The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #1081
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I clearly need a sort of witness protection programme to save me from the Downers' collective unconscious....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #1082
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
They also changed my birth date to November 15th 1996 phone.
So you were 12? That's interesting...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #1083
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Subconscious Invasion! I love that!

Ah....we are all insane I swear....
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #1084
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Last night I had a dream about the latest WW game. I was in this huge arena covered with sand, and I was fighting someone who looked like Brinniel's avator. As I was fighting her, the Saucepan Man and Hookbill the Goomba jumped down from the stadium and started to through Newspapers at us.

Then, after the fight, someone was getting married to Nogrod. When they both said I do Thinlomien started screaming and jumped up and down. Then Volo yelled at her to be quiet and that she was disturbing the peace, then he shot her!

I woke up smiling!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #1085
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Groin, you have a gift of foresight.

When Lommy is annoyed she does jump up and down.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #1086
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Groin, you have a gift of foresight.

I hope he doesn't have too much of a gift of foresight...
Quote:
Then Volo yelled at her to be quiet and that she was disturbing the peace, then he shot her!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #1087
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Well, you know, maybe it isn't foresight, but (without being too proud) subconscious influence of my narration...

Anyway, Groin, that was a hilarious dream (except for letting Volo shoot poor Lommy! Or letting poor Volo shoot poor Lommy, to be precise.) If you didn't make it up, I think you can expect a good carier as one of the crazy BD dreamers...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #1088
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, you know, maybe it isn't foresight, but (without being too proud) subconscious influence of my narration...
You two can share the first prize, then.

edit, because I forgot the other thing I was to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Anyway, Groin, that was a hilarious dream (except for letting Volo shoot poor Lommy!
I thought that was the most hilarious part.

Last edited by Aganzir; 01-29-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #1089
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Absolutely hilarious, Groin! I just had the laughs of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Let's not exaggerate, Agan dear. Usually she just stamps the ground with one foot You need to really annoy her to get her jumping up and down. Trust me. I've tried.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #1090
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Then, after the fight, someone was getting married to Nogrod. When they both said I do Thinlomien started screaming and jumped up and down.
Did you have any general idea with whom I was getting married with Groin? It would be nice to know...

And if that miracle should happen I only hope Lommy's reaction to it would be it bit more positive one...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #1091
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
You need to really annoy her to get her jumping up and down.
I don't mean to be self-satisfied, but I think I've got her jumping more times than I've got her to stamp the ground with one foot.

[/offtopic]
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #1092
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Oh dear!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #1093
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up I can't deny I laughed...

But seriously, you're all nuts.

Groin, of course, is especially so. For considering how the dream ended, I'm not sure if this is appropriate:
Quote:
I woke up smiling!

But who says I wasn't screaming and jumping of joy? Why all the instant negative interpretations?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #1094
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Did you have any general idea with whom I was getting married with Groin? It would be nice to know...

And if that miracle should happen I only hope Lommy's reaction to it would be it bit more positive one...
Do you know anybody with long brown hair? That's all I could remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlomien
But who says I wasn't screaming and jumping of joy? Why all the instant negative interpretations?
Exactely, it was more of an excited screaming and jumping that you were doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Oh dear!
You have quite a temper, Volo. Remind me never to get on your bad side!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1095
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Wow. Just wow.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #1096
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I had a really, REALLY, bizarre dream last night.

It was really long and weird, but one bit was to do with the Downs.

A friend and I were running away from some crazy person and we went to the train station in Parbold. The road barriers came down and we looked to see which direction the train was coming from. But no train came. What did come was a small silver car-like thing being driven by Nogrod. Every so often it sent up small fireworks. We were worried that this would attract the attention of the crazy person. But when my friend asked about the car thing, I just said, "Oh, don't worry, it's just someone from the Barrow Downs." and that was that.

I think I need a lie down.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #1097
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Did the crazy person ever catch you?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #1098
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Did the crazy person ever catch you?

No, but there was an interesting scene where we were on a train and the crazy person was banging on the window trying to get in. But then some bank managers came along and sorted it all out... Yes.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #1099
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Well I must admit I'd like to try "a small silver car-like thing". It would be cool indeed!

And sending fireworks as it goes?

(even if I'm opposed to cars in principle - at least when it comes to people like me who do live in a city and not in a suburbian nightmare).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
But no train came.
but there was an interesting scene where we were on a train and the crazy person was banging on the window trying to get in. But then some bank managers came along and sorted it all out...
So there was the train in the end... Well that's normal. But bank managers as the heroes of your dream saving you and your friend? Ever thought of trying the couch or getting rid of your loan a.s.a.p.?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #1100
Volo

My conscience came haunting me.

I had a dream in which I got a half-worried half-nasty sms from Aganzir, saying that Leggie and Noggie were writing narrations for my WW. Some other players too, such as Ka, wanted to write their death narrations themselves. (And I know that Lommy would also join them.)

After that I got a postive rep from morm for this. He told me that my narrations in this game are slightly better than in the first game I modded, but that getting 21 from a 20-sided die is physically impossible. I think he even added a link to some website where it was explained.

Don't forget the narrations, but don't worry either. I'll bring it to a more suitable finish when I find the time which is soon. The feel of the game might be already dissolved, but I have some crazy ideas which I want to use.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #1101
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Volo, if it's any consolation I enjoyed all your narrations, especially my own. I thought they were hilarious.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #1102
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Do you know anybody with long brown hair?
I have long brown hair! But nobody on the Downs knows me personally except Lauri!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #1103
Volo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Volo, if it's any consolation I enjoyed all your narrations, especially my own. I thought they were hilarious.
Thank you! I like them too and it's not a matter of that. It's just that there is too much stuff going on and though I'd like to write narrations, I have to get other stuff done first.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 AM   #1104
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I forgot to mention that during my last WW game, when I became a wolf, I had many WW dreams. It was driving me nuts because I wanted to get on here and post that I had dreams of WW in general and of me being a WW but I couldn't. Now that's it's been so long I cannot remember the details but needless to say I didn't sleep very well.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #1105
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Well I must admit I'd like to try "a small silver car-like thing". It would be cool indeed!
Well I have a small silver car like thing ... my car in fact ... which someone criticised me buying even though I live in a public transport blackspot ... but I don't like the sound of the fireworks..

Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #1106
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I clearly need a sort of witness protection programme to save me from the Downers' collective unconscious....
Don't you like being in our dreams? I mean not all of them are bad.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #1107
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Look at the bright side of it, the collective unconscious might be turned into collective conscious and we won't need the forum to discuss things anymore. Wouldn't it be cool if you could just switch to BD-mode anywhere and play WW. Sure would make Swedish lessons more interesting.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #1108
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Don't you like being in our dreams? I mean not all of them are bad.
Having quickly searched the thread for refs to me.. I retract ..I really just need to be protected from Lommie's subconscious. She has had me attacked by a multitude of suicide bombers, dying (alongside Boromir88), and metamorphosing from David Beckham.

Yours was sweet ..I don't need to be protected from you

Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #1109
Volo

I had a long dream with a Downs theme going on, but it was mostly just some Downer being around.

First I tried to get people who I mostly didn't know to join the Downs. So we went to a library where we could find computers and entered the Downs which turned out to be a small village-like place. Every new member got a PM from Hookbill with some general welcome talk, a picture of a dragon and The latest Downer. One of the new members, a guy I went to confirmation camp with, got very excited about The Downer as there was a long red snake-like cord in the picture. He pulled the cord out and tried to strangle me.

While the guy was messing around with the cord I noticed that Mith had a new title. I went the Title-thread and saw that somebody had posted that it's even wierder than Volo's, in a positive sense. I agreed. Then I somehow I found myself at home. "Mith got a great new PT!" I told my mum. She looked at me suspiciously and was about to say something, when I said, "Oh, right. You don't know anything about that..." She shrugged, sighed and went off to do whatever she was doing.

I was back at the Downs village with my three-year-old brother. We walked to a wooden table, where Hookbill sat. My brother had something to ask so he asked, in Finnish. Hookbill was confused and said something in English to which my brother answered again in Finnish. He was obviously playing, because he could understand what Hookbill was saying and could just as well answer in English but didn't. Soon Hookbill got annoyed and pulled my brother away from the table.

Later in the dream there was a sruggle of some kind - I still don't know why - between two big concrete buildings.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #1110
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I had a confusing dream yesterday, where the Downers could give things to each other through the monitor. You simply reached your hand and whatever you put inside your monitor was accessible for everyone. I remember when there were more people posting (it was more like a chat) on one thread, Roa offered them coffee she had at home. So people could take a cup and place it inside the monitor (while still holding it), and then from the top of the monitor Roa's hand with a pot of coffee appeared and filled the cup. Then I remember several Downers, including Hookbill and Volo, started to exchange some medicaments this way, because some of them were ill. And that's all I remember.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #1111
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Exposed!

Had an odd BD dream last night. As a rule, I tend to be a private person, and it took me a while to post pictures of the family (now, clearly I'm over that). Anyway, so in last night's dream I was reading the Barrow Downs and came across a post that stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't know
The true identity of alatar is in fact Mr. ____ ____!
There it was. My name centered across the page! Privacy invaded! Honey! Kids! Start packing...we need to leave now!

Okay, so I've been watching too much Terminator.

My first thought was to wonder who had posted the information, and how s/he had obtained it, and considered if any old nemesis had recently joined the Downs. Then onto offense; how to get the post removed, figure out how many persons viewed it and how to start an obfuscation campaign that would make anyone's brain hurt should s/he even ponder what my name was.

