The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Council of Elrond

I was watching Fellowship of the Rings today and I started wondering, who were all the other guys at the Council of Elrond. I know Gloin was there with Gimli but who were all the others?
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only ones that spring to mind are the two dark haired elves beside Elrond, who are either his sons or Glorfindel and Erestor. I've seen a picture of the supposed Erestor, so I'm assuming that he's there.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think the real question is, who are the Men sitting around Boromir? I remember a suggestion that they are from Dale, but I suspect the real reason why they were there was that PJ thought it would be more distracting for the casual reader of the book to have Boromir there by himself while the elves and dwarves and companions.<P>The film really doesn't give a good reason why all these people are there, just Elrond's "this problem belongs to all Middle Earth, they must decide how to deal with it" (or something close to that) and later, "Friends of old, you have been gathered to answer the threat of Mordor" (like all these people were just a hop, skip and a jump away). There was good reason to do this because going into all the reasons everyone is there would be unbearable in the film.<P>Once it's out that these people have been gathered to deal with the Ring (which isn't the true reason, but oh well), you need to add weight to the scene and adding extra bodies is a good way to do that.<P>Certainly don't try and attach names to most of these people.<P>H.C.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That guy next to Boromir is Jeff. And the guy to the left of Jeff is Gregor, I believe. Unfortunately Bernard couldn't make it.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
ArisBoch
Newly Deceased

ArisBoch has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

i know the two elves by elrond are his twin sons, elladan and elrohir.<P>it's also kind of a joke between me and some people that when everyone gets up and starts arguing in the council, the only people that stay seated are elrond's sons and foster son (aragorn) obviously they're the only ones trained in manners in the whole group.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that the two Elves sitting next to Elrond were his sons. They were probably his councillors, or something like that. <BR>Of course, people brought up in a proper Elven household would indeed know their manners. Unlike a certain raggedy man from Gondor! *cough cough* We won't mention any names.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote