The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #961
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
When you see a costume rental called Lavem and you find it amusing because it makes you think about Lalwendë and davem...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #962
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
A sign in itself...

I'm still around.

Even if less frequently so

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #963
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
In the place where I attend art classes, there's a wall some children have painted to. One of the paintings is a crippled Superman who, I think, looks exactly like littlemanpoet. It amuses me very much every time I see it, and lately (unless I misheard) Lommy has also agreed that it looks like him.
Haha! And I have a Latvian friend who looks exactly like Elempi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
OH, MY!!!

A sign of addiction: When you have a folder in your computer, called "Barrow-downs", and it has 195 MB!!! And don't ask me what's inside it so that it's so big - I don't know even myself! The biggest files I can think of and I know they are there are Paper Telephone concepts. But still.
indeed! I have 44MB and I regard that a lot.

My own addiction that I noticed about a week ago but couldn't post here (I was afraid I would forget it - another addiction?) is that when having to make a collective desicion I "vote". I've been doing that for a longer period of time, but never before WW.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #964
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
When you (and Nogrod, mind you) are quite convinced that Lommy is talking about legative feelings instead of negative...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #965
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
When you (and Nogrod, mind you) are quite convinced that Lommy is talking about legative feelings instead of negative...
That's actually true...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #966
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
That's actually true...
Yeah right, what did you expect?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #967
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Yes, I often make ex tempore aphorisms like "legative feelings are like warts; they must be frozen"... (Not that it was a good ex tempore aphorism in any case... ) I only wonder what does the word legative mean? Does it have something to do with legislation?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #968
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
This was on the assigned to Mordor thread, but I think Kath was right in suggesting it belongs here as well:

When you feel the need to clarify "WWII" by adding "the war, not the werewolf game."

(Hey, at least Mac and I are on the same side in some werewolf games...)
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #969
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just one typo away from 'Legotive' feelings. I'm sure Formendacil would identify.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #970
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Just one typo away from 'Legotive' feelings. I'm sure Formendacil would identify.
Haha, but actually legotive reminds me more of Legolas-tive than actual legos... I guess this belongs to the You Know You're Obsessed with LotR when... -thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #971
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
When you, for one of the first times, become so absorbed in WW that you contemplate the method of brushing your teeth and tying your shoes at the same time.

Or, (as what happened in Volo's last WW):

Your friends eventually start reading WW with you, and play backseat WW player to the point of giggling...

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #972
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When you spend your Swedish lesson by studying the US map on the classroom wall and try to find as many 'downer locations you can instead of studying the chapter that you know will be in the exam...

Or alternatively, what I'm doing now: when during a media lesson you should be looking for information on a designer you're going to interview, you go to 'downs instead.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #973
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
When you spend your Swedish lesson by studying the US map on the classroom wall and try to find as many 'downer locations you can instead of studying the chapter that you know will be in the exam...

You'll never find me! NEVER!!!!

When you know you're running late for class, but you just HAVE to check the Downs anyway. *sigh* Ah, addiction.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #974
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Just south of the middle of Lake Ontario.

And for me:
...when your understanding of European geography is dramatically improved because of your interest in downers' locations. Not only wasn't I paying much attention in 4th grade "social studies", but the map looked very different then!
(perhaps this belongs in "Thanks Downers"?)
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #975
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Just south of the middle of Lake Ontario.

And for me:
...when your understanding of European geography is dramatically improved because of your interest in downers' locations. Not only wasn't I paying much attention in 4th grade "social studies", but the map looked very different then!
(perhaps this belongs in "Thanks Downers"?)
Now, you know, I had to find Lake Ontario this time. Funny, I could say my knowledge of US geography has improved lately because of BD, but it's still mostly limited to "Texas and Florida are in south, California in west, Alaska in north-west and New York in the east".

Also, this BD-addiction is ruining my French studies: the French word for comics is BD (short for bande dessinée) and you can guess what kept springing to my mind when we were reading a chapter about Asterix and comics in general.... *sigh*
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #976
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Now, you know, I had to find Lake Ontario this time. Funny, I could say my knowledge of US geography has improved lately because of BD, but it's still mostly limited to "Texas and Florida are in south, California in west, Alaska in north-west and New York in the east".

Hey, I can help you out with that one. All that above too, and Nebraska's right in the middle....of nowhere....

I'm in a WW game, I'm dead, and I STILL am constantly checking the thread.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #977
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
All you need to know is that South= good & North= bad!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #978
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
You know, its statements like that that start wars.

Being addicted to the Downs often manifests itself in scary ways... Especially when several of your notebooks for University are full of sketches of possible cartoon versions of Downers for The Phantom and Alien.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #979
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
So your one of them, eh?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #980
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I was at work today (I work the phones at a....well, let's just say it's generalized customer service because it's difficult to explain) and I spoke to a gentleman named Mr. McCabe. I just couldn't get his name out; kept trying to call him "Mister McCobbler." I almost had to hang up on the poor guy because I was laughing so hard.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #981
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I was at work today (I work the phones at a....well, let's just say it's generalized customer service because it's difficult to explain) and I spoke to a gentleman named Mr. McCabe. I just couldn't get his name out; kept trying to call him "Mister McCobbler." I almost had to hang up on the poor guy because I was laughing so hard.
haha, you just made my day
Old 03-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #982
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Hehe, you're welcome. By the way, congrats on the 100th post!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #983
Volo

Hih! "The fate of the innocent(s) is in your hands." -my English book. Nah, no more WW today.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #984
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Who won the %$^# war, anyway?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #985
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Who won the %$^# war, anyway?
The North. And thank God they did, too. We would have likely been Brittish again if they hadn't.

You know you're addicted to the Barrow Downs when you read this thread and nod at almost every post posted.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #986
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
The North. And thank God they did, too. We would have likely been Brittish again if they hadn't.

You know you're addicted to the Barrow Downs when you read this thread and nod at almost every post posted.
Fowlren, you totally just made me giggle. Half because I'd had the same thought about the war, and half because I can scroll through the thread and pretty much be "That's me!" to almost any post. Okay, 3/4 about the war. *envisions herself and her friends sitting around, drinking little cups of tea and watching Andy Griffith* Why lie about it?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #987
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I just nodded in agreement at that post without even thinking about my actions.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #988
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Hih! "The fate of the innocent(s) is in your hands." -my English book. Nah, no more WW today.
I had a similar feeling when listening to the song "Temptation Waits" by Garbage where the lyrics start with "I'll tell you something, I am a wolf but I like to wear sheep's clothing"
Old 03-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #989
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I had a similar feeling when listening to the song "Temptation Waits" by Garbage where the lyrics start with "I'll tell you something, I am a wolf but I like to wear sheep's clothing"
In fact I had that as a signature after some ww game in which I was a wolf....

I had the similar association when listening to Johnny Cash's The Mercy Seat
Quote:
It began when they come took me from my home
And put me in Dead Row,
Of which I am nearly wholly innocent, you know.
And I'll say it again
I..am..not..afraid..to..die.
It must just have been the word "innocent"...

Secondly, I found an old issue of National Geographic and one of the headings was "Death Valley" and it made me instantly think of WWJIII - Nan Qualinmérë, Death Wish Valley - which was played more than two years ago. But maybe I have to take into account that I have been doing grimoire researchs lately...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #990
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Actually, I got similar feeling last year when listening to Roger Waters' song "The Powers That Be":
Quote:
They like a tough game, no rules, some you win, some you lose (...)
They like fear and loathing, they like sheep's clothing
They are of course the Werewolves. In fact, I spent some time playing with the lyrics back then and wanted to make it a song about WW. Not that hard, I think.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #991
Volo

When you have to use a forum for a school project, the first thing you do is go and complain to the admin about the flood of "hi"-titled threads.

Quite a pathetic forum that one , so just to be nasty I put this one as my homepage.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #992
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Hm... similar to Lommy and Legate's points -- a couple games ago I started hearing the lyric "I am aware now" in Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette as "I am a werewolf..."
It really sounds like it, I swear.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #993
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you think that creating a new thread about songs that remind you of Werewolf might actually be a good idea.

I'll add Placebo's Haemoglobin

Quote:
As they drag me to my feet
I was filled with incoherence
Theories of conspiracy
The whole world wants my disappearance
I'll go fighting nail and teeth
You've never seen such perseverance
Gonna make you scared of me
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #994
Volo

I don't have a specific WW song, but I noticed that I stopped to think if the singer is bluffing and truly a Wolf.

Don't you think we need a Wolf-smiley by now?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #995
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I stopped to think if the singer is bluffing and truly a Wolf.
The "nail and teeth" line could be a slip...

Another sign:
You study for your philosophy midterm using a WW-analysis format.

Aristotle – Probably innocent, at least because of his interations with Platowolf...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #996
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

What about the following?

1) Your friend tells you a hilarious dream of hers and you almost tell her to post in BD dreams, even though she's not a 'downer and the dream is not 'downs-related.

2) You leaf through a manual for some gadget and when you first accidently come across with the Czech version you decide to look for more funny languages and you happen to open the page in Danish and when you try again you hit the German instructions and this all makes you think: "really creepy... this must be magic: 'downer languages...."

3) Probably if someone counted how many times per day I think about BD or ww or anything related to them, the result would be quite alarming...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #997
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
2) You leaf through a manual for some gadget and when you first accidently come across with the Czech version you decide to look for more funny languages and you happen to open the page in Danish and when you try again you hit the German instructions and this all makes you think: "really creepy... this must be magic: 'downer languages...."
As long as you didn't find Fungoltch and Shcmurt's language.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #998
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
3) Probably if someone counted how many times per day I think about BD or ww or anything related to them, the result would be quite alarming...
I think how many hours per day will be more appropriate. Because some two weeks ago, I was traveling to the other side of the city, which took about an hour; and because of too many people in the traffic I was not able to open and read a book as I am used to, I was thinking all the way - and thinking about Downs-related things. It felt really strange to concentrate for an hour, without interruption, on thinking just about the Downs.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #999
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think how many hours per day will be more appropriate. Because some two weeks ago, I was traveling to the other side of the city, which took about an hour; and because of too many people in the traffic I was not able to open and read a book as I am used to, I was thinking all the way - and thinking about Downs-related things.It felt really strange to concentrate for an hour, without interruption, on thinking just about the Downs.
That's a bit crazy. Although I must admit having thought about the 'downs for long times at nights when trying to sleep, but admittedly it has mostly been werewolf those times. And not being able to sleep because of werewolf is something really bad...
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #1000
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
That's a bit crazy. Although I must admit having thought about the 'downs for long times at nights when trying to sleep, but admittedly it has mostly been werewolf those times. And not being able to sleep because of werewolf is something really bad...
Well I didn't have such problems with Werewolf, fortunately... although recently, I had problems to fall asleep when I suddenly got an idea for a WW setting after I went to bed. One cannot simply fall asleep with a sudden inspiration and interesting ideas unfolding in his mind.

But what are you saying, a bit? That's an euphemism, to be sure.