:35 PM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Anyone else making a special oscar dinner in honor of the FOTR?<P>Hobbit Wild mushroom Stew with herbed Dumplings<P>broccoli trees(galadadh) with 'the fires of moria' fiery sweet and sour dressing<P>lembas made from puff pastry dough and sprinkled with honey and chopped hazel nuts<P>Bag End apple pie with ice cream<P>& perhaps a dark, stout dwarven beer to quaff when the oscars are presented!!
Old 03-24-2002, 01:43 PM   #23
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

Wow, that sounds really yummy. I'm starting to get hungry, so please save some for me, OK? <BR>There´s definetely going to be a new thread tomorrow. Either a lot of people will be enraged (which i honestly believe and fear) or else, there will be partying all over the Barrowdowns.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:24 PM   #24
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I'm thinking it will get an armload of the technical awards but get shafted for the big ones (best picture, supporting actor). This is mostly because the Academy seems to like the socially-relevant "One woman/man's struggle against society" sort of movies at Oscar time; it shows what intellectual hotshots they are, I suppose. (And "one hobbit's struggle against Sauron the Maia" probably isn't the way they're thinking of it). I hope I'm wrong, though, and can be exulting shamelessly tomorrow . This is one of the times when I sort of wish I had a TV - now I'll just be hitting Refresh 1,000 times on the net tonight to see how much LOTR has gotten so far.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #25
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well, here's hoping that we'll be celebrating tonight instead of griping
Old 03-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #26
Nuinlambe

Sting

'ABEAUTIFUL MIND' THIS, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND' THAT! IT CAN'T BE THAT GREAT! Let alone greater than LotR. Fantasy movies make movies great! If it weren't for 'A FREAKING BEAUTIFUL MIND' LotR would have 'em all! Not ALL. But you know! LotR deserves them! I REALLY hope Ian wins that award! He really deserves it! I mean REALLY deserves that award! He's a great actor and portrays (or whatevers) Gandalf so completly well!!! 'A beautiful mind' better not win as many as they are up for!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:40 PM   #27
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

3 Oscars well done PJ and team. <P>
Old 03-24-2002, 10:54 PM   #28
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So far, this is what we have:<P>LOTR:FOTR Picks Up Best Original Score<BR>LOTR:FOTR Picks Up Best Visual <BR>LOTR:FOTR Picks Up Best Cinematography<BR>LOTR:FOTR Picks Up Best Make Up

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:14 PM   #29
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

and the Winners are <BR>1)Makeup (Peter Owen and Richard Taylor)<BR>2)Music score (Howard Shore)<BR>3)Cinematography (Andrew Lesnie)<BR>4)Visual effects (Jim Rygiel, Randell William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson)
Old 03-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #30
Elanor Proudfoot

Sting

4 OSCARS!!!<BR>Just four oscars! I mean of course it's well done, but I hope that it would have get more than four.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:13 AM   #31
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Tolkien

Ian Mekellan should have won best supporting actor! I was so mad about that! I think they are saving the Best Picture award for ROTK! Did anyone notice that Enya seemed rushed and her voice sounded like she had a could? I felt bad for her.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:16 AM   #32
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

Re, the Oscars. No, I am not pleased, but I have to say I'm also not surprised. I think the cruelest blow was to deny the supporting actor to Ian. Moreover, I truly fail to see that a Beautiful Mind was so superior to merit both Best Director and Best Picture. If Rings couldn't win, I'd rather see some of that honor go to Moulin Rouge or any one of the others. I truly believe Hollywood has a real hang-up about taking a fantasy movie seriously. The many little humorous, but also somewhat snide remarks, regarding Middle-Earth were not appreciated by this fan. Let's hope that, by the time the third film comes out, Hollywood and the Oscars will do something to rectify their error.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:20 AM   #33
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Grrr, I say. Grrrr.<P>OTOH think of it this way; two years from now ROTK will be (hopefully) reaping the rewards of FOTR and TTT's popularity and general excellence, and "A Beautiful Mind" will be gathering dust in the 5-day rental section. Fell for the "famous actor playing victim" thing again, they did. How unoriginal. <P>OK, enough spleen for now. I'm not shocked or anything but I had been crossing my fingers that maybe, maybe...oh well.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:51 AM   #34
Merrique

Tolkien

Guys, does anyone else have a feeling that Academy is paying off old debts (e.g. Densel Washington)?<P>Costume to Moulin Rouge is a trade-off too.<P>I did see Beautiful Mind and it is a good movie, BUT NOT THAT GOOD! And my opinion is that Russel Crowe made it come alive on screen, and now see what happens!<P>And adapted scrypt? PLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE! Those Academy members should take three Tolkien books, and make them into a scrypt while millions of fanatical fans are looking over their shoulder!<P>Ah, there's no justice in this world...
Old 03-25-2002, 12:53 AM   #35
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I am generally pleased with the Oscars. LOTR got four awards which were well deserved - especially Howard Shore, rock on! I, too, am disappointed that Ian McKellen did not win, but the award went to Jim Broadbent (who is a wonderful actor).<BR>I was not surprised about all of the A Beautful Mind award, those were preficted by many. But dont fear because LOTR still has two more shots in the next two years. Ian McKellen is bound to get an Oscar some day (whether for LOTR or not) because he is a marvelous actor.<BR>I must say, though, that my fav two moments were when Halle Berry and Denzel Washington won (I was just pleased to not see the award go to Russell Crowe)!!!!<BR>Well, I know there is a lot of disappoinmemt, but I am sure we will be discussing wins and loses again next year.<BR>This year was tough because everything that was nominated deserved an award - had it been another year I am sure that LOTR would have walked away with more.<BR>On another note... did Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, and Sean Astin look so cute all dressed up!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:54 AM   #36
Mayla Took
Wight

The Eye

I believe that the Oscars are all just political. Some things were given to thoughs who did not deserve them, but others were well deserved! I think that LOTR will get what it deserves in 2003 with the comming of ROTK! ha ha

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 03-25-2002, 12:57 AM   #37
Mayla Took
Wight

Sting

Oh, I just thought I would add that I was so annoyed with Hally Berry! I was like "say your thanks, shut up and sit down!" I know I probably sound like a grouch, but, it kinda buggs me when people blab forever! No one really wants to hear it!

Old 03-25-2002, 01:20 AM   #38
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! It´s the end of the world!! <BR>....Sorry for that, I am just very disappointed, angry and sad...
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 AM   #39
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

indeed, it couldn't be less than expected that 'a beautiful mind' would win over lotr:tfotr; the academy normally picks human interest stories over other genres. i thought they would make an exception with lotr, though, considering ALL its weight vs. abm. i mean, abm is a good movie, but it's not that outstanding. another thing, abm's direction is not exceptional; in fact, except for the scene where the nash theory of equilibrium was visualized using the standing babes, i'd say ron howard's work was somewhat regular. peter jackson by far made an outstanding directorial work, what with all the fantastic shots, the seamless transition from the various sub-plots of the story, the visualization of every scene and most importantly, how salient, important and memorable each and every character in that populous plot was made. that's awesome work only a movie vala could do!<P>i agree that the oscars sort of compromised on some of its awards, by allowing some sentimental wins -- denzel for one, and that song! i mean i loved monster's inc., but please! at any rate, we won four awards, and by eru they are all technical awards, they at least couldn't deny that!<P>let's all hope that by rotk, the ampas has overcome it's bias against fantasy films and finally recognize peter jackson's work for what it's truly worth.<P>---------------------------------------------<BR><I>every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse</I>
Old 03-25-2002, 08:35 AM   #40
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here, here! sharon