Guess as I woke up that little corner of humility that I have yet to expunge kicked in and said, "alatar, who would in reality really care?"
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #1112
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Alatar - that's quite funny.

I think I've had more than one vague BD dream lately and they have been mostly ww-related. Menel appeared in one and in the latest one there was a werewolf game going on and the wolves were Agan, Legate and Shasta.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #1113
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Discontinuation symptoms?

I have had a quite long Downs-related dream yesterday. It consisted of several parts, but I am posting only the two funnier parts of it.

First, in the dream Groin Redbeard played Paper Telephone and when it was his turn to write, the silly Dwarf posted on the thread: "My picture was so funny, I wanted to describe it all, but that would've been too long, so I wrote just: (he quoted his sentence) and I didn't mention (he wrote about all the things that have been on the picture and were not included in his sentence)." I was thinking "oh, my" and started to write a post, explaining him that PT is about surprise and that he is not supposed to tell us what he was writing or drawing.

Then, Farael's WW "Mist in the Barrow-Downs" game started, but it continued still on the same thread. Farael posted the beginning narration, which was only about six lines long and most of it was something like: "You have the escribed circle around a square. The circle's radius is 3 cm. You also have an equation y=5x/7. Tell me the y if you know x is the length of the side of the square." The game started and I started to write a new post, in which I was making the calculations. It took me about an hour. At last I finished, submitted the post, and saw that I cross-posted with all the players (though my post was third in the line from the top; there were posts after me that had already written inside them "x-ed with Legate"). I remember Aganzir's and Ka's (who was also playing) posts were right after mine, and they both had different results of the equation (different from me and different from each other). And Aganzir wrote "EDIT: mine is wrong" and Ka wrote a post explaining to me in a very subtle way that I have it wrong as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #1114
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I was thinking "oh, my" and started to write a post, explaining him that PT is about surprise and that he is not supposed to tell us what he was writing or drawing.
I wonder what it is that everybody (ie. me, Lommy, you at least) dream that Groin doesn't really know how certain games (or threads) work.

Anyway, my subconscious seems to have lately taken to the habit of pairing Legate off with some male Downers.

I assure you don't want to know more, just thought I'd mention.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #1115
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Anyway, my subconscious seems to have lately taken to the habit of pairing Legate off with some male Downers.

I assure you don't want to know more, just thought I'd mention.
I always said you have some strange subconscious needs, maybe it's a psychic flaw, you know, to pair people... but lately, it's getting out of hand. And no, I don't want to know (though, as the classic says, "I cannot imagine what information could be more terrifying than your hints and warnings").
Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #1116
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Some minor dreams I've had during the last few weeks

In one dream, there was a WW game running and sally and I were fellow wolves. However, sally had gone missing. No one knew about her and everybody was pretty worried. Someone posted on The Barrow-Downs forum a thread, asking where she was. The dream ended before I got to know what had happened to her.

In another dream, it was summer and I was wandering around Helsinki. Suddenly I bumped into Rune. He was wearing a Marx mask made of card-board and he was drinking some disgusting-looking mix of beer and coke. He didn't recognise me and went to some bar, and I didn't greet him either. Later in the dream, I told Lommy that I had seen him. She wasn't interested.

Then there was one dream in which I was talking with Ka. I don't remember anymore what we spoke about, but she was very enthusiastic about the subject.

Last night I had a dream I was in a grocery with a friend. The shopkeeper asked my friend if she'd like to come and work there. "We need more cashiers so that Groin Redbeard doesn't always have to take the worst shifts," he said. Poor Groin! we thought, do they force him to do all the night shifts?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #1117
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This doesn't really count as a dream, I guess, but since I can never remember mine, I thought I'd take the opportunity to finally post something here.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone with Rikae. It got quite late once more and, shamefully, I dozed off at some point. She later told me that when she asked me why I was silent, I answered in my sleep: "I'm replying to Saucepan".

If only I knew what I was going to post and on which thread.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #1118
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Finally!

I was dreaming about Homestar Runner cartoons, in one segment the Cheat & Strong Sad were arguing about something, and Master Hookbill kept jumping in yelling "Throw ice at it!".

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #1119
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I was dreaming about Homestar Runner cartoons, in one segment the Cheat & Strong Sad were arguing about something, and Master Hookbill kept jumping in yelling "Throw ice at it!".
It really is the only way to deal with arguments.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #1120
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
This doesn't really count as a dream, I guess, but since I can never remember mine, I thought I'd take the opportunity to finally post something here.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone with Rikae. It got quite late once more and, shamefully, I dozed off at some point. She later told me that when she asked me why I was silent, I answered in my sleep: "I'm replying to Saucepan".

If only I knew what I was going to post and on which thread.
That's marvelous.