The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How will the RotK most likely end?

I was wondering. Do any of you have thoughts or anything about how the RotK will most likely end? Will it be close to the book ending, or do you think Peter will attempt the extra mile and try to close it with something more extreme?<P>This might be a stupid question, but, I was just wondering this.
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam comes home and has a bunch of kids. We'll definitely see Elanor.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Two Words...Grey Havens
Old 04-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It seems every indication is that it will end like the book. PJ says that Grey Havens is his favourite chapter.<P>My advice, bring tissue.<P>In the director's commentary, Fran Walsh talks of how they are going to use Cate Blanchette to book mark the series, so I think we will be hearing her doing more voice overs. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how they are going to do this as she did such a great job with the prologue.<P>I think it will form an effective device to carry us from the wedding/coronation to the movie's conclusion. I can see a sort of epilogue where Cate is talking us through the fates of each of the Fellowship. Legolas and Gimli, Merry and Pippin, Aragorn and Arwen and then back tracking to Frodo and his life without the Ring in the Shire. Then, I hope, the whole Grey Havens scene will be allowed to just play out. I can see it being very powerful.<P>H.C.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

We'll see Elanor and Rose before the Grey Havens I'm sure. I don't think that Frodo will just decide on his way home from Gondor to hop on a boat!<P>It will be very sad I'm sure. Sad in a good way, of course.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Same as Fotr. Galadriel does a voiceover explaining Aragorn's death, then Arwen' death.<P>I would prefer it if they ended with Sam coming through his front door and saying "well, I'm back" then phoot. Black screen, credits. end. a right royal homage to the books.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes. I imagined it something like this. After the Grey Havens scene, it has a brief shot of Sam walking back through the Shire.<P>(The door creaks open. Only a few candles are lit and Rose is preparing the dinner table.)<P>(He sits down on a nice chair in front of fire. Rosie plops down on his lap.)<P>Sam: Well, I'm back.<P>(Sam pulls out a small red book, a quill and a small jar of ink and begins writing.)<P>(Black out as the beautiful music begins playing.)<P>Then, right before the credits start rolling:<P>In memory of the beloved creator of The Lord of the Rings: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien...<P>(That is my thought of who it ends, but I am sure Jackson will blow us away with a more dramatic ending.)<P>I AM SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think we'll see Sam return to the Shire from the Havens. There's a picture somewhere of Eleanor (Sean Astin's actual daughter) hugging him in front of (I think) Bag End.<P>-Lily
Old 04-12-2003, 09:49 PM   #9
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe they're going to end it with Sam saying "Well I'm back." and then maybe after that show a shot of Frodo crying as he sails to Valinor. After that we go back to Sam as he opens his books and starts writing and we got several shots of past moments and he writes them down with his overvoice and the lighting fades away as he countinually writes. Then, the credits roll, with a giant tribute to Tolkein.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I heard somewhere, I can't remember where, that they're going to end it with a shot of the Grey Havens. I hope it does the voiceover thing, and the "in memory of" as well. Man, I'm going to be <I>swimming</I> out of the theatre! "No, Mom, it's ok! I don't need a ridehome. I'll just swim."
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You guys are all wrong of course. She what’s going to happen is this.<P>Arwen come from Rivendell, rides up to the Black Gate and challenges Sauron to single combat. After a long and drawn out fight scene, in slow motion mind you, Arwen defeats Sauron. Although she has won her wounds are grievous, and she dies in Aragons arms. You then see Glorfindel reclaim his horse. After that you get the Galadriel voice over.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Man! and I was hoping for a Arwen-Eowyn mud wrestle for the affections of Aragorn to end this. Loser gets Faramir. <P>H.C.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #13
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I'd rather see Aragorn and Faramir wrestle and the loser gets Arwen. Or, if you're really twisted, Gimli. <P>-Lily<p>[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]
Old 04-16-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

No! Different ending:<P>{Glorfindel and Arwen are sitting at a table arm wrestling}<P>Glorfindel: Come on, you know I can beat you. Just give up.<P>Arwen: Never. If I can knock you off your horse I'm sure as Mordor I can beat you at a wussy's game.<P>Glorfindel: You wish.<P>Galadriel{voiceover}: And for six and a half years they remained like this, until they declared it a tie. Then they began an eye-staring contest, a thumb wrestling wars, a yo-yo trick competion, who can scream the longest, who can stand on one foot the longest, until finally the death of Arwen. This happened because she eventually agreed to give up her immortality for Arargorn. However they asked her after the who can stand the smell of nail polish remover contest and she was kind of high. It was in this moment that all hope was lost when Glorfindel relized it really was.<P>Glorfindel: Hey, where is everybody? This place is so dusty. {achoo, achoo} my allergies are acting up. {runs to find allergen medicine}<P>{fades to black}.<P>In memory of the oringinal hobbit J.R.R Tolkien, now rolling over in his grave.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:35 AM   #15
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1048011185,92840," TARGET=_blank>The Ending to Return of the King</A>

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 02:00 PM   #16
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<B>ArialI Hope they end the movie like they end the book. It leaves more to the imagination. (although it may not be as well recieved as a happier ending)</B>