The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #1
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Shield Samwise and Joe

Qouth the Raven<BR>Did Samwise smoke in the movie? I didn't see him do it, and in the book he did...didn't he???<BR>Nevermore<p>[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: dunadan_aragorn ]
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can kind of see it in my head, but just because it's in my head doesn't mean it was actually in the film. But then agin, it is quite vivid. I'll have to watch the film now...
Old 05-20-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only smoke he inhaled was the smoke from his campfire.<BR>Unless he smoked in a scene from the extended version. I remember Frodo smoking, and I'm sure Sam smoked at one point.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Well, the only shots that I can find of Sam smoking a pipe are in the extended DVD, when he and Frodo are on their way out of the Shire, just before they see the Elves. Here's one:<P>
Old 05-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's the one I was thinking of <BR>Only I wish I wasn't... does anyone else collapse in tears when they talk about the elves leaving Middle Earth forever, or am I just over-sensitive?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #6
Lossentilien
Wight

Sting

That's it! I, err...knew I wasn't crazy...<P>And I know exactly what you mean. I can't stand the parts about the elves leaving, it always gets me depressed, and then people give me strange looks. But it's just so sad. I can't read Arwen and Aragorn's story without feeling awful.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think in the theatrical version he was smoking. It was after the field scene when Sam was afraid of taking another step. When Bilbo is doing the voice over Sam and Frodo are tending a fire and that's when Sam smokes. I really think that was in the theatrical verson. I've also think there were some other shots of Sam with a pipe but they wern't movie shots.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The same thought occured to me Rose. He does smoke while tending the fire in the theatrical version. This has got me wondering what other fellowship characters have we not seen smoking. Legolas is the obvious one. Boromir? Merry and Pippin? (if not, I hope we see them smoking at Isengard early in RotK).<P>H.C.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #9
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Quoth the Raven<BR>The elves leaving make me REALLY sad. I can hardly stand it. And I'm jsut wondering, does anyone find it annoying that I have "quoth the raven" in all my posts, because if it does, I will stop.<BR>Nevermore
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #10
Lossentilien
Wight

Sting

Personally, it doesn't annoy me. But why do you write it?<P>Do you think that smoking is as bad for you in ME as it is in real life? If so, the hobbits have very long life spans considering...they seem to smoke a lot. As does Gandalf. Maybe that's why the Elves are immortal. <BR>I am going to bed, as I've just read over all that rubbish I just wrote, and think I need some sleep.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #11
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Boromir? Merry and Pippin? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm pretty sure Boromir was smoking outside the doors of Moria when Gandalf couldn't remember the password, right before they cut to the scene of Aragorn letting Bill go.<P>Merry is smoking inside Moria, once again when they're waiting while Gandalf thinks This is the "He's remembered!" scene.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Perhaps they would have put more smoking in the movie exept that if you watched the commentry part of the extended edition they were afraid people would get angry at them for it.<P>As for Legolas, I have never heard of an elf smoking ever in Tolkien's books. The idea is almost as odd as Gimli in a tutu dress.(I have no idea where that idea came from)
Old 05-20-2003, 05:33 PM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think in the theatrical version he was smoking. It was after the field scene when Sam was afraid of taking another step. When Bilbo is doing the voice over Sam and Frodo are tending a fire and that's when Sam smokes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The same thought occured to me Rose. He does smoke while tending the fire in the theatrical version. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This must be the scene that you are thinking of:<P> <P>I had thought that it was the same scene as the extended DVD one mentioned previously, but it seems to match the one that you are talking about.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This has got me wondering what other fellowship characters have we not seen smoking. Legolas is the obvious one. Boromir? Merry and Pippin? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm pretty sure Boromir was smoking outside the doors of Moria when Gandalf couldn't remember the password, right before they cut to the scene of Aragorn letting Bill go. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I couldn't find one of Boromir, although I am sure that I recall seeing one. Here is Merry smoking his pipe, although it looks like a promotional shot:<P> <P>I agree, HC, that he and Pippin should be enjoying the fruits of the pipeweed cache when Aragorn and co turn up at Isengard in RotK.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Do you think that smoking is as bad for you in ME as it is in real life? If so, the hobbits have very long life spans considering...they seem to smoke a lot. As does Gandalf. Maybe that's why the Elves are immortal. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here is a thread on this point: <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002318" TARGET=_blank>Pipeweed. Good or Bad?</A><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> As for Legolas, I have never heard of an elf smoking ever in Tolkien's books. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, I believe that (in the book) Legolas refers to it as a curious habit when Aragorn and Gimli join Merry and Pippin for a smoke at Isengard. Ironic, really, since Elves are the ones who do not succumb to disease ...