The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
Vorrothiel
Pile O'Bones

Vorrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Your fav....

PJ has done an amazing job with all the creatures in Middle - Earth.. Which of the creatures in Middle Earth are your favorite??<BR>(The Watcher, the Uruk-Hai, the orcs etc.) Personally I find the Balrog very facinating and just.. I havn't got a word that describes it.. just pretty cool..
Vorrothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
Ironshanks

Sting

The Watcher in the Water, and naturally the Balrog. And probably Shelob when she makes her appearance.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked the Nazgul, they were just soo cool and scary. <BR>Oh, and Gollum. He was sooooooooo cute and everything.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know if we can count him as a 'creature', but I conquer with the Gollum vote. He was...amazing...stunning...and I was just thoroughly impressed with him throughout the whole movie. Within the first 5 minutes he was on screen I had completely accepted him as a character and didn't even think about him being CGd. <P>My creature vote would have to be for the Barlog. I loved the portrayal of the others so much, but <I>wow</I>. The Barlog was perfectly animated and presented. I heartily applaud the people in charge of it's creation and presentation.<P>Laialthriel
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say Treebeard and the other Ents. They were so much like what I imagined them to be that it was like literally seeing my imagination come to life on the big screen. They had what I always imagined Treebeard to sound like down pat too. Very impressive.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say Gollum, because the Balrog was very amazing and all, but it was an easier creature to do using CG. I was very worried about Gollum though, because from the first scenes that I saw in FOTR I was worried that he would not be a believable charater that I could watch for the entire film and believe that he was really there ineracting with Sam and Frodo. He blew me away! there are actual times where he doesn't look CG at all, he is very cool.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Tolkien

Personally, my creature vote goes to the Cave Troll. They did a really good job animating him, dubbing in the walrus noises for his emotions and making him seem more than a mindlessly rampaging barbaric... thing. Yeah. For TTT at least.<P>And I don't know about you guys, but I distinctly remember "the creature Gollum" from the books and the movies. So hands down, Gollum is my absolute fave. HE ROCKED! <BR>Here are my standings:<BR>1) Gollum 2) Cave Troll 3) Balrog 4) Watcher 5) Ents<P>Why are Ents so far down on the list? They lacked the eyes I desperatly wanted to see rendered on the screen, so full of knowledge, history, wisdom, and the long passage of time. Ok that's being really picky and they did do a great job with Treebeard. But the rest of the Ents and their role in TTT just did not happen for me.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you are counting Gollum as a creature, then Gollum wins hands down. Without a doubt the most realistic CG creation every. Just watch the texturing around the mouth. There's even a bit of moisture on the lips and they stick together a bit when he speaks slowly like real lips. This is especially noticable when Frodo calls him Smeagol early in the film and he repeats the name slowly to himself in close up.<P>If Gollum isn't a creature, then my vote would like be for the Balrog, especially the scene where Gandalf falls with him. That was brilliant.<P>H.C.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

All of them (Gollum in particular of course) <B>except</B> those damned stuffed hyena-lemming cross-breeds (Wargs).
Old 01-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL<P>It will be interesting to hear Weta talk about their design for them. I have an old Middle Earth Role Playing module for Isengard and Rohan. On the cover is a warg rider which amounts to an orc on a big wolf (which is guess is what it's supposed to be). It looks ridiculous though.<P>H.C.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:29 PM   #11
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum and the Balrog.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:11 PM   #12
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dūm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I dont really have a favorite, but Gollum was cool, and I will probably like Shelob, I loved her in the book!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #13
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, no one has said the orcs yet! I thought they were well-done and definitely creepy, but still not my fave.<P>I'd have to say the Balrog and the Ents were what I enjoyed the most. I love the Ents anyways, so even though their eyes were definitely lacking, I still thoroughly enjoyed their mere presence.<P>My brother loved the Balrog. It was totally his favorite thing to see. And he really liked Gollum too...with good reason! Gollum was totally well-done and a very believable character.<P>To me, the Wargs looked like some sort of dog that would be really fun to play with. They reminded me of Milo from "The Mask" when he puts the mask on. Don't ask why, but that's the picture I get haha.<P>And of course the Cave Troll was very effective as being a creepy and gross and repulsive...cave troll! In TTT I really liked it when they showed the trolls pushing the gate open. That was totally cool!<P>I don't really know what order I would put them in....probably something like this:<P>1) Ents 2) Balrog 3) Gollum 4) Cave troll 5) Nazgul 6) Wargs 7) Orcs

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:52 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Peter Jackson at Bree is my favourite creature - he's so disgusting! I wish they had an action figure for him - Bree Man, NEW! now with Carrot!<P>What did you mean when you said 'creature', Vorrothiel? I dunno if you could really count the Nazgūl if you're talking about beasties. Saruman's number one orc (not Uruk-Hai), with the face held together by rings was pretty durn scary! But I think the Watcher would have to be my pick of the bunch, very well done, even if a little too obviously CG.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:03 AM   #15
Vorrothiel
Pile O'Bones

Vorrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think I meant every "creature" that was not human , or elves or hobbits, I think.. The Nazgul counts..
Vorrothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:11 AM   #16
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Then <B>definitely, without question</B> the Nazgūl. They make me drool like Grishnįkh. Hate their voices though, especially after learning that they belong to Fran Walsh, scriptbutcherer. In PJs movies the Nazgūl should definitely be seen and not heard.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 AM   #17
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But I think we all wanted to hear the blood-chilling screech of the Nazgul which was so exciting in the book, particularly when it was first heard: when Sam and Frodo were walking through the woods to Farmer Maggot's and they heard it for the first time.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote