The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Melkor is the saviour of mankind

I've read in many places that men couldn't cope in the undying land and that their lot there would be miserable what would have happened if Melkor had not driven the Valar out of Middle Earth. Men would have arisen and lived extremly short lives, hungering after immortality that was about them so thanks to Melkor and his marring of Middle Earth men had a place where it was possible for them to live happily. I don't think Melkor intended this but I suppose it is a by product to his war on the Valar. The Valar who we know were error prone would not have realised that the paradise they created would harm men.

So I think it is right for men to worship Melkor as he saved them from the tyranny of the Valar EDIT:even unintended tyranny as it supposedly was

Last edited by hewhoarisesinmight; 01-25-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
I've read in many places that men couldn't cope in the undying land and that their lot there would be miserable what would have happened if Melkor had not driven the Valar out of Middle Earth. Men would have arisen and lived extremly short lives, hungering after immortality that was about them so thanks to Melkor and his marring of Middle Earth men had a place where it was possible for them to live happily. I don't think Melkor intended this but I suppose it is a by product to his war on the Valar. The Valar who we know were error prone would not have realised that the paradise they created would harm men.

So I think it is right for men to worship Melkor as he saved them from the tyranny of the Valar EDIT:even unintended tyranny as it supposedly was
Now that question just invites flame. But you won't get it from me because it's a fair point!

Just what was it that made Melkor such an attractive proposition? What was it that made Eru and Valar unattractive?

Of course the Valar eventually retreated over to Valinor and there they made their home; this was also the 'natural' place for the Elves to abide, and though they were not forced to go there, it was viewed as inappropriate for them to remain in Middle-earth. Valinor, as it says in The Silmarillion was a Perilous Realm for Men:

Quote:
'The Doom of the World,' they said, 'One alone can change who made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land of Manwe that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a light too strong and steadfast.'
So to live too close to the Valar and Elves would be difficult for Men, they would fade all the more quickly as they would be close to far too many Fear that burned brightly, strongly and eternally; their own Fear would perish in such a Light. It's well worth asking if the presence of a whole phalanx of Valar in Middle-earth would make it unbearable for Men's Fear. I happen to think it also has something to do with an essential difference in nature between Valar/Elves and Men; that the Valar are impotent in the face of the rebellion of the Numenoreans and have to resort to Eru's help speaks volumes about their 'power', or lack of it, over Men's Free Will. And of course part of that nature is that the Valar and Elves are tied to the earth and cannot leave it whereas Men are Free.

There's a lot of truth in saying that Men who did not linger around Elves would also not be likely to learn about and hence yearn for Immortality. In that respect Melkor did do them a good service. But he also drove out a lot of knowledge and Art.

I wouldn't say they were right to worship Melkor though. I'd rather have been like a Hobbit and worshipped nothing but pipe-weed and ale.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

An interesting hypothesis.

The 'doom' of men was to leave the world for they were not bound to it. The Silmarillion tells us that their mortality was the gift of Eru (that, in itself is a whole other topic) so it was certainly against their nature to be immortal while in Middle Earth. Weather or not they had an afterlife different to the life of Arda, we know not and can only speculate.

Let us assume, for argument's sake, that there was some kind of afterlife for men after they died in Arda. Logic dictates that this would be something they would be more adapt to, else they wouldn't get it; they can't live indefinitely in Arda because they are not adapt to it. To ask weather or not it would be better for them not to exist or such is a question we cannot answer because we do not know what it would be like to not exist and so have no point of comparison.

Melkor's coming distracted them from this, yes and you could argue that the reaction of the Numenorians was proof that Melkor's distracting them was a good thing. But then one could argue that the other races upon Middle Earth seemed much contented (including the Dwarves, but that is a different subject).

In short... I don't know.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Interesting. This might be one more of the cases where Melkor's misdeed played into the hands of Eru in the end.

In the Akallabeth it is said that the Undying Lands don't confer immortality, but that the immortals hallow it. This suggests that, if Aman was not a place Men could abide in without suffering, the world before Aman was made, and where immortals were all over the place, would have the same effect. The world, the way the Valar made it, would be uninhabitable for Men - without the Valar's intention, of course. Then, again without intention, Melkor comes around and drives a good deal of the immortals away, mars here and there, and thus makes the world bearable for the second Children.

But it is intention which counts. Though everybody likes snowflakes, nobody thanks Melkor for them.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Leaf

If I continue on Hookbill's thoughts on afterlife, if it was supposed to be something the Men fitted better to, then Melkor certainly did a very awful job to scare them of death. And also, I'd think that for example the Númenoreans who worshiped Melkor (convinced that Eru is a phantom - TP???) would be quite, you know, perplexed after death. But these are just speculations, only random thoughts on that topic.

Which brings me to - hewhoarisesinmight, you are actually saying, I believe, more or less the things that Sauron said to Ar-Pharazon. "His name is Melkor, the Giver of Freedom."
Gandalf would possibly call it "Repeating the lies I always heard only from the mouths of the emissaries of Barad-Dur." I am not saying what you imply here is not true. But it is about twisting (the world often associated with Melkor, Sauron etc.) the point of view: I think it is right to assume that the presence of Valar in ME wouldn't be good for Men, it is the same as if they were in Aman, as Lal said. This was not their "cup of tea". This way, they could thank Melkor for this. But:
1) Don't forget that Melkor was Vala as well (Vala, is that what you said? Then your oath is sworn in vain!)
2) I highly doubt that the Men would have "peaceful life". We saw this at Númenor, and I think if Melkor ruled M-E, it would look similar. For example I highly doubt that most of the people there would like to participate on these human sacrifices (not mentioning that you always need someone to sacrifice).
3) As Lal said, a lot of Knowledge and Art would be lost. Especially for the "elf-lovers" this would certainly be a bad time. Lal, as you said about the hobbits, I'd like the same with for example walks in the forests under starlit skies, singing... but I am somehow afraid that part of the forests might have been burning and part of the stars will be clouded by black smoke from more Thangorodrim-like things. Mmm... also reminds me at the times of Ar-Adunakhor and further, the Elves ceased to come back to the shores of Númenor...
4) Worshiping Melkor for him getting rid of Valar is one thing, but this is the twisting I speak about: we seem to be forgetting that the other Valar had their parts in shaping Arda, and more than Melkor (although he did as well). "And many here worked no less than you." And I consider it important to have in mind that if there was "freedom" (if they'd have any, see #2) for which they could thank Melkor, they'd have to thank the same way Ulmo for water, Manwë for clouds, Yavanna for fruit and trees and vegetables, and so on.
5) And, please, mainly: Whatever Melkor did for Men's "freedom", it was obviously unintentional. So I wouldn't even worship him for it. The Valar created the world intentionally and when they came down to Arda, they knew that they are preparing something for the Children of Ilúvatar. So for these, they'd deserve the praises, for they worked on something for someone else. But Melkor didn't want anything but to get rid of Valar. And had there been

So to sum it up: Yes, perhaps Melkor did a good thing to force Valar out of Middle-Earth. But if any man wanted to worship Melkor, who did this unintentionally, I'd call it fair that he also had to worship - even more - the Valar, who shaped it, and Eru, who gave him life, so Melkor would be on the 16th place at best
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-25-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Cross-posted with [B]Maca[/B], obviously we agree on giving the most value to her last point.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Hey I think I've got a catch

I wondered when someone would bite the bait I'd set - the bit about worshiping Melkor was a joke I'm sorry Legate I'm no emissary of Sauron but one of Aberdeen Football Club I'd probably worship Melkor if he can get Aberdeen to win something this year tho...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Well, since you posted it seriously - actually I was quite surprised that you posted it in "Books" and not in "Mirth", otherwise it'd be clear - I also replied seriously. (although...) I know that it is possible to meet people who are able to seriously argue that Frodo was Bilbo's son, that Sauron had a spotlight on top of his tower, or that Balrogs have wings, so you have to seriously expose the truths before them...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Melkor should have been allowed to destroy the human race, if it was his intention (Was it?). Eru was just too gready to let go of his Children. The destruction of either Melkor or the human race would have been the greatest gift to Men.

It should be so (from the human perspective) that there is great evil or then there is nothing.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Melkor should have been allowed to destroy the human race, if it was his intention (Was it?). Eru was just too gready to let go of his Children. The destruction of either Melkor or the human race would have been the greatest gift to Men.

It should be so (from the human perspective) that there is great evil or then there is nothing.
Destroying the human race is a gift to men?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Quote:
To answer this, I can only quote C.S. Lewis... Well, I can't find the exact quote (It's from 'The Problem of Pain' if anyone has it). But it went something like this...

Quote:
"To ask 'wouldn't it have been better not to exsist' is a question we cannot answer. We have no idea what not existing would be like and therefore cannot in any true sense think that none existence would be better than existence."
I tend to agree.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

before this descends (ascends?) into a deep psychological conversation like a couple of my previous topics I'd like to point out I was serious about Melkor helping men just not serious about they should worship them

anyway I just a bit uncomfortable about the fact that men are doomed to suffer. If they go to paradise they suffer if they stay on middle earth they suffer they cannot win
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Do elves not suffer? Do dwarves no suffer? And hobbits? Don't all people of M-e or otherwise suffer? Even those not in M-e suffer.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

the elves in the undying lands don't suffer
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Such as the Teleri? How about the Vanyar on seeing their brethern leaving, did they not suffer at that? The problem is we don't know the fate of men after death. Is there a paradise for them? Will they stop 'suffering'?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
the elves in the undying lands don't suffer
What about Míriel.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

I was just thinking about Miriel but there was something about Finwe being the only one short of bliss and I'm sure the gem strewn beaches of Eldamar are better then Middle Earth anyway
Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Tar-Telperien
Animated Skeleton

Tar-Telperien has just left Hobbiton.
From My Point Of View The Valar Are Evil

hewhoarisesinmight, what a great question! I had never taken such a line of thought before. We know that this world was destined to be under the Dominion of Men eventually. Melkor did more than just about anyone to get the immortals (who Men really can't abide the proximity of for long, for a host of reasons) out of the area. In so doing, he himself (who was also an immortal, and so would have to leave eventually too) was massively weakened, allowing him to be taken from the world so Men could eek out some sort of free existence in it. This is an interesting way of viewing the situation. And after all, "Men most resemble Melkor of all the Valar". It would be easy to see him as a sort of benefactor.

However, since it was precisely Melkor's influence that caused the fear of death in Men, the good things he initiated tend to get cancelled out in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Just what was it that made Melkor such an attractive proposition? What was it that made Eru and Valar unattractive?
Assuming your question is supposed to echo the thoughts of Men when they first came into the world and met Melkor, the "Tale of Adanel" answers it fairly clearly. Men took Melkor as their master because he was the only one who would give them quick and easy answers about Life, the Universe, and Everything: "Therefore we revered him, and we were enthralled by him; and we depended upon his gifts, fearing to return to a life without them that now seemed poor and hard." Of course Men loved him. He was the only one who would pay them any attention; Eru had told them he didn't want to directly answer their questions, but preferred that they discover the answer for themselves. And we all know how much Men love attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
And also, I'd think that for example the Númenoreans who worshiped Melkor (convinced that Eru is a phantom - TP???) would be quite, you know, perplexed after death. But these are just speculations, only random thoughts on that topic.
You don't say. "...[T]hey were afraid to die and go out into the dark, the realm of the lord that they had taken; and they cursed themselves in their agony," according to the Akallabêth.

Quote:
Which brings me to - hewhoarisesinmight, you are actually saying, I believe, more or less the things that Sauron said to Ar-Pharazon. "His name is Melkor, the Giver of Freedom."
Well, Sauron said and meant more than just that. It wasn't just that Melkor would give Men strength to defy the Valar; it was also that denying Eru's existence, and the rightful supremacy of the Valar, made the Valar look like extremely malevolent Powers. By making the world seem like it was divided between the Valar and Melkor only, Sauron could easily tell the Númenóreans that they had denied Men immortality for no good reason at all and favored the Elves instead. Viewing the Valar in this sort of light makes them look cruel indeed! Hence the outright hatred and mistrust the Númenóreans had for everything they did.

Quote:
2) I highly doubt that the Men would have "peaceful life". We saw this at Númenor, and I think if Melkor ruled M-E, it would look similar. For example I highly doubt that most of the people there would like to participate on these human sacrifices (not mentioning that you always need someone to sacrifice).
I would.

Quote:
Mmm... also reminds me at the times of Ar-Adunakhor and further, the Elves ceased to come back to the shores of Númenor...
Well, technically it was during Ar-Adûnakhôr's time that the Elves stopped coming, yes... but they actually continued to make secret voyages to Númenor until Ar-Gimilzôr's time. :P

Quote:
And I consider it important to have in mind that if there was "freedom" (if they'd have any, see #2) for which they could thank Melkor, they'd have to thank the same way Ulmo for water, Manwë for clouds, Yavanna for fruit and trees and vegetables, and so on.
But the Valar didn't give us nice gifts and the answers to life that we looked for!

Quote:
And, please, mainly: Whatever Melkor did for Men's "freedom", it was obviously unintentional.
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Quote:
I sometimes feel this way too. If Men got so corrupted that Eru had to alter their lives that much, and if that potential was inherent in their being, then why should they have existed at all? Particularly if so much (namely the future of the world) depended on them.
"Ye are my children. I have sent you to dwell here. In time ye will inherit all this Earth, but first ye must be children and learn. Call on me and I shall hear; for I am watching over you." —Eru Ilúvatar
Tar-Telperien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Telperien
We know that this world was destined to be under the Dominion of Men eventually.
Old Fëanor fella would be certainly pleased hearing that
Oh, and by the way, was it not the same Melkor who first implied this idea to him?

Quote:
If Men got so corrupted that Eru had to alter their lives that much, and if that potential was inherent in their being, then why should they have existed at all? Particularly if so much (namely the future of the world) depended on them.
You happen to hit an interesting thing here. How comes that the Elves were suited to live longer (well, infinitely) in the world, but in the end, they all departed? Something strange here. "Diminish and depart."
Old 01-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #19
Tar-Telperien
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
You happen to hit an interesting thing here. How comes that the Elves were suited to live longer (well, infinitely) in the world, but in the end, they all departed? Something strange here. "Diminish and depart."
Well, what I was actually getting at is something that seems to be the "fundamental horrifying mystery of Ilúvatar's creatures". Why would Eru give the race that is least strong and understanding the tasks of healing and inheriting the Earth, and eventually singing the Second Music? Is not the race of Men utterly unqualified for such a thing, by being so weak, gullible, and quick to self-deception? This is one of the most disturbing ideas in the whole Legendarium to me. Why entrust something so deep, so important, so great with such a "foolish and wicked" race?

Here's a collection of quotes to bring this issue more fully into focus (sorry, hewhoarisesinmight, for derailing one of your threads once more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod, in the Athrabeth
This, then, I propound, was the errand of Men, not the followers, but the heirs and fulfillers of all: to heal the Marring of Arda, already foreshadowed before their devising; and to do more, as agents of the magnificence of Eru: to enlarge the Music and surpass the Vision of the World! ... I was thinking that by the Second Children we [the Elves] might have been delivered from death.... I beheld as a vision Arda Remade; and there the Eldar completed but not ended could abide in the present for ever, and there walk, maybe, with the Children of Men, their deliverers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth
What then is to be done now? For we speak as if these things are, or as if they will assuredly be. But Men have been diminished and their power is taken away. We look for no Arda Remade: darkness lies before us, into which we stare in vain. If by our aid your everlasting mansions were to be prepared, they will not be builded now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien, in the Commentary to the Athrabeth
[Finrod]... has a vision of Men as the agents of the 'unmarring' of Arda, not merely undoing the marring or evil brought by Melkor, but by producing a third thing, 'Arda Re-made'... Andreth then says that in that case the disaster to Men was appalling; for this re-making (if indeed it was the proper functioning of Men) cannot now be achieved. Finrod evidently remains in the hope that it will be achieved, though he does not say how that could be. He now sees, however, that the power of Melkor was greater than had been understood... if he had been able to change Men, and so destroy the plan.

But the power of Melkor over material things was plainly vast.... It was for this reason, no doubt, that he had been totally successful with Men.... His power was wielded over matter, and through it. But by nature the fëar of Men were in much less strong control of their hröar than was the case with the Elves.
If Finrod's reading of the situation was correct, then Men completely failed in their point of being. And yet how could they do otherwise? They were made weaker from their very beginning. Yet again we are shown why estel is "a fool's hope": Eru seems to give the most grave tasks to those who have the least ability to fulfill them! In this we see a concept that is quite foreign to Christianity: namely that the hopes of other races and the wellbeing of Creation as a whole was depending on Men to do their utmost to help. When Men failed, others suffered.

Oh, and as for the Elves diminishing, Tolkien answered that in his Commentary, as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Author's Note 7 to the Athrabeth Commentary
The 'waning' of Elvish hröar must therefore be part of the History of Arda as envisaged by Eru, and the mode in which the Elves were to make way for the Dominion of Men. The Elves find their supercession by Men a mystery, and a cause of grief; for they say that Men, at least so largely governed as they are by the evil of Melkor, have less and less love for Arda in itself, and are largely busy destroying it in the attempt to dominate it.
(This last part is bolded because it also fits in with the point I was trying to make with the other quotes above, namely, the inherent inadequacy of Men in the face of the crushing gravity of their responsibility.)
"Ye are my children. I have sent you to dwell here. In time ye will inherit all this Earth, but first ye must be children and learn. Call on me and I shall hear; for I am watching over you." —Eru Ilúvatar

Last edited by Tar-Telperien; 01-25-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, what I was actually getting at is something that seems to be the "fundamental horrifying mystery of Ilúvatar's creatures". Why would Eru give the race that is least strong and understanding the tasks of healing and inheriting the Earth, and eventually singing the Second Music? Is not the race of Men utterly unqualified for such a thing, by being so weak, gullible, and quick to self-deception? This is one of the most disturbing ideas in the whole Legendarium to me. Why entrust something so deep, so important, so great with such a "foolish and wicked" race?
(...)
Yet again we are shown why estel is "a fool's hope": Eru seems to give the most grave tasks to those who have the least ability to fulfill them! In this we see a concept that is quite foreign to Christianity: namely that the hopes of other races and the wellbeing of Creation as a whole was depending on Men to do their utmost to help.
Thanks for this - with what you wrote, you made it clear to me. I understand now why it is like that. In this we see a concept that is quite foreign to Christianity, you say. Actually, not: this is Christianity in its very definition. "Estel" as "fool's hope", I am pretty sure, is Tolkien's projection of the Christian hope to this secondary world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Corinthians 1; 21-29
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.
Okay, just to make clear answer to the question which was raised. Let's continue with the primary subject of this topic.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #21
Tar-Telperien
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Thanks for this - with what you wrote, you made it clear to me. I understand now why it is like that. In this we see a concept that is quite foreign to Christianity, you say. Actually, not: this is Christianity in its very definition. "Estel" as "fool's hope", I am pretty sure, is Tolkien's projection of the Christian hope to this secondary world.

Okay, just to make clear answer to the question which was raised. Let's continue with the primary subject of this topic.
I would like to get back on topic as well, but I must say you misunderstood my point about Christianity. What I was referring to is the idea of Mankind's "place" and "duty" in the world. In Christian tradition, humans were to be the stewards of a currently perfect planet. They could upkeep it, but couldn't do much to make it a better place, since it was already Unfallen. Thus the only direction humans, and the planet they ruled, could really go was down. But Men as presented in Tolkien's world were different: they had the potential to improve an already-Marred planet. If anything, the race of Men was much more in the situation of Christ than in that of Adam and Eve. Furthermore, other sentient races (not to mention animals, plants, etc.) would benefit from their deeds, and not just themselves. Men "let other people down" by shirking this duty. To me, this makes the idea of the "Fall of Man" a much more powerful one because, unlike Adam, they could have ennobled the entire planet.

Furthermore, estel does certainly share similarities to Christian faith. But it too is quite different; it is much more uncertainly based. It seems to come much more from within rather than being a blessing by God to the "totally depraved" soul. The hope that grounds Christianity was anchored on a God (JHVH) who was said to have interacted many times with his people (the Jews) through their history, mostly for their improvement. But Eru does not reveal himself to his Children like JHVH does. He does not give them nearly as much of a platform on which to base their trust. Christianity had centuries of Jewish tradition and hope backing it; the Messiah had been expected and hoped for for a very long time. But the word was mum on whether Eru would ever reveal himself to the Children in the world. This was a foreign concept to the Elves until Andreth mentioned it in the Athrabeth. Estel is a lot closer to the "leap of faith" that Kierkegaard (who actually did not like proofs of God's existence, believing such things to be antithetical to the extreme faith we are called to) spoke of. You have to put your all into accepting it, because it is such a difficult doctrine to believe, since there is little or no evidence from the past that it will be rewarded.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
What I was referring to is the idea of Mankind's "place" and "duty" in the world. In Christian tradition, humans were to be the stewards of a currently perfect planet. They could upkeep it, but couldn't do much to make it a better place, since it was already Unfallen.
Ah, yes, I understand now. Sorry. That's right what you say.

...One idea... if we take Middle-Earth really as "lost records of true ancient history", then this is the age when God/Eru did not yet talk to people... then after some time, when the Men are not able to "unmarr" Arda, he intervenes - he calls an individual, Abram, and then the nation of Israel, and later he reveals himself to the whole world in the person of Christ... and thus, although the Men do not seem to be fit to "repair" the world, through Christ it is reached. It seems to me like fulfiling the promise to Abram: "and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed", which in the New Testament is explained as it was meant to be Christ; so the "vision of Men as the agents of the 'unmarring' of Arda" may also refer to Christ Now this would make perfect sense

But enough of this, we still are not returning to the main topic... well, at least, I hope, we have not gone too far from it...
Old 01-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #23
Tar-Telperien
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Ah, yes, I understand now. Sorry. That's right what you say.

...One idea... if we take Middle-Earth really as "lost records of true ancient history", then this is the age when God/Eru did not yet talk to people... then after some time, when the Men are not able to "unmarr" Arda, he intervenes - he calls an individual, Abram, and then the nation of Israel, and later he reveals himself to the whole world in the person of Christ... and thus, although the Men do not seem to be fit to "repair" the world, through Christ it is reached. It seems to me like fulfiling the promise to Abram: "and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed", which in the New Testament is explained as it was meant to be Christ; so the "vision of Men as the agents of the 'unmarring' of Arda" may also refer to Christ Now this would make perfect sense

But enough of this, we still are not returning to the main topic... well, at least, I hope, we have not gone too far from it...
Of course. That is, I strongly believe, the way Tolkien viewed his constructed world as interacting with ours (especially when one considers the "Old Hope" idea discussed in the Athrabeth). That is not the way I see it, but I do think it's a bit nifty that Tolkien crafted Arda to fit that way. However, I am quite glad he left it open for interpretation (frankly, Eru and JHVH are just way too different for me to be able to see them as the same being).

Right. Back to the topic!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #24
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Sorry to keep you away from the topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
To answer this, I can only quote C.S. Lewis... Well, I can't find the exact quote (It's from 'The Problem of Pain' if anyone has it). But it went something like this...
Quote:
"To ask 'wouldn't it have been better not to exsist' is a question we cannot answer. We have no idea what not existing would be like and therefore cannot in any true sense think that none existence would be better than existence."
I tend to agree.
I think that not existing is as simple as not existing, zero.

Not existing is better than grieving, on personal level (Sure you can be of use while grieving.).

Let's put this logically:

If not existing is 0, joy is + and sadness is -, a person who is joyful for +1 and sad for -1,03, he would be "happier" is he didn't exist, for 1+(-1,03) < 0.

And I'm sure that while Morgoth does his evil, people would not be that happy and from their perspective it would be "better" not to exist. So, yes, I think that it would have been indeed a gift to humans if all of them would die. The problem is that Melkor tortured them before giving death, so in fact it would have been nice of the Valar to speed up either the destruction of Melkor or Men.

Sorry, this might have been better in the Akallabeth-topic.

EDIT: Here is a site that might be of some interest.
My post here is pretty radical, but I'm pretty sure that in a world of war, people weren't that happy. Of course the people living during peace were probably happier and actually happy, but not knowing the existance of happines (not existing yourself) would keep you away from wanting to be happy and so you would be rid of all your problems as there would be nothing to make better.

Last edited by Volo; 01-26-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
mormegil
Maundering Mage

That's a rather huge assumption to assume that all people suffered more than they found joy during their existance. Again we don't know what happens to men in Tolkien's world after death. Also, even during war, people find joy. Peace does not equal happiness nor does war equal unhappiness necessarily. Granted people tend to be happier if there is peace but your statement is far too broad. Many of the men enjoyed war and found great honor and joy in war itself.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
useless post sorry

I cannot argue with your point, hewhoarisesinmight. But worshiping Melkor seems...similar to worshiping Satan.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #27
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
So to sum it up: Yes, perhaps Melkor did a good thing to force Valar out of Middle-Earth. But if any man wanted to worship Melkor, who did this unintentionally, I'd call it fair that he also had to worship - even more - the Valar, who shaped it, and Eru, who gave him life, so Melkor would be on the 16th place at best
Quote:
Originally Posted by AINULINDALË
as the theme progressed, it came into the heart of Melkor to interweave matters of his own imagining that were not in accord with the theme of Ilúvatar, for he sought therein to increase the power and glory of the part assigned to himself...and it seemed at last that there were two musics progressing at one time before the seat of Ilúvatar, and they were utterly at variance. The one was deep and wide and beautiful...The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony, but rather a clamorous unison as of many trumpets braying upon a few notes. And it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern...

...thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'
If Melkor ended up doing something good, it was only because Eru is capable of incorporating the intention of evil (evil in this case being anything not in accord with the theme of Ilúvatar) but rather the ability of an omnipotent being to foresee and incorporate the volition of evil and make of it a greater good. (In the real world, we refer to this as Providence. ) Therefore, Melkor is not to be worshiped for his selfishness, but Eru for his foresight.