The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #41
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Can any of you TS members tell me if booking for Oxonmoot is already underway? The website says it will start in spring, yet there's no further information so far.
I sent an E-mail to the T-S and they said that booking would be open in abut two or three weeks.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #42
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Some people have the latest copy of Amon Hen and inside will be the booking form.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #43
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
Some people have the latest copy of Amon Hen and inside will be the booking form.
We haven't had our copy yet! When did yours arrive?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #44
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Amon Hen delivered by Dr Whom

I was talking to someone who said it had been delivered to a friend or they had seen the letter on the doormat upon breaking and entering someones appartment, I didnt expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition..................
Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #45
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I was talking to someone who said it had been delivered to a friend or they had seen the letter on the doormat upon breaking and entering someones appartment, I didnt expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition..................
.............no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

That's one of those lines you wait years to get in...
Old 06-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #46
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
.............no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

That's one of those lines you wait years to get in...
Yeah, unfortunately over here everybody says "Hvad er det her, den spanske inkvisition" (What is this, the Spanish Inquisition). . . .and you cannot really use the sentence there.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #47
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oxonmoot or Bust

Anyway, after being suprised by fear, or was that fear of suprise, my Amon Hen arrived yesterday, inside is the booking form with which I will break my bank managers heart, saying with ruthless efficiency that I have a fanatical devotion to The Moot.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #48
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

Quote:
Anyway, after being suprised by fear, or was that fear of suprise, my Amon Hen arrived yesterday, inside is the booking form with which I will break my bank managers heart, saying with ruthless efficiency that I have a fanatical devotion to The Moot.
Yes, an anonymous contributor gave the the info on what the financial implications of Onxomoot will be. It seems that I'll need to raise about Ł50 before I reserve my place. This will be difficult or easy depending on how soon the TS allows the online bookings.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #49
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Yes, an anonymous contributor gave the the info on what the financial implications of Onxomoot will be. It seems that I'll need to raise about Ł50 before I reserve my place. This will be difficult or easy depending on how soon the TS allows the online bookings.
Meh.

if you're not too bothered about sharing a toilet with anyone else there's not a huge rush on the accommodation front, though you might end up in Apocalypse Towers (complete with sinister, blood stained curtains) like we did last year cause all the quiet rooms had gone.

narfforc needs his Ł50 just to secure his yards of ale...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #50
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ł50 will do for the first nights quantity of Ork-brew, what worries me is where I will get enough to buy more boooooooks with, last year I spent Ł500 arggggghhhhhhh.

P.S Blood stained curtains, you lucky lucky b......, what I wouldnt give for some blood stained curtains....

Last edited by narfforc; 06-13-2007 at 01:03 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 AM   #51
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

Quote:
Ł50 will do for the first nights quantity of Ork-brew, what worries me is where I will get enough to buy more boooooooks with, last year I spent Ł500 arggggghhhhhhh.

P.S Blood stained curtains, you lucky lucky b......, what I wouldnt give for some blood stained curtains....
I think they must have been left over from Maggie Thatcher's time there when she was doing her blood-letting experiments.

Ł500?! I didn't think you bought that many!

I was dismayed in that dealers' room because we already had everything and could only buy the things we didn't have - apart from the fancy schmancy editions o' course. But the collectables are quite overpriced there I reckon judging by davem's luck at getting right bargains lately - First edition set for less than the price of a brand new deluxe for example. Muahahaa....
Old 06-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #52
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am a lying son of an orc, it was at Aston that I spent Ł500, last Oxonmoot I only spent about Ł200. Did you see the copy of The Hobbit that was going for Ł30,000, it was the rare one with the cover that Tolkien hated, the one that made Bilbo look like Jeeves or Wooster?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #53
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
I am a lying son of an orc, it was at Aston that I spent Ł500, last Oxonmoot I only spent about Ł200. Did you see the copy of The Hobbit that was going for Ł30,000, it was the rare one with the cover that Tolkien hated, the one that made Bilbo look like Jeeves or Wooster?
No, they must have hidden that one away when they saw me coming round with me dirty mitts I was just taken with those India paper copies of HoME that I thought would go nicely with me matching copy of Rings, and then having a coronary at the prices. Did you see the outrageously priced Canadian box set? Battered more than a Harry Ramsden fish supper and retailing at Ł30!

I did however find some loose cheap retro Unwin paperbacks to make up some partial sets I've got around the house.

Did you get that... was it Wainwright?....one about Pagan and Anglo-saxon influences? There's a new Ronald Hutton out now (recently anyway) wth a chapter about Tolkien and Lewis that I have to buy too, specially after that ace lecture he did at Aston.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #54
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm still not convinced I want to stay in hall...but I will probably stay Saturday night - especially if I drive up this time... hten I can go to Bicester village on Sunday morning

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #55
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I'm still not convinced I want to stay in hall...but I will probably stay Saturday night - especially if I drive up this time... hten I can go to Bicester village on Sunday morning

What about Enyalie? Honest - it's not mawkish (I thought it would be a bit) it's actually nice and everyone's relaxed and that - no weeping and whatnot. On the other hand if you stay you have to endure some cheesy bad singing on Saturday night
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #56
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have been to the grave in private and feel no need to return en masse. It still feels intrusive.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #57
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë

On the other hand if you stay you have to endure some cheesy bad singing on Saturday night
Anyone that cannot handle cheesy bad singing should probably stay away from me. . . at least when I am drinking.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:17 AM   #58
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh dear ... I think I may come as a day-girl again...... the rehearsals were bad enough with whatsit wailing along to a Spanish guitar.....with few exceptions, I loathe guitars at the best of times ..and that was not the best of times. THe trouble is that vast numbers of people think they can play the guitar and very few actually can. It is a very instrument specific delusion... if you are a rubbish violinist like I am you keep it to the privacy of your own home.....

Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #59
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Oh dear ... I think I may come as a day-girl again...... the rehearsals were bad enough with whatsit wailing along to a Spanish guitar.....with few exceptions, I loathe guitars at the best of times ..and that was not the best of times. THe trouble is that vast numbers of people think they can play the guitar and very few actually can. It is a very instrument specific delusion... if you are a rubbish violinist like I am you keep it to the privacy of your own home.....
Part of the tradition is to watch sagely as hordes of people decamp from the ents, sweating profusely in wild panic, as 'geetar man' strikes up his songs. It's like a competition to see how fast you can get out of there or to see who can endure it manfully for the longest time. Those who do endure are usually so bevvied up they can barely speak.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #60
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The T-S has just published some more information about this year's Oxonmoot:

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/oxon/2007/Info.html

Still no booking yet, but it looks to be getting closer for us On-line folk. I'll definitely be joining the T-S before next Oxonmoot... probably.
Looks like a nice sandwich lunch is planned for Saturday, which is very English. Just need tea and scones.

I'm assuming most of the 'action' will take place on Saturday. Any Oxon veterans wish to confirm or refute this?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #61
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hmm well having left home extremely early and arrived home late I appreciated having a "proper lunch" but I guess it makes sense for those stayng up. I don't like the sound of this entertainment though... I have a spooky premonition that guitars will be involved....

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #62
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I am still debating with myb self about what to do. . .I won't know when school starts until august, but it will probably be around the time of the Oxonmoot.

I am starting to lean towards booking as soon as I can and then just hope that I actually can go.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #63
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hooky, you are quite right virtually all the action happens on a Saturday (normal Oxonmoot, not extended), however for those who arrive early on Friday there is the welcome dinner that night or the bar where the People of The Quaff-of-Mirthful meet and drink the Ales of Cellarbrewboy. The Sunday consists mainly of the Enyalie, then collecting your gear before treading on The Road.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #64
Hyarion
Pile O'Bones

Hyarion has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think I realized how many events there were in 2007, nice to see a lot of activity. I had a feeling a lot of it would die out after the films, and while some have, the majority seem to be sticking around. I've gone ahead and created a chronological list of all the events (though I'm sure I'm still missing quite a few) at http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/2007 If you see any I missed feel free to add them.
Hyarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #65
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Nice list, Hyarion! There is one more German event in October: The Ring*Con Convention from Oct. 12 - 14 2007. You can find information here: Ring*Con 2007
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #66
Hyarion
Pile O'Bones

