The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting FOTR against TTT -- Analysis

I was bored one day, so I decided to try to figure out which movie (FOTR or TTT) was best. Here it is! Let me know what you think.<P><BR>Action:<P>While the Two Towers obviously has <I>MORE</I> of it, the Fellowship of the Ring had its own, decent amount; in its own way. Obviously, the plots of the movies are fairly different, and thus the action was put in two different proportions for each movie. Thus, I would say that the movies "Tie" on action.<P>Romance:<P>Here, FOTR is better. This is strictly my personal opinion, but I believe that in FOTR just the right amount was said to set up the stage for further movies. In TTT, I did not think that many of the scenes (Aragorn's "DREAM") were handled that well, or should even have been in there. <P>Humor:<P>Definently FOTR. I mean, just look at Gimli's lines in FOTR (funny, but having purpose and not just being stupid), compared to the idiot he is made out to be in TTT (falling off of rocks and tumbling down hills, etc.) Also, Legolas's vain attempt to be funny when Aragorn comes back to Helms Deeps (Your late - You look terrible), was... well, not funny.<P>Soundtrack:<P>Here, they tie; as much of TTT's music was derived from FOTR. The soundtrack of both movies was GREAT!!!! <P>Overall Plot:<P>FOTR was better, again. It had just the right amount of "phrases at the beginning that would be said again at the end", and the correct amount of "deeply moving scenes." I liked how it moved from place to place, while spending the right amount of time there before moving away. It mixed far away shots with close-ups to give us more of an idea of the scale of things.<P>In TTT, the plot was still good. However, it was just more of a fighting movie and didn't have the same depth; at least not on he part of Aragorn and Co.<P>Sooooo, what do YOU think? Did I miss anything I should have covered?<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

its a great analysis. Fotr definitely had a better romance. It was much more toned down, bringing it into the sub-plots subtley. <BR>The action was much more hyped up in TTT. Fotr, although only an introduction for most of it, was rather slow and dull. But Fotr did cover a lot of emotion in a very good way. Also, the action in Fotr, although small, was actually a lot more meaningful. I think they went a bit overboard with TTT, trying to impress everyone.<BR>The humour in Fotr was much more subtle. A lot of people have commented on how Gimli was merely the comic relief in TTT. This is very obvious, and degrades his character somewhat. Also, the humour and digs seemed to me to be the basis of the prgression in Legolas and Gimli's friendship. The books made it out to be a serious progression, or so i thought they may have done.<BR>Legolas was rather pointless in TTT, to be blunt. I agree, some of his humour was terrible. It came across as though they were trying desperately to find a use for Legolas, as we all know he didnt achieve that much in the books, anyway. They could have made him to be a subtle background supporter, with a few decent lines, and a couple of scenes involving him more closely, as they did in Fotr.<BR>Yes, the soundtrack was excellent in both films. In TTT, the Rohan theme conveyed the situation terribly well, picking up on the way the country is falling apart and using the music to back it up. I hope they do as well when it comes to Gondor in Rotk.<P>You missed a subject <BR>Arwen. She deserves a place of her own after all the discussions on her expanded role.<BR>Although she shouldn't really have been so involved in Fotr, now I've seen TTT i realise that she was actually very good in Fotr. She was put across in as normal and subtle a role as say, Elrond or Haldir, not being overused or emphasised. In TTT, the use of Arwen, although well done at some points and adding to the plot, was a little over ridiculed in some places (and as much as i liked the dream scene, i will admit it was a tad pathetic and time wasting). Perhaps if they had left out the dream (which to me seemed actually to be more of an excuse to show off Liv Tyler's chest- focusing on the Evenstar my a**) the Arwen plot would have been more tolerable and well conveyed.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Thank you for the compliment! I agree completely on the "arwen" thing; TTT definitely degraded her character, and made her just kinda a "hang around" for Aragorn. Sure, she had more scenes in TTT, but they had much less depth then in FOTR.<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Two Towers was altogether messier. I think Fellowship was always going to be a better film.<P>Some of the decisions in TTT were quite strange (Aragorn's dream, I'm talking to you!) but Fellowship was damn near perfect.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Language here!<P>I definitly think that FotR was much better. Just completely was better. Nice Himaran.<P>~Burzdol~
Old 04-07-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Well, to be truthful, I have a number of vast opinions. <P>You see, FotR was definately very good. It had just the right amount of frightening events, and just the right amount of nice ones. <P>TTT was also very good, having a very different feel from the first movie. I think, that since TTT was the middle, it was not very very good, nor was it anywhere near to bad. <P>The reason why not many people like TTT, is probably because the book itself is mostly in war. I just finished reading it, and I know that the movie was very different. I think that if they didn't change what they did, it would have turned out to be a very bad movie.<P>TTT was not really supposed to be perfect. I mean, PJ probably tried to make it as good as he could, but face it. You can't make an okay book turn into a brilliant movie. I mean, you can, but I just think that if you decided to change that much of the book's story to make a perfect movie, it wouldn't be LOTR anymore. <P>The second book, truthfully, was not my favorite. I'm at the beginning of the third book currently, and it already seems very exciting - my kind of book! I hope they don't try to twist the storyline of the book for the RotK, because if they don't it will turn out to be a great movie.<P>Okay, I'll stop my boring talk now.<P>Chao!<BR>-Maya
Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The best review I read of Two Towers began, "It must be hard making a movie that starts in the middle, stays in the middle and ends in the middle."<P>H.C.