Hyarion has just left Hobbiton.
How could I forget Ring*Con? Thanks! Now that 2007 is mostly done I've started working on the other years, as far back as 1892. It will be interesting to see how active Tolkien fandom has been over the years, and what Tolkien himself was doing every year.
Hyarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #67
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

https://ssl121.securednshost.com/~to.../2007/book.php

Oxonmoot online booking is now open, folks!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #68
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for that info, Hookbill! Now that I'm back from the German Society's "Tolkien Thing" (for those who haven't read the background of the second word of the event's title, it's a traditional nomen for a gathering, not an indeterminate object), I can begin planning for the next event.

The TT took place in an old castle turned hostel, very stylish surroundings! After weeks of cold, rainy weather, we had sun and heat enough to make us glad of the nearby ice cream parlour. This year's special guest was the artist Ted Nasmith; he showed us a slide presentation of his Tolkien art, signed books etc. (in my case, a lovely puzzle of his painting of Arwen and Aragorn), and gave a concert, singing his songs which have now been recorded.

Here's a link to the puzzle, which is a limited edition, out of stock elsewhere: Arwen's Choice

There were several lectures (mostly light-hearted, like my own comparing 'Farmer Giles' and 'Shrek'), some workshops (music, dance, and costume-sewing), a play which was presented by several members, and the obligatory business meeting. Much time was spent hanging out in the courtyard, talking with old and new Society friends. All in all, an enjoyable weekend!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #69
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
If you can scrape the pennies together Rune, Oxonmoot's cheap (so long as you keep out of the dealers' room! And, er, the pub...). Plus if you wanted to stay in Oxford a bit longer there's a great guest house - Isis Guest House - near Magdalen and the Botanical Gardens, who do rooms from a very low price (some have shared bathrooms, which are much cheaper), but it's only open July-September because it's a student lodging for St Edmund Hall.
I'm currently in the process of booking for Oxonmoot and have looked back for information on this thread. A couple of questions for you helpful Brits:

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to get from Oxford to Stanstead Airport? Would that be doable within Sunday afternoon, or cutting it too close timewise? Perhaps it would be better to stay a night and go on Monday.

Friday evening's dinner seems rather expensive - is it worth it? Is that the place to meet lots of people already, or do most skip it?

More questions as they come up...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #70
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post

Friday evening's dinner seems rather expensive - is it worth it? Is that the place to meet lots of people already, or do most skip it?
Well, last year there was a mix up with the Lamb - they didn't cook enough & there was nearly a riot! (Well, actually, being the Tolkien Society, there were a few people grumbling under their breath....... ). The few times I've had the meal its been fine. The food is usually very good. Avoid the kebab van though, as a few people went down with food poisoning a couple of years back

Oh, btw, for anyone who hasn't seen it, there's more trouble at t'mill in November http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1187283136
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #71
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, it's official now - I'm coming to Oxonmoot! And I'm bringing another Downer - but I'll let her tell (and keep you all in suspense a bit longer). We'll also be seeing the LotR musical in London a few days before the event.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #72
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Shall we plan an official Downs meeting at Oxonmoot? It would be nice to get us all together! I haven't found an official programme yet, but it seems that Friday evening would be a good opportunity, if no official activities are planned for then. Will all be in Oxford by then? Otherwise, please suggest alternatives.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #73
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Eye

A grand idea Estelyn!
I myself should be in Oxford from around 3 o'clock depending on the trains (or if my older brother does decide to take me after all).
Could someone of better Oxfordian knowledge tell us if the Bird n' Baby is anywhere near Lady Margret Hall and if that would be a suitable meeting place. Although, I expect it will be pretty crowded on an Oxonmoot weekend.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #74
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

According to the website, Lady Margaret Hall is located "a little out of the city centre". That probably means a rather long walk to get to the B&B. As I have no idea what the campus is like, I don't know where we could meet - if the weather is good, outside would work, but who knows that in this rainy summer?!

edit: I checked out the LMH website, and it says it's a 15 minute walk to the city centre.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #75
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I was rather younger and fitter in my Oxford days but it is a perfectly easy walk from LMH to the Bird and Baby - I used to have the occasional lecture at Norham Gardens. Obviously not as close as Somervile but ...

I haven't booked yet - I haven't decided if I am staying up yet and if so whether for 1 or 2 nights. But don't let that stop you... it took me hours to pluck up the courage to introduce myself to Dave and Lal so it would take well beyond Friday night to meet people I know less...

I always prefered the Lamb and Flag but I believe it has been tarted up now it used to be very Inspector Morse...

Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #76
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Why not meet under Tolkien's pinus nigra in the Botanical Gardens? It's just off High Street by the river, which would provide a meandering walk to Lady Margaret Hall.

As I recall, even with a bad knee, most of Oxford was quite walkable, even from the cemetary to High Street. That includes the B&B, the Lamb, and the Mitre.

If only there weren't those protestors at Heathrow complaining about all the polluting air travellers! And only if such air fair were more reasonable.

I suppose I could set up a paypal account and ask for donations for the travel costs. I recall burrahobbit doing that. Think it would work for me? Will Downers help me make my way East?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #77
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Well, it's official now - I'm coming to Oxonmoot! And I'm bringing another Downer - but I'll let her tell (and keep you all in suspense a bit longer). We'll also be seeing the LotR musical in London a few days before the event.
Now I have booked the flight I can tell you that it's me who is coming to the Oxonmoot (for the first time) with Esty!
I am very much looking forward to it and to meeting other Downers. (But a bit scared, too! My spoken English is no way as good as my written and since I have shamefully neglected the Downs of late perhaps nobody will remember me anyway...)

Bethberry, I sure would love to meet you too! But the journey is really rather disproportionate...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #78
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
A grand idea Estelyn!
I myself should be in Oxford from around 3 o'clock depending on the trains (or if my older brother does decide to take me after all).
Could someone of better Oxfordian knowledge tell us if the Bird n' Baby is anywhere near Lady Margret Hall and if that would be a suitable meeting place. Although, I expect it will be pretty crowded on an Oxonmoot weekend.
You'd be surprised. We met up with Alan from the TS in there last year on the Friday and it was lovely and quiet! Though the landlord had renamed all his (delicious) pub grub to things like Saruman Stew etc.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #79
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Hurrah! I just got my Oxonmoot progress Report through the post! The whole weekend looks like it'll be a whole lot of fun!

Also, I was surprised to find my name in the book! Hadnot expected that. Especially as it went along with my 'Hookbill' pseudonym. I know I could have thought of something a little more Tolkien related, but I went with that just in case any Downers were there and would have no idea who I was.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #80
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My progress report just arrived in the mail this morning! Guinevere's and my name are not yet on the list - I guess we registered after printing. I didn't see narfforc's name either, but since he said he's coming, I assume he registered later as well. I know better than to expect Lal and davem, due to ... circumstances. And I'm happy to know at least a few people on the list from the German Tolkien Society. Among others, Anke Eissmann will be there, and I'm sure she'll bring her folio and some artwork for those interested.

Now that it's out, I can tell you one of the main motivations for my coming - the Cambridge Society's performances! I saw two members at the German Tolkien Seminar this spring, and they told me that they were planning to do both "Lord of the Goons" and the LotR reading. As I have fond memories of both performances from Birmingham in 2005, that was a real incentive! After several days of lectures about Tolkien and his works, I found it refreshing (in Tolkien's own sense of the word) to hear the words of the story itself, and the dramatic reading moved me to tears (no mean feat!). And the parody had me and the rest of the audience in stitches.

The weekend's going to be great! As registration doesn't start till 5:30 pm, Friday afternoon does sound like the best time for an informal meeting of Downers. We could try for the B&B (Eagle and Child); should it actually be too full, we can go elsewhere from there. We'll try to get into Oxford around 3 pm, then allowing for a bit of walking, should be at the pub a bit later. I have no idea what train times will be like, but it'll work out, I'm sure.

It might be a good idea to exchange mobile phone numbers by PM...